CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 10 of 16)

Mar 112014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving on the service road of the interstate highway approximately 20 mph. I felt the car jerk forward slightly followed by numerous warning indicator lights including brake light, check vsc system and ABS. I immediately tried to brake because there was a car approximately 10 feet in front of me. The brake pedal would not depress. It felt as if the brakes had gone out. The lights then disappeared a few minutes later and brakes worked properly. I had just purchased the car six days earlier. Interestingly, when I test drove the car, the same event happened, but I was tapping my brakes during a slow right turn yielding to traffic, and didn't notice the loss of brakes. 2 events in 6 days. My car is now at the Toyota service center. I am afraid to drive it with this intermittent brake issue. I have to believe based on reading other complaints and recalls that Toyota is aware of this issue and isn't properly concerned about expediting the recall. This is a serious issue with potential deadly consequences. I hope the recall is issued soon. My car is not drivable in it's current defective condition.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was turning into my office parking lot when my "check vsc system", brake light, stability control light, etc came on. Immediately, my brakes were practically gone and fortunately nobody was coming the other direction or I wouldn't have been able to stop. Over the next few months, this same thing happened every few days, mostly when driving around 50mph but it would go away and be back to normal, usually within a few minutes. Eventually, the lights came on and this time stayed on (they've been on for a few weeks now), but the brakes seem to be working fine. However, I'm scared that they will give out. I've done some research on this and I believe there is already an investigation underway. I just wanted to add my name/complaint to the list. This is absolutely a safety hazard that will result in deaths if not recalled. I've read that some people who have had this fixed at the dealership or a repair shop are paying around $3000 dollars to have it fixed. I don't have $3000 dollars to spend on something that Toyota should take care of themselves because of a flaw in their car's design. I don't have the money to spend, but I also don't want to die! please do something about this.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

As I was slowing for a stop sign, the check vsc system light came on and I had to push harder on the brakes than I normally do. I turned the car off and after a short time restarted it and the car proceeded normally. About two weeks later as I was driving about 50 mph, the brake, vsc, and ABS warning lights all came on. I pulled into a turn lane and slowed to a stop. Again I had to push the pedal harder than normal.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Mar 082014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I applied a very fast pumping of the brake to slow vehicle while in accelerating traffic lane. Traveling only about 25 mph, attempting to distance myself from vehicle in front of me that was accelerating more slowly than what I was anticipating, the vehicle began alarming and the entire dashboard emergency lights began flashing. Received warning that the ESC needed to be checked, then warned to take to dealer immediately. I was able to drive off the highway; at that point, car undriveable. At the dealer, chief technician advised me that the skid control relay switches remained on after the car was powered off and essentially melted. Cost of repair was $3700. Dealer was willing to pay half of the invoice based on "good will". I am reporting this after reading this link: green.autoblog.com/2014/01/27/NHTSA-investigating-30000-Toyota-Camry-hybrids-brake-assist/ in no way do I feel responsible for this catastrophic occurrence nor for the repair cost. The fault appears to be in poor mechanical design, but until the company assumes responsibility I am obliged to pay. I am grateful there was no injury or death.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Feb 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving down the freeway in the rain an extremely loud alarm went off and the vsc, brake, ABS, and triangle lights were on without my foot being on the brake pedal. The car would not stop and fortunately I was able to slow down without incident. I took the car to Toyota on the following Monday in dry weather and was getting off the freeway and the left front brake locked up and skidded 30 feet. This time I almost hit 2 cars but was able to steer clear. The dealer told me it was the actuator. This is the 3rd time this car was in for those lights going off and disables the power generators for help in slowing down. It also happens in the car wash. I have never felt the ABS work on this car since I've owned it. It always set the code and disables it. It's in the shop right now as I'm writing this waiting for me to say fix it for $3000. ? I was hoping NHTSA would investigate this car before it's fixed to see the problem everybody is complaining about. My wife says she will never drive this car again after its fixed. It was a very frightening situation.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Mar 072014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the ABS warning indicator illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who indicated that the ABS accumulator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred twice. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Jan 302014

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc light on, loss of brakes. Near accident. Toyota says $3000 to replace brake ABS actuator.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Jan 302014

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc light with intermittent loss of braking. Toyota says needs new ABS actuator at over $2500.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Mar 012014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving with my wife in our 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid on a surface street, I applied the brakes and realized that the car was not slowing down. The brakes had failed, and when I looked at the dashboard, the display said, "check vsc system". the lights for the "brake" and the ABS lights were also illuminated. Luckily we did not have any cars immediately in front of us, or to the right, so we were able to change lanes and exit on to a side road. The brake system came back online after about 10 seconds, and we were once again able to slow the car down. This was a extremely terrifying experience, and I have since then found out that many others have faced the same problem, on the same make and model. This has happened a few different times in the past to both my wife and myself, but fortunately we were backing out of a parking spot whenever it happened. This prompted us to take our car in to the dealer and asked them to check the brake system. We have also asked the dealer to check the brake system whenever we have taken the car in for routine maintenance. On both occasions, the dealer has never detected any issue with the braking system, and we have continued driving our car unaware of the potential risk. We need to use our car, but are unable to because it is now a safety hazard. I urge Toyota to issue a recall and fix this problem immediately as it directly impacts human lives. After researching this issue, I have found that the cost to fix it is between $2500 and $3000. Our car is nearing 7 years old, and the cost of the repair is nearly 30% of the car's worth. It is ridiculous to expect a consumer to foot the cost of this bill, when instead it should be Toyota's responsibility, due to the fact that this is a manufacturer defect and is a risk to people's lives.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Dec 192013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on crowed road (RT7 fairfax va) ABS, brake, check engine and other warning lights came on. Car was very difficult to drive and stop. Almost went into a crash while trying to stop. The next day lights went off. Then came on 2 days later. This was the 4th incident the dealer could not replicate the incident.. I understand looking at your web site Toyota has a defective part which they refuse to recall" I understand it is a faulty actuator? when will a recall be issued" this is a dangerous situation.

- Ashbrun, VA, USA

Mar 062014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Started car up and "check vsc system" signal comes on, after doing research turns out thousands are having this issue. It does not show up on a computer. I contacted Toyota and they told me it will cost 2,800. I feel this is an issue they know about because some customers say their replacement part looks nothing like the regular. Now the car shakes when it brakes.

- Chester , VA, USA

Mar 022014

Camry Hybrid

On March 2, 2014 I was backing out of the garage when I noticed that multiple warning lights had lit up on the dash, including the words "check vsc system". at that point I tapped the brakes to stop the car and realized that the brakes were not working properly. In order to stop the car I needed to push the brake pedal almost to the floor. I tried driving it slowly down the street and at just 15-20 mph the car was very difficult to stop. After turning the car on and off a few times and pulling it forward and backwards a few times the warning lights turned off and the brakes suddenly worked again. The next day, March 3, 2014, I took the car to the Toyota dealer, however they were unable to replicate the problem or pull an error code from the cars computer. I was sent on my way without any repair being done and was told if the problem happens again to bring it back in. I mentioned the formal investigation by the NHTSA for this problem but they were not aware of it. This seems to be a common problem and is very dangerous. I was lucky to be driving slowly when this occurred, which doesn't seem to be the case for others. After reading other cases, I'm very concerned to drive this car. My understanding is that Toyota is aware of the defective part (the ABS actuator/accumulator) since they have redesigned the replacement part. Toyota needs to do a recall for this part immediately!

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Apr 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

In 2012, there was some noise coming from the rear brakes. In April 2013, the brake lights turned on. When we pressed on the brakes, brakes were not stopping. We heard abnormal grinding metallic noise from rear brakes. We took the 2007 Camry hybrid to the dealer. They said that the rear brake pads had worn out abnormally fast. They couldn't pinpoint the problem. After 9 months, the brakes were not stopping again, the abnormal metallic noise came back, the rear brake pads wore out prematurely fast again. The dealer told us the brake actuator needs to be replaced, which would cost $3300 to repair the defect. There are already 118 complaints regarding this brake failure. Toyota needs to take responsibility before there are more serious accidents. Please recall these brake part failures for everyone's safety.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Mar 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, the brake pedal was applied numerous times before the vehicle would respond. In addition, the ABS and vsc warning indicators were illuminated. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000.

- Crawfordville, FL, USA

Oct 232013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving home from work and brake to make a turn into the gate leading to my home and the brakes failed, even though the brake peddle was depressed to the floor. The car failed to slow or stop, thankfully there wasn't anyone in front of me or I would have definitely rear-ended them. The vehicle eventually stopped more than 400 meters away with me pumping the brakes! at the time vsc, ABS & brake lights lit up the dash. I contacted Toyota and inquired whether they were aware of this problem and they stated emphatically "no". after running diagnostic on the vehicle, I was informed that I had to pay $3000 to fix it. I couldn't afford to fix the car then so we used my daughters vehicle. Last month I paid $3200 to have the car fixed! I also went online to find out if there were other people having this problem and found numerous complaints, including actual accidents and near misses like mine. There is definitely a problem with the 2007 Camry hybrid braking system and Toyota needs to issue a recall and fix the problem before lives are lost. They also need to refund those who have had to shell out this exorbitant amount of money to fix their defective part. Brakes are a necessity and these are all accidents waiting to happen! Toyota needs to held accountable...yet again for their defective braking system. We definitely don't have to wait for people to die or accidents to happen before they fix the problem.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Dec 012013

Camry Hybrid

I purchased a used 07 Camry hybrid in September 2013. On a return trip from Alabama over the thanksgiving holiday, the ABS, brake and (2) warning lights appeared in the display area of the dashboard. On Monday, December 02, 2013, I took the car to the local Toyota dealership later to find out that it will cost me approximately $3700 to have the ABS accumulator replaced.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Mar 032014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I turned on my car after dropping my daughter to school in the morning (around 8:30 am). I noticed the dash board is showing "check vsc system" and the brake warning light is on. I tried to drive in slow speed (10 mph) and pressed on brake but the car is not stopping as fast as I expect. I tried to drive up to about 10mph again and applied brake; the result is same: Car fails to stop fast. The warning lights were still on at this point. I pulled over by the curb, opened the hood and visually inspected levels of brake fluid. Fluid level looked normal. When I sat back in the driving seat, I noticed all the warning lights are off. Then tried driving and applied brake. Everything is normal. I scheduled an appointment with the dealership for Wednesday 3/5/2014. I suspect something is not right with my vehicle.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Sep 192013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Vsc lights plus all warning lights come on. Bell sounds and brakes essentially fail. Toyota quoted $2800. This issue was reported prior to my extended warranty expiring however the issue was not diagnosed by Toyota until after expiration of the warranty. This is a very dangerous issue that should be corrected free of charge.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 152013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving at approx 30 mph approaching a red light all warning lights go on in dashboard and bell sounds, went to put on brakes and could, nt slow down until I applied heavy pressure to brakes, and finally stopped. This happens not all the time but often enough to be dangerous, and not being able to stop quick.

- Rancho Mirage, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The "check vsc system" light came on as well as the parking brake symbol, tire stability symbol, etc. The brake pressure has been reduced. I took it to the dealership and they said I have to replace the ABS actuator with a cost of $3300 plus.

- Tomball, TX, USA