2010 Toyota Camry drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Camry:

2010 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Oct 142015

Camry

We have owned this car since new and followed the maintenance schedule religiously. The car is at 76,000 miles and yesterday I discovered that the car had burned through 2.5 quarts of oil less than 3000 miles from the last oil change. Additionally the slave cylinder is leaking after the transmission was replaced at 23000 miles. Prior to the last 3000 miles, the car had never burned through oil between oil changes. Upon researching the issue I found that the previous generation of this engine had piston issues that Toyota eventually started fixing for free (after multiple class action suits). I took it in to my dealership and they recommended an entire engine overhaul to fix the pistons ($5000) of which they cover nothing. In addition they confirmed the slave cylinder was leaking and that the transmission would need to be overhauled a 2nd time ($2,600). Unfortunately I purchased this car in manual, and Toyota barely sold any of these transmissions which has resulted in no acknowledgement of any manufacturer defects. While I understand the transmission is poorly designed but considered a wear item, I can not understand how the pistons on a car with regular maintenance would give out at 76,000 miles.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 022014

Camry

Our Toyota Camry has been making extremely loud noises and knocking noises for over a year now. Keep getting told our Camry is not a recall but all the other Toyota that have this same problem have been serviced and fixed and recalled or a tsb bulletin has been issued.. just not ours ? this is ridiculous. I will never buy another Toyota ever now.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 122012

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. While driving at approximately 60 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front passenger side tire and the steering wheel vibrated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the tires needed to be balanced. As a result, the transmission and the front wheel bearing was replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Dec 132013

Camry 4-cyl

In extremely cold weather (less than 20 degrees)the transmission slips when first driven in the morning after minimum 4 minutes idling. Engine RPM 3000 vehicle speed 1-2 mph. Transmission will slowly engage as engine warms up. Also engine and stability control light come on while transmission slips. Transmission will not slip on every cold day it happens whenever. In warm weather, also when the engine is warmed up there are no problems. Transmission was replaced with a rebuilt from Toyota but it still happens just a little less often. A year later December 2014 cold weather coming, I'm afraid the transmission will slip again. The local Toyota shop should be considering an electrical or computer problem.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jul 032013

Camry 4-cyl Diesel

At low speeds, vehicle is constantly shifting gears, making it impossible to maintain constant speed under 40 mph without complete concentration on throttle or by utilizing cruise control. Gas pedal is highly sensitive and any small increase in depression of pedal at low speeds causes the vehicle to jerk forward. Vehicle fails to go into neutral and decelerates rapidly when gas pedal is released. Computer memory has been reflashed twice by dealer with no resolution. In my 50 years on the road, this is the most dangerous and aggravating vehicle I have ever driven. The electronic throttle/transmission combination on this model is not designed correctly and this vehicle should be recalled.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Nov 052012

Camry

I am having issues with my Camry bouncing, swaying, pulling left and right, the engine, transmission or axles shake. It feels like the brakes are pulsing or on at random times. I believe there are several issues with this car and Toyota is not reporting the problems. I also believe the mechanics are falsifying documents which are affecting my safety and the safety of others. Brake issues are life threating and Toyota assured me my car is safe. I have been at the dealership 5 times to have the issues fixed but the dealer first blamed the tires and balancing. I replaced the tires and the dealer blamed the loud snow tires. The dealer made an appointment with a service specialist. They blamed it on tire noises and said the see you in the spring when you change the tires and they specialist said you are still under warrantee. I changed the tires two days later and returned on Monday. The dealer test drove the car and said nothing but they will be talking the Toyota specialist. I heard nothing for a week and I had to call them on again on Monday (today). The service managers said there is nothing wrong. I just received a class action lawsuit mailing over the weekend. I knew the dealer and Toyota were hiding something. I also took the car to a second Toyota dealer as the specialist recommend. The second dealer already knew about the issues before I got there. The service manager drove my car, not a mechanic test, and also blamed the snow tires. The specialist was also asking what Toyota dealerships are closer to home for me. I also called Toyota and opened two cases. I asked for transcripts of the classes and other information, they said that was for in-house use only and I could not have the info.

- Thomaston, CT, USA

Sep 222012

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph the vehicle began to independently accelerate. The engine rpms increased to 2500 as the contact attempted to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was finally able to be stopped once the contact continuously applied extreme pressure to the brakes. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and advised the contact that the torque converter was the cause of the acceleration, which he stated was a normal occurrence. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure and current mileage was 29,900.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Dec 272011

Camry

Started car and tachometer showed aprox 3000 RPM then went to idle it lunged forward if I did mot have my foot on the brake it would have smashed into a guard rail.

- Ambridge, PA, USA

May 162011

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving 10 mph when the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken the vehicle to the dealer several times but the dealer was unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The dealer stated that the computer would need to be reprogrammed but the dealer did not have a program for the vehicle. The contact stated that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The contact also stated that when the vehicle was parked, it would roll away abnormally. The failure mileage was 14,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 092010

Camry

On 07/09/2010, I was on my way home from work, driving down the highway at 60 to 65 mph, when a cam gear broke on my 2010 Toyota Camry (15878 miles on it). I put my car in the shop the next morning. Before the engine was even taken apart, the service advisor told me that it sounded like a cam gear had broke. After taking the engine apart, sure enough, a cam gear had broke. My husband was later speaking to a mechanic who was working on my vehicle. My husband ask the mechanic if this was just a fluke deal or if the dealership had seen many broken cam gears on Toyota. The mechanic then told my husband that he personally, had seen several of these broken cam gears. A few days later the service advisor told my husband and I that he was not sure when the car would be repaired because there is a national back order on the cam gears for this car. Is this going to be another Toyota recall" how many people who own Toyota have had to report a broken cam gear? it sounds to me like Toyota should know there is a problem with this part. Is this going to be another bit of information that gets kept from consumers" Toyota should be looking into this to see if there is an issue with the cam gears used on their vehicles.

- Quinlan, TX, USA

Apr 202010

Camry

Stopped car, shifting from drive to park. Car accelerated. Hit cement buffer in parking lot. Uprooted buffer, dealership picked up car told me two hours later that there was nothing wrong with the car, explained to me how they had checked everything and taken pedal apart. 2010 Toyota Camry I lease had been into dealership 03/05/10 for all recall repairs. Called 911 but they did not come because it was private property and there were no injuries.

- East Lansing , MI, USA

Apr 122010

Camry

I purchased a 2010 Toyota Camry from a Toyota dealer on March 27, 2010 in columbus, Ohio. I noticed that the bottom left-hand corner of the gear shift panel becomes hot when the head lights are turned on. I took the vehicle into the dealer (that I purchased it from) to get it looked at on Tuesday, April 20 and they checked the vehicle. I was told that this was a normal occurrence for 2010 Toyota Camry's and that they would not be able to fix the issue. I am concerned because the cause of this defect was not identified, the dealer was not able to fix it, and I don't know if this issue is an indication of something more serious that could develop into a serious safety hazard. Plus, this is a brand new 2010 vehicle. It was not pre-owned. I first noticed this issue when the mileage on my vehicle was between 500 and 1000 miles. I noticed this issue within the first 30 days of purchase before my temporary tags expired. If you have any questions or need any additional information, the best way to contact me is by the phone number provided.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 222009

Camry

Vehicle has acceleration surge, has done this several times. Also at times, vehicle does not slow done very well when coming to a stop, kind of like a fast idle.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Jun 282009

Camry

Another Toyota consumer with no fix, they keep saying your car is not included your not having those issues... your car was built in Japan... I don't care it is having mind of its own and I suggested to them it is not floor mats etc... that at that time and still I felt it to be a computer issue with gas pedal as my car indeed has a mind of its own and takes off in a flash or will not stop engine continues to race RPM with brake smashed down I have own this 2010 Camry since June of 2009 have 2000 miles of use out of it and shaky ones to say the least... no concern from Toyota run around all the time like im making up stories as again your car is not included in these problems $31,000 problem for me as car is not safe is not usable and can not be traded no one wants and values continue to fall quickly....... make them accountable.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Aug 172009

Camry

While pulling into my driveway, with my foot on the brake, slowly coming to a stop the car suddenly accelerated and ran into the front of our house. ( uncommanded accelration) I have contacted Toyota and have been advised that my car is not under current recall.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 132010

Camry

I pulled into sheetz in bedford at about 515am on 01/13/10. I pressed the on/off button on the dash at which time the lights went out. I exited the car and ensured that the key fob was in my coat pocket. I spent approx 5 minutes in the sheetz store. On my way out, an unidentified sheetz customer came into the store and asked who's white camery was in the parking lot. That was my rental. We exited the store and approached the car, which was now stopped at the bottom of the slopped parking lot and near a gray F-250. Noticed damage to the hood; front bumper and driver-side headlight. The customer began to tell me he had seen me approach the store from the car and then he saw the car roll away a few minutes later. He hadn't noticed I wasn't in the car. He said he ran to the car to check on me and realized I wasn't in the car. When I looked into the car I noticed that the car was in park and shut off. I asked the customer if he had touched the car and he advised no he hadn't. the car was off and in park when he got to it. There were no warning or beeping sounds as I left the car. This was a hertz rental car and they are now wanting me to pay for damages. The car is a 2010 Toyota hybrid. I spoke with the local Toyota dealership and they advised there is no reason for the rollaway if car is off and in park. I feel this is a Toyota problem. Please advise.

- Johnstown, PA, USA