Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 132015

I noticed while driving on highways that my 09' Camry with 72K miles seemed as if I didn't have good control - like it was floating all over the road, kind of like a boat. I also noticed a creaking noise coming from left front wheel well when going over road bumps at slow speed. I had recently purchased tires so I went to tire dealership for a diagnostic. To my disbelief I was informed that my front struts (left and right) were leaking and they recommend that I replace them. Dealer wanted way to much money for the replacement so I went with my personal mechanic. My mechanic replaced all four struts, said that the coil springs appeared to be ok. Afterwards I had an alignment and balance. Shortly thereafter I went on a long distance trip, and my car was driving like a nightmare! the car handling was worse, felt like there was no space between me and the road, and the creaking noise was worse. I took it to the dealership where I purchased for a diagnostic exam and they told me I needed the front(left and right) strut mounts replaced and quoted a price that was $200 less than I had paid for struts to be replaced. So I went back to my personal mechanic. He replaced front (left and right) strut mounts, and now the creaking noise is worse and the handling about the same - bad. Since I owned the car - brand new w/ 11 miles - I am own my 3rd set of tires and have to have it balanced and aligned 2 or more time a year. I called Toyota company (12/22/2015) and asked if they would give me a discount at my local dealership for another diagnostic and repairs for the problem and they said no because there was no recall for the issue. I do not feel safe driving my car and am afraid that my car is going to have a catastrophic failure. Will never buy another Toyota! our government need to step up, do their jobs and implement auto recalls on all defective equipment.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Jun 122015

Took Camry in for service, has always been done by dealer.inherited car after mother passed away.mileage @ the time was 3562.service rep called 6/12/15 shocks leaking need shocks, struts& alignment.alignment done last wants $784 to has 43000 miles of pampered driving.went on line to see if there were same complaints.they were numerous!!! from what I read Toyota just ignores the obvious problem of that 2009 model.I have owned 4 Toyota previously, never ignore an going safety issue warrants no future purchases.never again.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

May 182015

At intermittent times, most noticeably while braking or turning or both, warning light and sound activates. Checked just recently, no oil on dipstick. Suspect excessive oil consumption manufacturer defect on my year and model which is not being addressed by Toyota.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Oct 012014

After bringing the car to get brakes checked, we were informed that the struts needed to be replaced on the car. This car is only driven on paved roads, in a well maintained area. The car has slightly less than 48000 miles on it. Struts should last much longer on a car when the driven in the environment we live in.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Jul 012014

Camry 4-cyl

I went to a local dealer to get the wheel alignment of my car done. They said I had leaking struts and showed me. I had purchased Toyota extended platinum warranty. I called the Toyota dealer and they said struts are considered wear and tear and are not covered. There are hundreds of posts that state that Camry 2009 has a very common leaking struts problem. Toyota is choosing to ignore it as it costs money to replace them. There is no recall on it when there should be one as the problem is so common and is security risk. Can someone throw any ideas? I am going to stop buying Toyota products and go to Honda. Their quality has clearly gone down.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Mar 142014

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while driving approximately 5 mph in reverse, a loud popping noise emitted outside of the vehicle. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in motion. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer three times. The rear passenger side wheel bearing was replaced; however, after the vehicle was repaired the failure persisted. The technician recently informed the contact that the strut assembly would need to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired by the dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and they helped to solve and identify the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000. Updated 10/7/14

- Statesboro, GA, USA

Sep 052013

The contact owns 2009 Toyota camary. The contact stated the driver's and passenger's front struts were leaking. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the was diagnosis was to replace the four tires with an alignment. The tires were replaced and an alignment was performed. However, the struts continued to leak.the vehicle was then taken back to the authorized dealer who diagnosed that the front driver's side and front passenger's side struts needed to be replace with an alignment. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 46107.

- Archdale, NC, USA

Sep 242013

Recently we had our tires rotated and the mechanic mentioned the front struts were leaking. He suggested we take it to Toyota for repair. We weren"T too concerned, the car had 34,365 miles on it, well under the 36,000-warranty limit. Until recently, all we?D heard was Camry seldom had a problem, and, unlike some manufacturers, Toyota paid attention to quality. We thought we were just unlucky. We did some research on the issue and imagine our surprise when we found this was not just an occasional problem - Toyota has had issues with struts leaking for years. It?S so well known they wrote a service bulletin telling their dealers how much leakage they should overlook. How much leaking is acceptable? how about zero, especially when a car has so few miles, most of which were driven on highways. As it turns out, our car is out of warranty because we"ve owned it over 36 months. That means we get to foot the entire $768 bill for the repair (dealer price), a repair that would not be needed if Toyota had addressed their strut problem when they found out about it. So much for Toyota quality.

- Mcminnville, OR, USA

Sep 132013

Camry 4-cyl

Numerous complaints of Toyota allowing substandard leaky struts that prematurely wear out under 40K miles. Causes issues with ride height, stability and control.

- Catskill, NY, USA

Nov 012011

I have always service the vehicle which is in great conditions and all of sudden I start notice a clicking noise in the Toyota Camry steering (example backing out of the parking lot and turns. I believe this may be a product defective for Camry intermediate steering shaft. There many people having the same symptoms. The mechanic said it is just like a rubber band type thing in the steering column stretched out and would not effect anything but if I wanted it fixed it would be $400. I didn't have the money at the time. One of my coworkers was borrowing the car the other day and pointed that out to me said it probably was a ball joint or strut or something wrong with steering. I had gotten use to this sound turning. Now I am worried. I bought this used and don't know what is wrong. I don't think I should be responsible for this fix when it only had 26K miles on it.

- Richmond, IN, USA

Jul 152013

Camry 4-cyl

About a week ago I noticed and extremely loud rattling nose coming front the front suspension of my 2009 Toyota Camry. I explained the problem to my husband who has experience in car repairs. Upon inspecting my car he discovered that the front strut coil spring had broken. One complete bottom coil of the spring had sheared off and was lying inside the strut coil spring creating the loud rattle sound. By looking at the cross section of the coil breakage point it was very obvious there was a crack in the coil metal and from that point the breakage originated. Before this breakage happen I was scheduled for a recall bulletin that I received from Toyota for the power window switch. Upon arriving at the dealership service dept the next day we explained the problem to them. They explained that since the car had reached 50,000 mile there was nothing that they could do except charge me $660 to replace both front strut springs. I declined their offer because they did not have the parts in stock and I felt this was a defect in the spring in the first place, why should I have to bear the cost of this defect? later that day I contacted my local mechanic about the problem. After his inspection of the problem he recommended replacing both front strut assemblies not just the springs because of the excessive amount the struts were leaking. The good news is I now have new front struts at a cost of less that half of what Toyota wanted just to replace the springs and a huge improvement in ride quality that my vehicle now exhibits. I have owned 6 Toyota's in the previous years and ran them all to 200,000 plus miles and never had to replace a strut. I think we have an obvious problem with the newer generation Toyota Camry that needs to be addressed.

- Apollo, PA, USA

Jul 052013

Camry 4-cyl

The front struts are already leaking on my Toyota Camry 2009. The vehicle has around 52,000 miles and the struts shouldn't be leaking this early in the car's life. The mechanic wants $549 to replace. Absurd.

- Turlock, CA, USA

Jun 122013

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that upon inspection, it was found that the struts were leaking. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic, who stated that the struts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 012011

Camry 4-cyl

I found out my Camry le 2009 had leaking oil on all 4 struts near 40000 miles. It must have been leaking before my warranty expired but didn't notice until an oil change after the warranty expiration. I called Toyota and let them know during the summer of 2012, but the Toyota call center told me that they never had a complaint with the struts. Now my car is over 64000 miles and I found out about this web site to report this incident. Toyota should do the recall. I am the only driver of my car and I rarely have any passengers in my car and use the car for going to work on a mostly highway driving course. Toyota should definitely have a recall for this since I've seen many complaints about the leaking struts.

- Clarksburg, MD, USA

May 232013

Camry 4-cyl

I went to mechanic for oil change and been advised that the all struts are leaking. Front struts are in really bed shape. Total cost is about $ 1600. I did some search on google and mechanic also told me this is well known issue for 2009 Camry, and advise us to contact Toyota. I contacted Toyota and Toyota was aware about this issue. They have bulletin but no action was taken from their side. Customer service has no supervisor onsite, if you are not satisfied with answer. They closed my case on phone only. Our mechanic stated for safety, struts has to be replaced. As Toyota knows about these defective parts; but these parts are expensive so not ready to take responsibility. I am driving this car everyday with my son (age 6) I hope government will intefere and will make Toyota responsible for replacement for all cases. Approximate miles: 40500.

- Lake Vlla, IL, USA

Apr 262013

Camry 4-cyl

Brought to mechanic and been advised that the front passenger side strut is leaking. Mechanic also told us he saw two other similar cases for 2009 Camry, and advise us to contact Toyota. Toyota was aware of the failure but no safety issue and not under warranty item. Our mechanic stated for safety, front strut coil, spring and mount should be replaced. I am sure Toyota know the current issue of this design fault; but the replacement parts and recalls will be expensive to them. But for long term, my mechanic told me the leaking will create safety issue. Approximate miles: 40200.

- Temple City, CA, USA

Mar 122013

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for routine maintenance when the technician advised that the rear struts were leaking and would have to be replaced. Additionally, the technician stated that the front and rear tires would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,400.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 012013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while the vehicle inspected for an unrelated issue, the mechanic advised him that there was a leak near the passenger's side front strut. The mechanic diagnosed that the front passenger's side strut needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the leak was a normal characteristic of the vehicle and that there were no failures. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 40,800. Updated 03/21/13 updated 05/09/2013

- 1311 Browns Mill Ct , VA, USA

Jan 212013

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, she heard a banging sound coming from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the front strut coil, coil springs, strut mount and, sway bar links would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 43,053.

- Flint, MI, USA

Feb 022013

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that he noticed there was a leak near the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the front struts needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 58,700.

- San Antoino, TX, USA