2013 Toyota Camry drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Camry:

2013 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 012014

Camry

2013 Toyota Camry. Consumer writes in regards to the keyless start design flaw. The consumer stated when he returned to his vehicle, he discovered his vehicle was not where he left it. The vehicle had rolled back out of the spot and down the road a distance. He realized he turned the vehicle off, but left it in drive, and he was shocked to find out, the vehicle could be turned off, in any gear.

- Westhampton, NY, USA

Apr 022014

Camry

Toyota has another throttle problem. I bought a 2103 Camry SE on March 30th 2013 from larry miller Toyota and it exhibits an intermittent throttle problem. When I start from a stop some times it seems as if the engine dies. It does not as the engine does not need to be restarted. The throttle is simply non-responsive. The car moves ahead a little and virtually dies. This can occur going straight ahead, turning right or worse yet in the process of making a left turn. This is very much a safety issue when executing a turn when it appears one has a break in traffic and the car barely moves. The car has been back to the dealer and there is no failure code so they say they cannot verify the problem and that it is working as it should. I went out for a short ride with the shop foreman and I could not replicate the problem. He did say that he had 3 or 4 other vehicles with a similar problem. I did leave the car with them for 2 days and they drove it 54 miles and could not duplicate the problem. My suggestion to the dealer and to Toyota is to determine what is most likely to cause this problem and replace it and see if this will fix it. They will not do this. It must be a problem they can verify "find a failure code". I have asked them to replace the throttle transducer which is $250 if replacing it does not fix the problem I would pay for it. The lack of a failure code just means it is not a hard problem and failing in a manner they anticipated when they set up there failure trouble shooting procedures.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Apr 302013

Camry

Vehicle was purchased new in April 2013. For as long as I have owned the car, the engine has had a loud whining noise when driving 10 -35 mph, always when accelerating. The noise is considerable and noticeable, sounding like a transmission or possible engine problem. Being skeptical of my myself, I have driven 2 friend's Camry with 4 cylinder engines I have also driven a 2013 Toyota rav4 with the exact engine and 6 speed gear transmission. None of these make the loud whining noise my engine makes (1 a 2012 Camry and the other a 2013 Camry model and 1 rav4 2013 model). I have mentioned it 3 times on 3 different service visits to dealer. Each time they write it off as transmission gear shifting with 6 speed auto transmission. I do not buy this due to every car I have driven the engine's are quiet at these speeds and do not make the high whining noise my car makes. Matter of fact, they were considerably quiet to the point you cannot even hardly hear the engine. I know that this is not exactly a safety issue but a great concern in which I am being ignored. Just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue as well. Note that I am a automotive glass parts supplier & electrical engineer and I do not imagine things.

- Meadville, PA, USA

Oct 302013

Camry

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the accelerator failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle erroneously decelerated while the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician stated that the safety braking system had caused the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 700.

- Keller, TX, USA

Oct 272013

Camry 4-cyl

I bought a 2013 Toyota Camry from germain Toyota, columbus Ohio less than 24 hours ago on 10/26/2013, this was a Toyota certified used car with 160 point inspection and 3 year/36,000 and 7 year/100,000 powertrain warranty, was hardly 6 months old with only 8,274 miles on it when I took possession. In less than 24 hours back in dayton some major problem appeared while driving, first the engine started making some small noise but no warning indicator came up on the dashboard, later on after about a mile it suddenly and completely stopped while I slowed down for a red traffic light. I turned off the ignition and restarted the car, then it suddenly stopped again while getting on the I-75 highway exit. There were cars behind me and crossing by and it was a very dangerous situation considering it suddenly and completely stopped while driving as I slowed down a little bit. All this happened without any warning indicator on the dashboard, and considering this is a current year 2013 Camry model with Toyota certified and very low mileage this is extremely unsatisfactory and put me and my wife at danger. I'll also try to contact the dealer and Toyota customer service separately, I'm also not sure if Toyota or the dealer had any prior knowledge of the defect or were just careless considering they did a 160 point inspection and sold this as a Toyota certified used car. Considering I bought this less than 24 hours ago, I'll try to return this to the dealer and if there is any hassle I would like to pursue this further in the court. Please contact me if NHTSA would like to test or look at the vehicle.

- Miamisburg, OH, USA

Oct 152013

Camry 4-cyl

After making a turn onto a road, before entering a parking lot, my brake lights went on. It's a new car with only 3500 miles on it - the brakes should be fine. I turn into the parking lot, park the car, put it in park, and turn off the engine. I check the emergency brake, it was not engaged. I turn the car on and the brake light goes away. However, now I cannot take my car out of park. It is stuck in park. I step on the brake, I turn the wheel and the wheel turns fine. The gear is still stuck in park. I call the dealership, they send out a tow truck. I try my car one more time and it is still stuck in park. The driver of the tow truck tries, he puts his hand on the handle and behold, it shifts out of park and can go into R, N and D. can you believe it?? I will continue to monitor this 'odd' occurrence. Hopefully, this will not happen again.

- Homestead,, FL, USA

Aug 202013

Camry

I experienced an sudden unintended acceleration condition on my 2013 Camry SE on 08/20/2013. The car hit a big tree and was not repairable, total-ed. Thanks to the air-bags, I only had a couple of bruises here and there.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jun 222013

Camry

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the driver exited the vehicle with the key less entry fob and did not shift the vehicle into park. The vehicle rolled backward and crashed into a tree. There were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,400.

- Corvallis, OR, USA