2010 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Camry:

2010 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Aug 292009

Camry

Bought my 2010 Camry last Aug. Noticed sudden speeds once in a while. Called dealer, they said it was normal. Here recently; I had the recall repairs done. It still feels as if the car wants to speed without me foot on the gas. Called dealership and once again they said it was normal because of the different clutch system vs that of older cars. It doesn't feel normal to me. I'm afraid to drive my car but I have no choice. I need it for my job which demands alot of driving. Not sure what to do at this point.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Mar 022010

Camry

My wife owns a 2010 Toyota Camry, which has been to a local dealership for the gas pedal recall fix. On Tuesday, March 2nd, I was driving her Camry. I placed the shift lever in drive, took my foot off the brake, and the car suddenly accelerated at what seemed to be full throttle. My foot was not even on the gas pedal. I immediately hit the brake, and the acceleration ended, so the brake override did work. I returned the Camry to the dealership, and I was told that this was normal for a cold engine. The engine was not cold when this happened. I had just driven it about 20 miles just a few minutes before the incident. I am being told there is nothing wrong with the car, yet we are driving a loaner car because the dealership management wants to look at the "alleged problem" closer.

- Saint Pauls, NC, USA

Mar 052010

Camry

While parking my 2010 Camry at the grocery store, I slowly turned into the parking space and my car suddenly accelerated jumping the curb and hitting a cement surrounded light pole. The air bags did not deploy and I was not noticeably injured. The car had just had the replacement pedal installed on March 2, 2010 as ordered by the recall. The vehicle was towed to avondale Toyota in avondale, Arizona and is currently awaiting a representative from Toyota to inspect it on mon. March 8th before any work will be done. Property damage only to the vehicle. We were told at the dealership that the airbags only deploy after 20 miles per hour. We have never before had a problem with the accelerator sticking.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Camry

Driving my 2010 Toyota Camry on busy secondary highway. Driving 20-25 mph when vehicle engine suddenly "roared"- like the gas pedal had been pushed to the maximum. I put the brakes on hard. The car stopped, and the vehicle behind me rear-ended me.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Jan 072010

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry sle. The contact states he just purchased the vehicle January 7th, 2010. He is having problems with unintended acceleration. His vehicle was having the acceleration problem before the recall. The contact stated that the dealer performed the recall repair on his vehicle but he is still having problems. His navigation is also not operating properly. The failure mileage was 50. The current mileage was 800.

- Wellesley, MA, USA

Mar 022010

Camry

My vehicle has been recalled and "repaired" - gas pedal, floor mat, brake override system. Prior to the recall, the gas pedal was sluggish and I would experience MINIsudden accelerations. There has been no improvement since the repairs (3/2/2010). In fact, it appears to have become more frequent, the sudden accelerations are not dramatic and braking does take care of the problem.

- Horsham, PA, USA

Dec 072009

Camry

- uneven and unexpected sudden acceleration without any additional pedal pressure - had sudden acceleration while making a turn and vehicle went out of control - experienced sudden acceleration while changing lanes on a freeway - even received a traffic ticket in Dec 2009 once for failing to yield when the vehicle did not slow down on pressing on the brake - several times experienced deceleration while trying to speed up and cross a signal light and other locations - many times noted sluggish pickup when starting the car after driving a while and stopping at intersection or due to traffic and then trying to continue driving - sometimes I clearly hear the engine throttle being disproportionate to the gas pedal pressing and a sudden thrust happening in the vehicle - once while starting from an intersection, the front wheel of the car went into a spin faster than the rear wheel causing a slipping motion and this was on a clear day and good road condition. - vehicle loses balance or shakes on the slightest of winds or when changing lanes. This kind of problems I never even had in my old smaller Ford Focus 2002 car. - this vehicle is not covered by Toyota recall for the accelerator pedal issue but these problems exist as they definitely are an electronic circuit problem. - the floor mat issue or sticky pedal issue is not my problem clearly - Toyota salesmen knowingly did not inform me of the recalls and full extent of details of the acceleration issue and after the sale was consummated in passing mentioned me to keep the floor mat tied an that was it.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. While driving 25 mph the vehicle rapidly accelerated to 45 mph. The contact applied the brakes in order to stop the vehicle. The contact has not taken the vehicle to the dealer. The contact stated when the vehicle accelerated it could have caused a crash. The failure mileage was 7,800.

- Wakefield, MA, USA

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. When the contact attempted to drive 5 mph into a parking space, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The contact was able to stop the vehicle by applying the brakes. Prior to the recent failure, recall NHTSA campaign id numbers: 09V388000, 10V017000 repairs were performed on the vehicle. The current and failure mileages were 7900.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Feb 202010

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry le. She took the vehicle to the dealer on February 20, 2010 for the accelerator repair and after the repair she experienced sudden acceleration several times. She stated the vehicle is very slow to start and within seconds it over accelerates. She will take the vehicle back to the dealer. The failure and the current mileage were 1,914.

- Chester , VA, USA

Sep 272009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry hybrid. The manufacturer was contacted shortly after purchasing the vehicle when it accelerated and lunged forward. The contact stated that the dealer told her that it was perfectly normal for hybrid vehicles. The contact stated that she had previously had the recall repair done for the accelerator pedal; however, she continued to experience the failure. The contact has driven hybrid vehicles before and they did not accelerate. The failure mileage was 15 and the current mileage was 4,000. Updated 06/03/10 the consumer stated the vehicle continues to surge and it has been in the repair shop numerous times. Updated 06/07/10 updated 11/11/10 the consumer stated there have been times when the vehicle jumped several inches while in reverse and the vehicle would jerk forward when in park and the gas engine would activate. Updated 111/17/10

- Lawrenceburg, IN, USA

Feb 232010

Camry

After Toyota pedal recall completed, had issue 2X with accelerator sticking and actually causing the gas pedal to be sluggish (would not accelerate).

- Canton, GA, USA

Feb 232010

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving approximately 45 mph on a dry road surface. An increase of acceleration occurred without warning. The vehicle was able to slow down. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and repaired. The identical failure continued after the service repair. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on a separate occasion. However, there were no repairs performed to correct the problem. The manufacturer was notified and recommended that the vehicle be taken to the dealer for further inspection. The failure mileage was 6,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 032010

Camry

Toyota Camry (rented from hertz ann arbor sheraton). Delayed response when removing foot form accelerator pedal. Vehicle maintains speed for a very noticeable 1 or 2 seconds. 100% repeatable while driving at highway speed. The vehicle actually remains under power even though the driver has removed the input command. I observed the same delay each time I removed my foot from the accelerator pedal. Even being aware of this situation I was caught off guard when a truck changed lanes in front of me. I removed my foot expecting to slow down only to realize that the vehicle continued at speed closing the gap between me and the truck while the truck decelerated. When I removed my foot from pedal and shift into neutral to remove the load, I witnessed the RPM will increase 400-1000 RPM depending on terrain and amount the throttle was depressed to maintain vehicle speed. This RPM spike is brief in duration (1 second or less). I repeated this an estimated 30 times under various grade conditions. (Ohio turnpike, I-475, us 23 northbound Michigan). The worst case being driving up a slight grade maintaining 2100 RPM. I fully removed my foot from the accelerator pedal, shifted into neutral, and observed a blip to 3100 RPM.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Feb 032010

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact noticed that the accelerator pedal was slightly "non-responsive". she took the vehicle to the dealership and the pedal was replaced according to recall 10V017000, vehicle speed control, accelerator pedal; after the repair was made she noticed that the vehicle did not slow down when she took her foot off of the pedal and the RPM gauge would not decrease in speed; however, she was able to use the brakes to slow down. She also stated that while driving in reverse, the vehicle suddenly accelerated, yet she was able to stop the vehicle by depressing the brake pedal. She called the manufacturer and was awaiting a response in regards to the failure. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired when the complaint was filed. The current mileage was approximately 8,800. The failure mileage was 7,458.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Dec 152009

Camry

I have a 2010 Toyota Camry. ABS light and vsc light illuminates insistently on dashboard when pressing on brake. This is happening for 4 months.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Dec 242009

Camry

The day after purchasing my 2010 Camry, the car seemed to ride funny. I felt uneasy but initially thought it may be that it was my first completely new car. This went on for the next few weeks, I.e. the car seeming to jerk or heave, regardless of the speed. I was worried that there was something wrong with the engine and then the lights on the aircondition/heating board stopped working so I thought it was an electrical problem instead. I took it in. The mechanic explained everything away, explained the 'electrical problem', and stated that the heaving feeling I was sensing was that the car was computerized and that it took time for the accelerator to catch up with the signal the computer was giving it, or something like that. He ran an engine check and everything was fine. On my service sheet he simply stated that I had complained about the accelerator hesitating (which I did not), but did not document that I brought the car in complaining that it had electrical problems. A week later there was the recall. When I later called about the recall and continued to complain about the accelerator problem, the serviceman ( a different one) told me that I would feel no change in the way the way the car drove so he would have someone ride with me to try to figure out what I was talking about. The day before taking the car in for the fix, the car slightly accelerated when I was trying to come to a stop. After the fix, a Toyota representative rode with me (I let him drive), but the car did appear to ride better after the fix. The car does still feel better than when I first bought it but seems to be gradually getting worse since the fix, e.g. the car occasionally slightly accelerates when I am coming to a stop.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Feb 162010

Camry

Problem: 2010 Toyota 4 dr Camry: I am 81 years old. After checking with the New Jersey dealer where I bought the this car 51/2 months ago, I was told my VIN # was ok for no problem with the gas pedal sticking, but I should go in for the mat/gas pedalproblem. I did & was told it was done. On 2/16, I was pulling into a spot at cvs. I took my foot off of the gas pedal and started to put the foot on the brake when the car suddenly flew up forward over the cement curb and into the dirt and bushes which, thank god stopped the car. I will never get back into my 2010 Toyota Camry again. They hauled the car to their dealership and got me a Honda rental. I made an appointment with general mgr.. he told me so far they had not been able to find anything in the car. I told him I would never drive that car again and my sons had told me no matter what these people said I was not to drive it. I explained along with never being able to drive that car again I would not now purchase another Toyota. He told me they could give me $17,000. Refund leaving me to eat $10,916. On a car I have had for 5 months and had only 2,091 miles on it. I was told to talk to someone at their corporate office in ca and they offered me nothing but a slick "your word against mine" nothing help. I could see the writing on the wall I went out the next day, bought a Ford Fusion and drove away in my new car. I am contacting you not only because Toyota did not try to assist me with my problem, but also I have been having nightmares about the thousands of people who were told their VIN # had no gas pedal problem as I had been told and may find out that is not true - as I did.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Feb 172010

Camry

The contact has a 2010 Toyota Camry. The vehicle had a sudden acceleration and the contact was unable to be stop until the fail safe light came on. The contact stated that the vehicle had been repaired, however the failure has continued to occur. The contact stated that Toyota told them that they could sell the vehicle or go through arbitration. The vehicle had 7000 miles at the time of the failure. The current mileage was 7000.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Dec 082009

Camry

Vehicle purchase Nov 2009. 2010 Toyota le Camry. Noticed within first 200 miles that vehicle accelerated and down shifted during turns. Voiced compliant. No action. Recall announced, told had to wait for letter for repair. Brought vehicle back same problem. Then fixed. Vehicle at 1700 miles driving like stick shift car jumps as changing gears. May jump as breaking causing an incomplete timely stop. Currently at 2200 miles driving rough on road and shifting self as driving so power will immediately increase then decrease. Scared to drive new vehicle. Dealership treating me as crazy and that should wait for additional recalls before bringing vehicle in. This has all taken place before initial payment was even made. Very disappointed in quality.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA