2010 Toyota Camry brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Camry:

2010 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

May 052016

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 40 mph, the braking assist reduced while the brake pedal was depressed. In addition, the engine warning light and the electronic stability control warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ABS actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Dunkirk, MD, USA

Dec 162015

The contact owned a 2010 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 35 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. As a result, the contact's vehicle crashed into another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The contact stated that the occupant in the other vehicle sustained a back injury that needed medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- West Plains, MO, USA

Sep 012015

I was stopped in line of a drive thru restaurant. The vehicles were not moving and I was waiting with my foot on the break. All of a sudden the engine surged and the car lurched forward hitting the car in front of me. I pushed as hard as possible on the break pedal but the car did not stop until it hit the car in front of me.

- Clayton, OH, USA

Feb 102014

Brakes would not stop

- North Haven, CT, USA

May 112015

While driving on highway the vehicle suddenly lost steering with no ability for the driver to control direction of the car. Car departed from its lane and then crossed two lanes involuntarily but lanes were free of traffic so an accident was avoided. At the same time the car shook and vibrated. The driver immediately braked and the brakes did reduce the speed of the car. The ability to steer was recovered after approximately 1 minute. The car was towed to a service station. A review of the computer data (trouble codes) indicated a failure of the ABS actuator and steering angle sensor. Maurice at the Toyota customer experience center aid the Toyota company will not take any responsibility for the failure and he also said that, "no assistance would be given" as the car was out of warranty.we have a case number filed with Toyota. Toyota says this hazardous and terrifying incident is not the result of a design flaw or a manufacturing defect. We have lost confidence in the safety of this Toyota vehicle.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Nov 262014

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated without warning and the brakes would not respond when applied. As a result, the contact crashed into a wall and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained neck and shoulder injuries that required medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 29,000...updated 01/14/15 updated 6/11/2015

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

May 182014

Camry 4-cyl

On Sunday, May 18, 2014, I started my 2010 Toyota Camry and my check engine and vehicle stability control lights were on. I had no previous issues with the car. I called the local dealership on Monday morning to make an appointment, the first one I could get was just over a week away. I questioned the dealership if my car was safe to drive and they said yes, as long as the vsc light wasn't blinking. My car was checked by the dealership on May 27. I was told my brake actuator had gone out and the repairs were around $2,400 before taxes. The check engine light was from a charcoal canister that needed to be replaced, another $500+. the parts had to be ordered and it was May 30 when my car was ready. When questioning the dealership about why my brake actuator had gone out, they assured me that it was nothing I had done and they said they've had problems with others going out. After searching online I found that other models by Toyota have had recalls for the brake actuator. If the company is having problems with the same piece of equipment in other models, the recall should be expanded. Mine was not included in the recall, but it was faulty and failed. After searching, I also found there have been various issues with the charcoal canister as well in various models by the company. Perhaps research should be done on this issue also. My car is 4 years old and when I took it to the shop it had 54,259 miles. I called Toyota and they reiterated that my vehicle was not included in any recalls; therefore, at this point Toyota could do nothing about the repair.

- Mcandrews, KY, USA

Apr 202014

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the steering wheel became extremely rough and abnormal force had to be used to turn the steering wheel in any direction. The vehicle also had an intermittent acceleration and brake failure that continued to occur each time that the vehicle was driven. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The contact was later driving and applied the brakes while approaching a traffic stop. The vehicle abnormally accelerated and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the ankle and back, which required medical attention. A police report was filed of the incident. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- North Braddock, PA, USA

Oct 232012

Camry 4-cyl

The brake rotors warped at 23000 miles causing the steering wheel to shake violently. The dealer said that the rotors were not covered by the manufacturers warranty and I paid to have them resurfaced. 8000 miles later the rotors warped again with the resulting severe steering wheel shaking. This could result in the loss of control and accidents.checking on the internet I discovered that this is a common problem with Toyota products and I believe the rotors are substandard and a safety hazard. Toyota should recall all affected vehicles and replace the rotors with quality ones and upgrade the rotors in all cars built from this time on.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Feb 132014

Camry 4-cyl

Braking was hard to stop vehicle.

- Ruthville, VA, USA

Jan 072014

TL - the contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the brake lights were illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the brakes needed to be replaced. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the ABS actuator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 105,000.

- Davie, FL, USA

Nov 092013

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving approximately 42 mph and crashed into the rear of another vehicle due to a braking failure. The air bags failed to deploy and the seat belts failed to restrain the contact. Consequently, the contact sustained a fractured nose, bruising and lacerations to the face. The contact was transported from the scene via ambulance for treatment of injuries. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but no explanation was offered as to why the crash occurred. The failure mileage was 51,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 102013

Camry 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway going about 60. My check engine light was on but I was told by Toyota that I can still drive car as long as it is not blinking. My service appointment was for next day Thursday the 12th. While on highway car lost all power started to slow down and lights started blinking. A huge truck was behind me and was beeping to avoid hitting me. I managed to pull car to side if highway and car shut off by itself. I waited 5 min and the car stated and I managed to get home. The car when driven does not brake well, it feels like car has a mind of its own. The brakes do not brake well and the car jumps. You cannot control. I am bringing to Toyota today to get the results.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Nov 052012

I am having issues with my Camry bouncing, swaying, pulling left and right, the engine, transmission or axles shake. It feels like the brakes are pulsing or on at random times. I believe there are several issues with this car and Toyota is not reporting the problems. I also believe the mechanics are falsifying documents which are affecting my safety and the safety of others. Brake issues are life threating and Toyota assured me my car is safe. I have been at the dealership 5 times to have the issues fixed but the dealer first blamed the tires and balancing. I replaced the tires and the dealer blamed the loud snow tires. The dealer made an appointment with a service specialist. They blamed it on tire noises and said the see you in the spring when you change the tires and they specialist said you are still under warrantee. I changed the tires two days later and returned on Monday. The dealer test drove the car and said nothing but they will be talking the Toyota specialist. I heard nothing for a week and I had to call them on again on Monday (today). The service managers said there is nothing wrong. I just received a class action lawsuit mailing over the weekend. I knew the dealer and Toyota were hiding something. I also took the car to a second Toyota dealer as the specialist recommend. The second dealer already knew about the issues before I got there. The service manager drove my car, not a mechanic test, and also blamed the snow tires. The specialist was also asking what Toyota dealerships are closer to home for me. I also called Toyota and opened two cases. I asked for transcripts of the classes and other information, they said that was for in-house use only and I could not have the info.

- Thomaston, CT, USA

Aug 142012

Camry 4-cyl

Outside left rear brake pad worn out. All other pads front and rear still had 65% of life left in them. Dealer said that they replace a bracket for the caliper but would cost me.

- Bluffton, OH, USA