Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 112016

Camry Hybrid

My car has hit 171073 and is the 2nd time or 3 time that saids "check vsc system"and my stability control is notbworking propertly the dealer said is something normal with this year mkd and model of the car please help.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 202016

Camry Hybrid

Warning signs appeared on dash and the car was taken to a local dealership for diagnostic. Upon diagnostic, the dealership advised to change the hybrid battery to fix the problem. Took the car to the local hybrid battery expert and found that the battery was operating normal. Took the car to another dealership and they advised ABS actuator was faulty. Toyota acknowledged using the faulty ABS actuator and was offering free replacement for vehicles under 150K. The car just passed 160K and the service was denied. The car has been serviced by the local Toyota dealership for regular mainteinance and they should have been instructed to inform the customers of possible danger of faulty ABS actuator. The owner of the vehicle was never informed when the car was in for services at the dealership.

- Madision, WI, USA

May 142016

Camry Hybrid

Two warning signals appeared immediately after starting the car. 1. "check vsc system" 2. "check hybrid system" the warning message are on constantly. The hybrid system does not engage at all. The braking system does not stop the car as normal. Extra pressure is required to slow the vehicle.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Apr 142016

Camry Hybrid

After swerving/braking to avoid collision in intersection, vehicle dash warning indicators for brake, ABS, and check vsc all illuminated. Was able to continue driving to destination while braking cautiously and took car to Toyota dealer the next day. Dealer confirmed the ABS actuator needed to be replaced and that the car was unsafe to drive without spending the $2000+ (I was 700 miles over the warranty enhancement end date) to fix it. After reviewing the maintenance records on my vehicle, this will be the 3rd brake actuator in this vehicle. How can a manufacturer acknowledge an issue with a critical system like this, but get away without a recall? an investigation into the mean time between failure of a critical safety system such as this needs to be undertaken as this is criminal.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 022016

Camry Hybrid

Was driving, and hybrid system check light came on...continued driving slowly then car lost a bit of parking break was on and vcs failure light came on. Drove home after with hybrid system check still on.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 182016

Camry Hybrid

While my car was in motion, my vsc system check light was on and almost simultaneously the check hybrid system light was on along with the check engine light. The car did not let me accelerate above 30mph.N and I could feel the friction while accelerating. I had to call roadside assistance to have my car towed.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Feb 242016

Camry Hybrid

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid with 152850 miles. This happened yesterday (2/24/2016). It was parked and when I started the vehicle this message immediately showed up along with 4 lights turned on. 1 - check vsc system 2 - red "brake" indicator (brake system warning light) 3 - yellow indicator (brake system warning light) 4 - master warning light 5 - ABS indicator light the brake oil is full. I felt like its taking longer time to stop. Also unlike before sometimes have to press the brake all the way to the floor.

- Bear, DE, USA

Jan 212016

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving at 40 mph, the check vsc warning light illuminated and the vehicle experienced brake failure. The contact stated that the vehicle required additional braking distance to stop the vehicle, with extreme pressure being exerted on the brake pedal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000.

- St.Louis, MO, USA

Jan 202016

Camry Hybrid

I was driving about 45 mph when the break light lit up on the dash. Within a minute after the ABS light came on along with check parking break and check vsc sytem and the general hazard light all were on. I tried to break and pull over and when I did I realize I could not stop. The assist breaks had been completely disabled and I had to push very very hard to slow down. I had to also use the parking break to assist me. When I turned the car off and back on again the breaks are back as if nothing was wrong. This has happened a few times each with a very frightening without warning experience. My mechanic says there are no codes showing what is happening. This has the potential to kill someone. Especially a new driver or an elderly person that simply would not have the great deal of power needed or the reflexes to slow down when the system malfunctions. This should be a recall!!

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Jan 042016

Camry Hybrid

"check vsc system" when I took my car out this morning, I got a warning light saying "check vsc system". my brake light and ABS lights are also on. The car brakes with a jerk and I am scared to drive it. This problem has been happening quite often. Complaints to the Toyota dealer did not help. As per a lot of people are experiencing the same problem and have complained to NHTSA. Please help with a recall as it is unsafe to drive the car this way.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Dec 112015

Camry Hybrid

I was driving when the check vsc warning came on as well as the indicator warning light, the brake warning light, the ABS warning light and the vsc warning light. All the lights remained on until I reached my destination. The brake system made a strange "grunting" noise when the brakes were depressed but the brakes seemed to function properly. The lights came back on when the car was restarted and less than halfway on the return trip, went off. There has been no noticeable loss of braking. On the 21st of the month the lights came back on and have not gone off. The ABS pump actuator appears to be cycling very quickly.

- Angleton, TX, USA

Nov 032015

Camry Hybrid

I was driving to work in the morning and while on the freeway, my brakes suddenly did not work. Every light on the dash turned on and it said "check vsc system" it has now happened three times and I am afraid to drive my vehicle. I searched online and saw that this has happened to a lot of other people so I feel it's a defect and there should be a recall.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Nov 042015

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc system comes on, the brake becomes very hard and lights such as ABS and others come up on the dashboard while in motion.

- Edmonton, AL, USA

Nov 032015

Camry Hybrid

I had to replace today my brake actuator and bleed brakes because started in one week ago, every time I stepped in my brake made noise like when you honk for somebody. I would like to know if Toyota had a recall about this problem because I think they did and I paid $1.800 for a problem I think they should pay for this problem in my car

- Roswell, GA, USA

Oct 232015

Camry Hybrid

While driving under 45 mph on a straight Suburban paved road, my brake light came on then off then on again directly followed by all the warning lights coming on and the display showed "check vcs system". I was entering a turn lane behind another vehicle and quickly realized the brake pedal was not working. I had no brakes! I had already put the car into the engine brake mode which helped slow my vehicle. I slammed down on the brake pedal as hard as I could and swerved away from the car in front of me to avoid hitting them. After successfully pulling over and to a stop, I turn the vehicle off and waited for a few minutes. I turned the car back on and all the lights and check vcs system was still displayed for about 30 seconds. I heard a small click and all the warning lights turned off and the car and brakes were back to normal. I am honestly now afraid to drive my own car for fear of not knowing when and if that will happen again.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Sep 272015

Camry Hybrid

I started my car this morning and a message that said check vsc system appeared. The brake light and master warning lights also appeared. I started to go out the drive way and could not press the brakes. It was a little jumpy and the brakes are hard to press now.

- Kinston, NC, USA

Mar 102015

Camry Hybrid

While driving on freeway car lost some braking power and slight pulsing could be felt when pressing on brakes. At the same time the dash lights all lit up; emergency brake light, ABS light, warning lights, and screen said check vsc system. Prior to system failing emergency brake light would randomly turn on... very scary when driving 65 mph. Also at slower speeds, it is difficult to apply adequate pressure on the brake pedal to stop normally.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Apr 192015

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc warning indicator came on when driving my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid this afternoon. When that was on, my car was dragging as if the emergency brakes were on. So I drove very slow when this took place, in an attempt to get home since I was only a few miles from where I lived. In about 5-7 minutes, when I had stopped at a red light, this warning went off and the car worked as it normally has. When I got home and googled this for my car, a number of articles came up about a possible recall for this issue for 2007 Toyota Camry hybrids. Can you please advise on the status of the possible recall for this issue with this car?

- East Northport, NY, USA

Mar 202015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On 20 March 2015, while starting the car, a warning indicator showed up on my instrument panel. The indicator stated ( check hybrid system.....vsc system ). I parked the car for the day. Day 2, I took the car to a auto shop and had a basic scan that reads ABS codes performed on the car. The basic scan reveled to "replace battery pack". two mechanics informed me while performing the scan, a burning odor was observed from the car. I drove the car home and parked it. I lastly observed the only information displayed from the instrument panel was " check hybrid system". the only lights on were the warning light and the engine light.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Feb 182015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving my car lost all braking capabilities with "check vsc system" message on instrument panel, ABS light, parking brake light, traction control light, engine light, warning light illuminated. Fortunately, I was able to pull car off of the road and into a parking lot. I waited several hours and tried again to start the car to take to Toyota for service. The car ran just fine driving to Toyota and now they are refusing to fix because it will not repeat the issue. I told them of warranty enhancement program ZE1 which indicates the problem with the car, they are not willing to fix still. This is a serious safety issue that will kill someone eventually. If I am in an accident caused by this issue with Toyota not willing to fix, I will be filing lawsuit. God help me because I have two small kids that ride in my car often.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA