2014 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Camry:

2014 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 202015

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Camry. While driving various speeds, the vehicle surged and hesitated to move forward. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician did a hard reset on the atc and the learning code; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 9,591.

- Andersonville, NC, USA

Oct 152015

When turning, car is moving slowly forward and car fails to accelerate when gas pedal is pressed to complete the turn. Turning right or left. There is a 5 second hesitation before it kicks in. City driving. Car in motion and there is also an acceleration hesitation when trying to pass a car in highway driving. Unknown component problem. Drive train problem. Transmission problem.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Jun 022016

The car hesitates for about 4 seconds when accelerating. It does not happen every time but rather randomly. It typically happens once a day (2 hours of driving). This is extremely dangerous when trying to get on the freeway or going through an intersection. It happens when driving around 15 to 25 mph. After the hesitation the car takes off very fast. The pattern seems to be if you are accelerating slightly as if to enter an intersection and then you take your foot off the pedal to coast (no brake applied) and then you try to accelerate again to get through the intersection. This has occurred since the first day the car was purchased so it is not a wear issue. I have been in many, many near miss situations. There are many people discussing this issue on the web so it is not just me. I even found one site where a Toyota service rep said they see 40 to 50 cars a week with this problem but they keep turning them away saying there is no problem because it is hard to make the problem happen when it is in for service. This is a huge safety issue that needs to be addressed.

- Garland, TX, USA

May 312016

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Camry. While driving at an unknown speed and making a left turn, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle accelerated and failed to stop. As a result, the contact crashed into the front of another vehicle. The contact was unsure if the air bag deployed. The contact sustained chest, right arm, and leg injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed from the crash scene. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Waaukegan, IL, USA

Mar 152016

The cruse control on this vehicle, as well as other Toyota vehicles, does not work correctly on hills or inclines. When set at a speed it will continue to increase speed when going down the hill. This is dangerous which could result in someone being killed. I had a corolla before that had same problem my brother-in-law has a Camry that also has the same issue. I spoke to one of the sales persons at L & S Toyota in beckley, wv. He said all Toyota with this type transmission would not work correctly on a hill. This happens all the time when using cruse on inter state 64 speed limit is 70 miles per hr. Vehicle will be doing 80 before you know it if you don't notice it it is hard to tell how fast you would be going. Accidents could already happened because of this. I am using a date below to continue

- Charmco, WV, USA

Mar 062016

Sometimes when pushing the gas pedal the car will not go. Pushed it to the floor still nothing took a few seconds for it to work again. This has happened a few times already. Usually after stopping then trying to accelerate nothing happens.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Nov 152015

On a city street either stationary or in motion, or on highway, when pressing the accelerator pedal suddenly but not 'flooring it' the car hesitates and then feels like it downshifts and is slow to increase speed.

- San Marino, CA, USA

May 012015

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Camry. While depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would suddenly hesitate and pause for approximately four seconds before accelerating and driving normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 6,000.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Jun 212015

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Camry. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact depressed the brake pedal, but the brakes failed. As a result, the contact crashed into trees and shrubbery. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle sustained extensive front end and driver side damage. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,900. Updated 11/04/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was not totaled and repaired. Updated 2/1/2016

- Islip Terrace, NY, USA

May 062015

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Camry. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle accelerated and crashed into the rear of another vehicle, causing a three-vehicle crash. The air bags failed to deploy. The contract sustained a back injury that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed by the insurance company and repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 16,000. MA 10/8

- Canton, MI, USA

May 312015

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Camry. While attempting to park, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle accelerated independently. As a result, the contact crashed into a refrigerator and the air bags failed to deploy. No injuries were sustained and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,100.

- Miskayuna, NY, USA

Jun 272014

In June 2014 I bought a 2014.5 Camry brand new. During the first week I drove it the accelerator would not speed up after pressing down & hesitated as well trying to catch up. I reported this to Toyota of orlando & was informed it was learning my driving techniques after a test drive. The report was never documented by the service department & I had to identify who drove me for the problem I reported to prove I actually reported it. It was stated he just forgot. This kept happening very frequently & after another driver randomly drove my car & asked what was wrong I immediately took it in again Nov 27,2014. They did nothing. I was refused to be seen after scheduling an appointment with Toyota of clermont, fl & they heard of my problem. The problem persisted. December 28, 2014 as I was driving with people in my car, the engine cut off at 55 mph. I pressed the accelerator all the way down & it continued to decline. This was reported the next morning. I was told to park my car because everyone was on vacation & not to drive it. They would not rent a car for me in the meantime. Once I was able to be seen it could not be duplicated. This happened again with my children in January 2015 & was also recorded by a passenger riding with me. After that occasion every signal light came on. I took it back to a different Toyota of central Florida dealer & reported the problem & the mechanic stated nobody from Toyota orlando attempted to contact or call the service tech line to find the problem. They added a code to fix it and I left. After 1000 miles of driving the hesitation started again & also the gears could be felt changing by the mechanic who test drove it with me. The Toyota dealership at central Florida gave me a repair order & then a totally different repair order to corporate. I've written the manufacturer demanding my money back & they constantly give me false information. My job was lost due to no reliable transportation and I'm still waiting to go to a lemon law hearing that will hopefully be scheduled soon.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 282014

Camry 4-cyl

First incident was it speeding up and going through garage door. In March, 2015 was incident with foot on brake that the car engine revved up and then surged forward into another car at a fast food drive in. Later that day coming off the interstate, it surged forward when foot on brake, slowing for stop sign at end of exit ramp. Car surged forward and I went through the stop sign and barely missed hitting 2 cars.

- Salina, KS, USA

Dec 012014

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Nescopeck, PA, USA

Jan 152015

I was driving on a local road (40mph) in January 2015 and at some point had to press on my brakes somewhat abruptly due to a car in front of me suddenly slowing down. A few minutes later my car accelerating capacity suddenly turned off and the car was coming to a stop in the middle of the road and the car was making a loud revving noise as I tried to increase the speed. It also was not moving further. I somehow pulled over to a right turning lane, where I stopped the car and turned off the engine. When I turned it back on, the car began running fine. Then again on 3/1/2015 I was driving on a road connecting to the highway at maybe 35-40mph when this time I had to make a sudden break due to another car merging into the lane unexpectedly. My car then immediately stopped moving forward and the car was turning off in the middle of the road. In order to be hit by traffic coming behind me at 50+ mph, I was finally again able to veer into a right turning lane where I turned the car off and started it again. It was also making that same loud revving noise when I was veering it into the safety lane. It again drove fine all the way back home. This is a 10 month old Toyota Camry SE (bought in April 2014) and I'm terrified that if for any reason I need to hit my brakes suddenly on a highway or anywhere else, my car will turn off and that will be the end of my car and me. There is clearly a serious defect in this car or model and others need to know. The care was bought in ms.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jan 092015

Camry 6-cyl

Camry had an unintended acceleration in a school parking lot. My wife was parking at the santa clara adult education center on benton ave, santa clara, ca. She was driving in the parking lot and made a right turn into the parking stall. As she approached the concrete stop at the end of the stall, her car went full throttle and started going forward. My wife stepped on the brakes but the car still continued going forward. It went over the concrete stop, went another 6 feet pass the stop, and went over another concrete strip. The 2 concrete stops helped slow the car down, but stepping on the brakes did not help. The car stopped about 5 feet from a building so damage was just to the front bumper and splash guard under the engine. Toyota had the vehicle inspected but they couldn't find anything wrong with the car so is not taking responsibility. Since this occurred at a school, I was able to obtain videos of the car from the school. It shows the car entering the parking lot from the street, going through the parking lot, and turning into the parking stall. The video shows the brake lights on going into the parking stall, but there is no footage of the car while it was going over the concrete stops. I'm hoping NHTSA investigates the 2014 Camry as there were others on this site with the same problem. Just because Toyota can't find the cause doesn't mean there is no problem with the car. Anyone who has taken a car in to a mechanic who can't find the problem would realize this.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Oct 082014

Camry 6-cyl

I do not know if it is a power train, engine, transmission or accelerator pedal that tis causing the problem. This problem is intermittent, that is, it doesn't happened all the time. The first time the problem happened was when the car was very new -100km - and I pressed on the accelerator to pass a vehicle and nothing happened, the car seemed to be dead then a few moments later - 1-2 seconds - the car just took off. The next it happened was at 2500 miles and the car was about 20 min. Into driving in the late fall. I came to a stop sign and the traffic was very heavy. I saw an opportunity to get into traffic and pressed on the accelerator and nothing happened the car just didn't move. Then all of a sudden it took off spinning its wheels and I almost lost control. The next time it happened was on a very cold day and again I was at a stop sign and pressed on the accelerator to go ahead and... nothing. Then all of a sudden it just took off. I have taken the car to the service center and they drove it for 20 minutes and after a charge of $24 they said that nothing is wrong. I did tell them it was an intermittent problem. This is very scary because of the lapse of response and then a sudden response can leave the driver in a dangerous situation. To prevent an accident I try not to expect immediate response from my accelerator. Has there been ""hidden recall" to this problem?.....updated 03-03-15 updated 3/24/2016

- Sherwood Park, Alberta, T8a0t2, AK, USA

Oct 042014

Camry 6-cyl

Gas pedal on occasion fails to move car forward, when it does the auto jumps forward. There is no pattern to this failure. Auto feels like it does not have any suspension. When driving on highway at posted speed limits, auto bounces around turns as if it was going over small speed bumps in the road. We travel on a state highway and every imperfection is felt by all passengers, and can be seen in vibrations noticed in the steering wheel. The dealer has replaced the tires, but, this has not solved the problem, I was told by this dealer there is a problem with the auto, however, we had to leave this dealership before further action could be taken. Our new local dealer can not find anything wrong, or says there is nothing wrong.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 112014

Noise when vehicle reaches speeds over 35 mph. Windshield wiper fluid not dispensing when turned on. Pulling and de-accerelation sometimes at 60 mph.

- Upper Marlboro, DC, USA

Oct 072014

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 1 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated while the brake pedal was applied. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 1,903.

- Clearwater, FL, USA