2012 Toyota Camry body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Camry:

2012 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 182014

On 02-18-2014, I was driving on interstate 55 and the sunroof/moonroof on my 2012 Toyota Camry suddenly, and without apparent reason, imploded. Because I had the sunroof shade open, glass flew into the cabin of the car. Fortunately, although I could feel glass sticking in my forearm and palm, I was not cut and there were no other passengers in the car. Also, traffic was light and I did not crash as a result of it. When the glass broke, there was a loud noise that sounded like an explosion. The situation could have easily caused a major accident. I have searched in and around my car but have not found any object that could have caused this to happen. I believe that this is due to a defect in either the sunroof or the glass. Last April, Toyota had to adjust my sunroof because it was rattling. The repair included adding some shims to it. I was told that by the Toyota service department that the sunroof rattle was a common issue with this model car. I believe that the sunroof was defective.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 212014

Camry 4-cyl

My son was driving about 1/2 mile away from home while turning the brake failed and he hit the center curb and further to an on coming (stopped) vehicle. When he realized that the brakes are not working he pressed the emergency brakes that slowed the car. But the damage had already occurred. Our Toyota is 2012 and has been routinely maintained by Toyota dealerships. Brakes should not fail. We are glad that there was no apparent injury but the car is likely to be totaled. I request Toyota to do an investigation on what might have caused the brakes to fail.

- Reston, VA, USA

May 312013

Camry 4-cyl

I own a 2012 4cyl Camry xle. A knocking sound coming from the back of the roof on the passenger side happens when the body integrity is compromised, like when going over bumps or entering a home garage from the driveway. Brought the car to the Toyota dealer in December 2013 who refused to repair the problem because the car was out of warranty (the car had over 40,000 miles and the warranty coverage was up to 36,000 miles). They offered to repair the car for $486.85 usd. Although two Toyota repair centers in puerto rico (Toyota service center in san lorenzo, pr and furiel Toyota auto), both acknowledged it was a problem other customers complained about and they know of. I searched online and there are forums discussing the same problem on 2012 Camry's with sunroof, so I understand it is a manufacturing issue for which Toyota should be responsible.

- San Lorenzo, PR, USA

Feb 152013

Camry 4-cyl

Persistent moderately loud knocking noise coming from the roof. As soon as you start driving, the knocking sound occurs, stops, and stops again. It is most persistent while driving over uneven street pavement.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 252013

Camry 4-cyl

While on freeway driver side tire burst all of sudden without any apparent reason. I was in the second lane from right and could safely took car on the shoulder. Called Toyota road side assistance and towed the car to nearby dealership. They assessed damage to alloy wheel, tire sensor and ascender liner along with tire. For any warranty issued asked me to contact Toyota customer service. Toyota customer service directed to bridgetone tires saying its not their responsibility.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jun 062012

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the trunk lock mechanism failed to engage. As a result, the trunk failed to stay open and struck the contacts head. There was no injury to report. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was working up to standards. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 13,523.

- Albany, NY, USA

Mar 012013

Camry 4-cyl

The Toyota Camry has been rear ended by a Ford Explorer 2002 between 40-50mph, damaging the trunk, bumper tail lights, right rear side, left side body and spare tire compartment. At the moment of the accident, were the driver and three more adult passengers inside of the vehicle on their respective seats wearing properly the seat belts at the time of the accident, the driver from the Ford Explorer was distracted looking for a radio remote control without notice the traffic almost stop when the driver of the Ford Explorer back his attention to the traffic was too late even as he manifest he has no time to press the brake pedal. After we inspect the damages I notice the airbag and seat belt light on the dashboard are on even when the car is in motion but no air bag has been deploy there is a pictures and video available for any future investigation upon request.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Jan 272013

Camry 4-cyl

I was moving cars in the driveway when I pulled the Camry back in the brakes failed to stop the car and it struck the corner of the garage. I was not going fast enough to even trip the airbag. The dealer claims that there is nothing wrong with the brakes. I know that this same thing has happened in arlington, tx. What can I do to get the car fixed it is only 7 months old and still under warranty?

- Deltona, FL, USA

Feb 292012

Camry 4-cyl

I have been experiencing a knock/tap/clunk sound coming from the roof in my 2012 Toyota Camry SE, I have reported this issue to Toyota and the car has been at the dealership over 4 times to try to resolve the issue, the noise gets louder as time passes, it seams this is a structural problem and are not informing the customers as thousands of cars are being sold, with no tsb issued, taking off the headliner multiple times has created additional noises.

- Dallas , TX, USA

Dec 072012

Camry 4-cyl

I was merging on to the interstate when I heard a loud crash. I then heard a rushing wind sound and glass breaking. I slide open the interior sun visor on my sun roof just slightly and saw broken glass and a large hole in the sun roof. I realized that the glass on the sun roof had suddenly broken. I did not pass under an overpass and did not see any objects that would have cause the breakage. There were no trucks near me that could have dropped anything that could cause the damage. If I would have had the sun visor on the sun roof open at the time of the event, I would have had the broken glass come down on me while I was driving on the interstate which could have resulted in a severe accident. The sun roof is not covered under the warranty.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Jun 052012

Camry 6-cyl

While driving under normal driving conditions the paint on the lower plastic bumper has been hit with road debris and is causing small chipping in the paint. It seems the paint on the plastic parts is very susceptible to chipping. No chipping has occurred on the metal hood or body.

- Winder, GA, USA

Mar 012012

Camry 4-cyl

A short time after I took delivery of the car and I parked it on my driveway which has a small climb to the garage. The car was parked with the rear end lower than the front. When I opened the trunk to unload it and released the trunk lid it came down and hit me in the head. It happens every time when the trunk is opened under the same conditions and sometimes when the car is level. Obviously the trunk lid needs a tighter spring.

- Maumelle, AR, USA