2014 Toyota Camry accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Camry:

2014 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Jun 262014

After 3 days I finally got around to looking for the trunk lock - I.e. the key lock feature that disables the trunk release next to the driver. Only there isn't one! how could this be? my recently traded 2003 Honda and older Honda's I've owned all had this feature - I assumed Toyota did too - a detail that didn't loom large when initially reviewing the car because I assumed it had one. So after research and much to my dismay (I returned a perfect 2014 rav4 because I felt "exposed" with items in the interior luggage area) I now find this vehicle also "exposes" me to potential loss because I cannot secure my personal items. I am not the first to comment to this flaw and Toyota certainly has had time to correct the issue (2 yrs) but apparently decided not to. Toyota should correct this flaw as soon as possible - the best selling car in America can be a thief's best too.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 082014

New car purchase. 40 year buyer of Toyota Camry vehicles. Apparently Toyota discontinued a key trunk locking feature included in all previous years and models of Toyota. They provide a "valet key" which keeps valets out of the glove box but not out of the trunk as was the case with all previous valet keys provided with my previous 3 Camry's and 2 corollas. Toyota dealer advise me that I could get a key locking trunk on the avalon a much more expensive vehicle. He also suggested I could get another manufacturers car. Honda has key locking trunks. Contact with Toyota corporation of America resulted in a suggestion that I not store valuable in the trunk or to remove all valuables from the trunk while traveling. Since the trunk release can be triggered by anyone sitting in the driver seat, the trunk can fly open while the vehicle in motion allowing the contents to be blown out of the trunk an into the path of following vehicles. This occurred once when I attempted to pick up a kerchief that fell to the floor while driving. The kerchief caught on the release ant the trunk popped open. Fortunately there was nothing in the trunk. The trunk did block my rear view until I could safely move to the shoulder of the road to close it. Toyota has admitted that the no key lock trunk was a design error and my concern would be forwarded to some department or other for inclusion in their future designs?

- Baton Rouge, , LA, USA