2012 Toyota Camry drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Camry:

2012 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 202016

Camry

Takata recall less than 4 years although with little high mileage, my brand new 2012 Toyota Camry makes noises when I drive on the highway. I took the car to balise Toyota Scion of warwick to check and service advisor mentioned that the noise is coming from the transmission. They recommended replacing the transmission at my own cost. And the noise is getting louder and louder. Why is a brand new less four years old car need replacing transmission? I have 2 friends who owned the same car and model and year, and they have same problems with their transmission. They had their transmission replaced under the warranty because of lower mileage. Therefore, I think 2012 Toyota Camry's transmission has problem.

- Warwick, RI, USA

May 282014

Camry

Very bsd hesitation on acceleration very dangerous

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 012016

Camry 4-cyl

2012 Toyota Camry. Consumer writes in regards to a defective torque converter shudder, vehicle transmission reprogrammed but problem still exists. Toyota had no other problem for the fix for the problem and the consumer did not received any further communication.

- Kennedy, NY, USA

Jun 152016

Camry

Tirs go down backed seat belt don't work speed don't work well

- Maysville, KY, USA

May 152016

Camry

When I am driving between the speeds of 35 to 55 there is a vibration as if the transmission is grinding, I took it to the car dealer ship and was told this has been a issue with this year model and that we can either change the transmission fluid in three separate visits or add a vibration stabilizing additive. The additive worked for about 2 months but it seems to be worse now then before. I believe if Toyota knows there is a problem they should fix it at no cost to the customer I still owe $13,000 on my car and do not feel it should be my responsability to replace the transmission. It makes you feel as if it is going to break down at any moment not safe for a woman.

- Senatobia, MS, USA

May 192016

Camry

The car hesitates for three to five seconds after decelerating, or when turning a corner, taking my foot off the pedal and then trying to accelerate again. Brought to dealer and they updated the software and told me there isn't any problems with the care. They lie. Over 200 people have reported this problem with Toyota on one site alone.

- Audubon, NJ, USA

Oct 152015

Camry

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Camry. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle hesitated while shifting gears. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 113,103.

- Tappahannock, VA, USA

Oct 022015

Camry

First, the transmission is really jerk when accelerate at stop light. It also jerk really hard when down shift. It feels like the transmission is delay. Second, the electric steering wheel. The radio just shut off by itself and the steering wheel light came on at the same time, and then the light came off and the radio restarted by itself again. I feel like the electric has some problem.

- Blaine, MN, USA

Sep 212015

Camry

Experience a hesitation when accelerating out of stop and go I'm having accelerating issues where the car stalls when pulling out from a stop. Has happened problem 5-10 times since I purchased the car in Feb. 2015. Very dangerous. Here are a couple of links where many other Camry and Toyota owners speak of the same issues. But it seems that Toyota is doing nothing about it. This needs to be fixed asap. repairpal.com/automatic-transmissions-may-hesitate-when-accelerating-072 https://fourwheeldrift.wordpress.com/2007/01/16/Toyota-avalon-transmission-problems-expose-Toyota-problem-reporting-problems/

- Concordia, MO, USA

Jul 012015

Camry

When re-applying the gas while still moving (20-40 mph) our 2012 Toyota Camry SE (4-cyl, automatic) sometimes hesitates. It feels like a shutter in the gas pedal, but I am unable to determine if it is in the transmission or in the accelerator/fuel delivery system. It lasts for a few seconds and then things smooth out and the car operates normally. It has become more frequent in recent weeks (now 3 months since the issue was first noticed).

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Oct 312014

Camry

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Camry. While accelerating from a traffic light, the vehicle hesitated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for routine maintenance. The contact stated that while at the dealer the mechanic reprogrammed the ECU module. The contact stated that after the vehicle was repaired, it independently decelerated without warning. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,148.

- Olathe , KS, USA

Jun 162015

Camry

When I start to drive my car from a rest position it starts to drag for approximately 30-50 feet before it starts the drive normal.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 012015

Camry

Start in to traffic anit will stop accelerating for 2or 3 seconds, people behind you will almost hit you after you start when it hesitates

- Branson, MO, USA

Aug 132013

Camry

When a light turns green and I try and go forward my Toyota Camry will not accelerate for 2 to 7 seconds. There was a recall for software that was supposed to fix the issue, how ever it is still happening. The issue is intermittent occurring about every 1000 miles. In the last 4 months another issue has happened where I will be going along at about 30 miles per hour and suddenly the car will stall out for about 5 seconds, this has happened 6 times now. I have taken it to two Toyota dealerships the first one refused to look at it without me paying a diagnostic fee, the other Toyota kept the car for a week and said they could not duplicate the problem so there was nothing they would do. I called Toyota national service center at 1 888 2709371 and was told there is nothing they will do because the dealership cannot replicate the problem. My issue is they know there is an issue, they sent me a letter stating that there might be problems and they voluntarily extended my warranty on the specific parts they know can cause issues. I am concerned for my safety, and have tried to get the issue resolved. What are the next steps I can take to get the issue fixed.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Feb 192015

Camry

Vehicle hesitates when accelerating and changing to second gear. It just started last month. I thought it would be corrected when I had the torque converter recall remediated but transmission still hesitates. Transmission issues"??"

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Dec 232014

Camry

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Camry. While driving at 40 mph, the vehicle would not accelerate over 40 mph and made an abnormal noise. In addition, the engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Sep 122014

Camry 4-cyl

This vehicle shudders and vibrates as it accelerates between 20 to 30 mph and also from 40 to 50 mph. Toyota issued a recall to fix this problem and I took the car in. The fix has not worked and the issue is getting worse. What do I do?

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 062013

Camry 4-cyl

Been have shifting and shuddering problems for over 15 months and 20K miles. Vehicle has been into dealership 2 dozen times for torque converter failure symptoms, however the dealership, southeast Toyota and Toyota corporate have all denied there's any problem at all. Well, tsb 008612 was issued on June 11, 2012 before I even purchased my vehicle and there is no record of the service being performed on the torque converter even though the vehicle was manufactured several months beforehand. On October 31, 2014 a lsc for a torque converter software update was issued. Hmmm, if no problem exists, then why keep issuing tsb's and lsc's? easy answer is to avoid a safety recall. The dealership was supposed to have performed this for me weeks before Toyota notified the public. Third party mechanical analysis shows that none of these corrections have ever been performed on my vehicle. Toyota is most certainly covering up another expensive safety issue from the dealership to the mechanics to the engineers.... all the way up through the corporate office. They've even ignored my attempts to mediate a buyback as per their warranty coverage even though I clearly have a very well documented lemon. I, like many others, will have to settle this in a court of law.

- Cary, NC, USA

Oct 072014

Camry 4-cyl

As my wife and I were riding in the car we felt a brief shudder... we thought it was maybe from the road.... as time went on we felt it on different road surfaces.... the car is equipped with an automatic transmission but the shudder felt like a standard transmission that needs to be down shifted.... we started searching the web to see if there was anyone complaining about this problem and was directed to Toyota website and found out about 5 weeks later that Toyota was issuing a service to update the software for U760E torque converter shudder.... we had this upgrade performed at hoffman Toyota on Nov.26,2014 before receiving any info from Toyota Corp... the shudder has not been resolved...I will be calling them to let them know that this service upgrade has not resolved the problem...

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Oct 082014

Camry

There is a noise in the front wheels or when brakes are applied from forward to reverse, it makes a clicking sound that can be heard inside the vehicle when applying the brakes. Dealer has checked it or listened to the noise and says it is normal. It is still worried some as to what will happen in a emergency.

- Great Bend, KS, USA