4.6

2013 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Camry:

2013 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Nov 102016

- Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 062013

Camry

The dates above are approximate as my car is back at the dealership. The car would vibrate at 20, 40 and 60 mph it would also lose power when taking off from a stop. I got the run around I bought new tires had an aligned changed the fuel being used. Finally they said it was my tranmission. They replaced the tranmission and did a software update. I am now at 100,000 and having the exact same problem. I am convinced this is a known issue from what I see online I have no idea why Toyota hasn't officially ordered a recall! I believe I have a lemon and they should replace my car! my 16 year old daughter was driving she took off from a stop sign and was almost hit from the side the car was vibrating and wouldn't accelerate. This is a very dangerous issue. My car is currently back at pat lobb Toyota waiting on their diagnosis once again!

- Melissa, TX, USA

Mar 202015

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel would shake violently and the vehicle would veer to the side. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the two front tires were defective and needed to be replaced. The tires were replaced. However, the failure recurred. In addition, the contact stated that when starting the engine, there was a loud noise present. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,912. MA 9/22

- Marion, AR, USA

Mar 182014

Camry

I was traveling approximately 26mph into an intersection and my car started slowing down for no reason. As I entered the intersection, I started pushing down on the accelerator to get out of the way of the other MA 10/22/2015 cars trying to get through the intersection. As I kept pumping on the accelerator my transmission apparently down shifted into a lower gear and the car took off in a giant leap forward, almost broad siding the car that was passing in front of me. My car has continually stalled many times since then. I reported the problem to Toyota where I bought the car, they said they had never heard of such a thing before. I'm not sure what to do now?

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Mar 102014

Camry 4-cyl

On a cold start, the engine sounds rough for about a second or two. Grinding type noise. Completely different from the normal warm-engine start-up sounds. Also, the engine does not sound right for about the first mile or so after a cold start, sort of a whining noise from the front right side of the engine compartment. Clearly audible when lightly revving between 1500-2000 rpms. Although tsb-004-13-a has not yet been expanded to include the 2013 Camry, it sounds a lot like that exact issue may be affecting the 2013S. This 2013 was built in the same plant as the 2010-12 Camry that are part of the tsb. I have taken it to the dealer twice and was told that 'these sounds are within the normal range of noises an engine can make'. I disagree. The vehicle now has 37K miles on it, I am hoping it will be fixed prior to the expiration of the powertrain warranty (60K).

- Dexter, MI, USA

Nov 032014

- Riverside, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Camry 4-cyl

When accelerating from a stop the vehicle will sometimes move about 10 feet and then hesitate for about 1 to 2 seconds. It will then accelerate normally. One time the vehicle accelerated to about 20 mph and then the engine RPM returned to idle. The accelerator was pushed to the floor and the RPM remained at idle. The accelerator was released and pushed down again. The vehicle accelerated normally. This happened only one time. The intermittent hesitation is very dangerous when trying to cross a busy intersection when the cross traffic is uncontrolled. The vehicle was taken to the dealership for the problem. The technician could not duplicate the condition. The U760E torque converter shudder recall upgrade was performed. This did not fix the problem. The service advisor said that the technician said that some transmission hesitation was normal. The service advisor also said there had been other complaints about this condition. There are also complaints on the online automobile forums. This condition is dangerous and not normal......updated 03-03-15 the consumer stated the problem was not fixed. Within the last week, he removed his foot from the accelerator to slow down from 65 mph to 40 mph. When he tried to accelerate to merge into the off ramp of traffic, he had to push the accelerator to the floor. The vehicle did not accelerate. The consumer released the accelerator, pushed down again and everything went back to normal. The consumer stated the problem is still not fixed. Updated 04/02/15

- Chickasha, OK, USA

Apr 022014

Camry

Toyota has another throttle problem. I bought a 2103 Camry SE on March 30th 2013 from larry miller Toyota and it exhibits an intermittent throttle problem. When I start from a stop some times it seems as if the engine dies. It does not as the engine does not need to be restarted. The throttle is simply non-responsive. The car moves ahead a little and virtually dies. This can occur going straight ahead, turning right or worse yet in the process of making a left turn. This is very much a safety issue when executing a turn when it appears one has a break in traffic and the car barely moves. The car has been back to the dealer and there is no failure code so they say they cannot verify the problem and that it is working as it should. I went out for a short ride with the shop foreman and I could not replicate the problem. He did say that he had 3 or 4 other vehicles with a similar problem. I did leave the car with them for 2 days and they drove it 54 miles and could not duplicate the problem. My suggestion to the dealer and to Toyota is to determine what is most likely to cause this problem and replace it and see if this will fix it. They will not do this. It must be a problem they can verify "find a failure code". I have asked them to replace the throttle transducer which is $250 if replacing it does not fix the problem I would pay for it. The lack of a failure code just means it is not a hard problem and failing in a manner they anticipated when they set up there failure trouble shooting procedures.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Apr 302013

Camry

Vehicle was purchased new in April 2013. For as long as I have owned the car, the engine has had a loud whining noise when driving 10 -35 mph, always when accelerating. The noise is considerable and noticeable, sounding like a transmission or possible engine problem. Being skeptical of my myself, I have driven 2 friend's Camry with 4 cylinder engines I have also driven a 2013 Toyota rav4 with the exact engine and 6 speed gear transmission. None of these make the loud whining noise my engine makes (1 a 2012 Camry and the other a 2013 Camry model and 1 rav4 2013 model). I have mentioned it 3 times on 3 different service visits to dealer. Each time they write it off as transmission gear shifting with 6 speed auto transmission. I do not buy this due to every car I have driven the engine's are quiet at these speeds and do not make the high whining noise my car makes. Matter of fact, they were considerably quiet to the point you cannot even hardly hear the engine. I know that this is not exactly a safety issue but a great concern in which I am being ignored. Just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue as well. Note that I am a automotive glass parts supplier & electrical engineer and I do not imagine things.

- Meadville, PA, USA

Sep 152013

Camry 4-cyl

The car engine and RPM go up when the car go down hill or you slow down in traffic at speed 45/35/25 mph. Definitely it happen more often at speed of 25/35 mph with full tank or 3/4 of gas tank. When I'm down hill at speed 30 or more then come to the point you need to slow down to make a turn at 25 mph the RPM when up to at some point the RPM up to 2.5 X 1000. I have notice this issue at my Toyota dealer when my service 10,000 mile and they test the car and said nothing happen to the car. I'm concerning I might end up out of control the car if this issue continues happen and I'll be in the car accident. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).

- Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Dec 152013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle the check engine light illuminated. The contact inspected the vehicle and found that rodents had damaged the electrical wiring by attempting to build a nest inside the engine compartment. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 6000. Updated 02/11/2014

- Mccalla, AL, USA

Oct 272013

Camry 4-cyl

I bought a 2013 Toyota Camry from germain Toyota, columbus Ohio less than 24 hours ago on 10/26/2013, this was a Toyota certified used car with 160 point inspection and 3 year/36,000 and 7 year/100,000 powertrain warranty, was hardly 6 months old with only 8,274 miles on it when I took possession. In less than 24 hours back in dayton some major problem appeared while driving, first the engine started making some small noise but no warning indicator came up on the dashboard, later on after about a mile it suddenly and completely stopped while I slowed down for a red traffic light. I turned off the ignition and restarted the car, then it suddenly stopped again while getting on the I-75 highway exit. There were cars behind me and crossing by and it was a very dangerous situation considering it suddenly and completely stopped while driving as I slowed down a little bit. All this happened without any warning indicator on the dashboard, and considering this is a current year 2013 Camry model with Toyota certified and very low mileage this is extremely unsatisfactory and put me and my wife at danger. I'll also try to contact the dealer and Toyota customer service separately, I'm also not sure if Toyota or the dealer had any prior knowledge of the defect or were just careless considering they did a 160 point inspection and sold this as a Toyota certified used car. Considering I bought this less than 24 hours ago, I'll try to return this to the dealer and if there is any hassle I would like to pursue this further in the court. Please contact me if NHTSA would like to test or look at the vehicle.

- Miamisburg, OH, USA

Sep 212013

Camry

While driving uphill on I80 in pa our engine suddenly lost power. Warning light flashed and buzzer sounded. We were able to move over a lane and then off road. We were lucky. After shutting off power switch, we were able to start and accelerate normally. We noticed that our hybrid 3013 Camry was then no longer in eco mode. We then figured out what happened. Reaching into the storage compartment, I accidentally touched the ev button which turned off the gas engine. The electric motor was not strong enough alone to keep up a safe speed. We suddenly decelerated and luckily were able to avoid a serious accident.

- Washington, DC, USA