Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 10 of 15)

Mar 072014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the ABS warning indicator illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who indicated that the ABS accumulator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred twice. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Jan 302014

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc light on, loss of brakes. Near accident. Toyota says $3000 to replace brake ABS actuator.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Jan 302014

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc light with intermittent loss of braking. Toyota says needs new ABS actuator at over $2500.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Mar 012014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving with my wife in our 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid on a surface street, I applied the brakes and realized that the car was not slowing down. The brakes had failed, and when I looked at the dashboard, the display said, "check vsc system". the lights for the "brake" and the ABS lights were also illuminated. Luckily we did not have any cars immediately in front of us, or to the right, so we were able to change lanes and exit on to a side road. The brake system came back online after about 10 seconds, and we were once again able to slow the car down. This was a extremely terrifying experience, and I have since then found out that many others have faced the same problem, on the same make and model. This has happened a few different times in the past to both my wife and myself, but fortunately we were backing out of a parking spot whenever it happened. This prompted us to take our car in to the dealer and asked them to check the brake system. We have also asked the dealer to check the brake system whenever we have taken the car in for routine maintenance. On both occasions, the dealer has never detected any issue with the braking system, and we have continued driving our car unaware of the potential risk. We need to use our car, but are unable to because it is now a safety hazard. I urge Toyota to issue a recall and fix this problem immediately as it directly impacts human lives. After researching this issue, I have found that the cost to fix it is between $2500 and $3000. Our car is nearing 7 years old, and the cost of the repair is nearly 30% of the car's worth. It is ridiculous to expect a consumer to foot the cost of this bill, when instead it should be Toyota's responsibility, due to the fact that this is a manufacturer defect and is a risk to people's lives.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Dec 192013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on crowed road (RT7 fairfax va) ABS, brake, check engine and other warning lights came on. Car was very difficult to drive and stop. Almost went into a crash while trying to stop. The next day lights went off. Then came on 2 days later. This was the 4th incident the dealer could not replicate the incident.. I understand looking at your web site Toyota has a defective part which they refuse to recall" I understand it is a faulty actuator? when will a recall be issued" this is a dangerous situation.

- Ashbrun, VA, USA

Mar 062014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Started car up and "check vsc system" signal comes on, after doing research turns out thousands are having this issue. It does not show up on a computer. I contacted Toyota and they told me it will cost 2,800. I feel this is an issue they know about because some customers say their replacement part looks nothing like the regular. Now the car shakes when it brakes.

- Chester , VA, USA

Mar 022014

Camry Hybrid

On March 2, 2014 I was backing out of the garage when I noticed that multiple warning lights had lit up on the dash, including the words "check vsc system". at that point I tapped the brakes to stop the car and realized that the brakes were not working properly. In order to stop the car I needed to push the brake pedal almost to the floor. I tried driving it slowly down the street and at just 15-20 mph the car was very difficult to stop. After turning the car on and off a few times and pulling it forward and backwards a few times the warning lights turned off and the brakes suddenly worked again. The next day, March 3, 2014, I took the car to the Toyota dealer, however they were unable to replicate the problem or pull an error code from the cars computer. I was sent on my way without any repair being done and was told if the problem happens again to bring it back in. I mentioned the formal investigation by the NHTSA for this problem but they were not aware of it. This seems to be a common problem and is very dangerous. I was lucky to be driving slowly when this occurred, which doesn't seem to be the case for others. After reading other cases, I'm very concerned to drive this car. My understanding is that Toyota is aware of the defective part (the ABS actuator/accumulator) since they have redesigned the replacement part. Toyota needs to do a recall for this part immediately!

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Apr 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

In 2012, there was some noise coming from the rear brakes. In April 2013, the brake lights turned on. When we pressed on the brakes, brakes were not stopping. We heard abnormal grinding metallic noise from rear brakes. We took the 2007 Camry hybrid to the dealer. They said that the rear brake pads had worn out abnormally fast. They couldn't pinpoint the problem. After 9 months, the brakes were not stopping again, the abnormal metallic noise came back, the rear brake pads wore out prematurely fast again. The dealer told us the brake actuator needs to be replaced, which would cost $3300 to repair the defect. There are already 118 complaints regarding this brake failure. Toyota needs to take responsibility before there are more serious accidents. Please recall these brake part failures for everyone's safety.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Mar 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, the brake pedal was applied numerous times before the vehicle would respond. In addition, the ABS and vsc warning indicators were illuminated. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000.

- Crawfordville, FL, USA

Oct 232013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving home from work and brake to make a turn into the gate leading to my home and the brakes failed, even though the brake peddle was depressed to the floor. The car failed to slow or stop, thankfully there wasn't anyone in front of me or I would have definitely rear-ended them. The vehicle eventually stopped more than 400 meters away with me pumping the brakes! at the time vsc, ABS & brake lights lit up the dash. I contacted Toyota and inquired whether they were aware of this problem and they stated emphatically "no". after running diagnostic on the vehicle, I was informed that I had to pay $3000 to fix it. I couldn't afford to fix the car then so we used my daughters vehicle. Last month I paid $3200 to have the car fixed! I also went online to find out if there were other people having this problem and found numerous complaints, including actual accidents and near misses like mine. There is definitely a problem with the 2007 Camry hybrid braking system and Toyota needs to issue a recall and fix the problem before lives are lost. They also need to refund those who have had to shell out this exorbitant amount of money to fix their defective part. Brakes are a necessity and these are all accidents waiting to happen! Toyota needs to held accountable...yet again for their defective braking system. We definitely don't have to wait for people to die or accidents to happen before they fix the problem.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Dec 012013

Camry Hybrid

I purchased a used 07 Camry hybrid in September 2013. On a return trip from Alabama over the thanksgiving holiday, the ABS, brake and (2) warning lights appeared in the display area of the dashboard. On Monday, December 02, 2013, I took the car to the local Toyota dealership later to find out that it will cost me approximately $3700 to have the ABS accumulator replaced.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Mar 032014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I turned on my car after dropping my daughter to school in the morning (around 8:30 am). I noticed the dash board is showing "check vsc system" and the brake warning light is on. I tried to drive in slow speed (10 mph) and pressed on brake but the car is not stopping as fast as I expect. I tried to drive up to about 10mph again and applied brake; the result is same: Car fails to stop fast. The warning lights were still on at this point. I pulled over by the curb, opened the hood and visually inspected levels of brake fluid. Fluid level looked normal. When I sat back in the driving seat, I noticed all the warning lights are off. Then tried driving and applied brake. Everything is normal. I scheduled an appointment with the dealership for Wednesday 3/5/2014. I suspect something is not right with my vehicle.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Sep 192013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Vsc lights plus all warning lights come on. Bell sounds and brakes essentially fail. Toyota quoted $2800. This issue was reported prior to my extended warranty expiring however the issue was not diagnosed by Toyota until after expiration of the warranty. This is a very dangerous issue that should be corrected free of charge.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 152013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving at approx 30 mph approaching a red light all warning lights go on in dashboard and bell sounds, went to put on brakes and could, nt slow down until I applied heavy pressure to brakes, and finally stopped. This happens not all the time but often enough to be dangerous, and not being able to stop quick.

- Rancho Mirage, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The "check vsc system" light came on as well as the parking brake symbol, tire stability symbol, etc. The brake pressure has been reduced. I took it to the dealership and they said I have to replace the ABS actuator with a cost of $3300 plus.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jan 162014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving suddenly all light up on the dsh including brakes check vsc red triangle light ABS trac light, followed by complete brake failure at red light had to run the light luckily no traffic and accident was avoided few seconds later all lights disappeared and brakes came back to normal, vent to a shop to see that the issue was there no problem found and was told everything works as it should no error codes found, days later same problem happened complete brake failure followed by resuming to normal and once again mechanics did not find any issues... went online fount out it was a very common problem which im surprised Toyota mechanics know nothing about, the issue seems to be with brake actuator which costs about $2000, finally after few months I was able to arrive at the shop with all the lights still lit up and they finally have confirmed that in dead the problem is the brake actuator, however part was replaced with dame part number and when I asked if the part was updated due to massive premature failure of these units I was told it was not, this needs to be addressed before people start dieing.

- Troy, MI, USA

Feb 252014

Camry Hybrid

I turned on my car and I noticed a "check vsc system" light come on along with the "brake" light. I made sure my emergency brake was off and the warning lights remained on. I pulled away from my house and noticed that every time I went to brake, my brake felt hard and I could barely get it to move. I got about a mile away from my house and about 50 feet from an intersection I went to slow down, but my brake was still hard and when I tried to brake it failed to work for about 5 seconds until it finally kicked in. There were no cars in front of me, otherwise I would have probably hit a car for sure. I made sure to keep my distance for the rest of my trip. On my way home from work I noticed the "check vsc system" and "brake" light were no longer on, and my brake felt back to normal.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Sep 022013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

In late 3Q 2013 we began to hear a common sound from our 2007 Camry hybrid go from occasional to chronic: A 5-10 second hum from the front right, like a pump pressurizing a chamber. For the first few years we owned the car it would happen periodically; now it's happening every 5-10 seconds when the car is running and even when it's not, both before we start it (after opening the door) and for 10-15 minutes after it's been turned off. Sometimes we hear a sound like a bark or chirp; it started about the same time as the pressurization frequency increased. I'd also noticed an occasional throbbing of the brakes while the car was at rest. I've noticed no decline in performance, either from the engine or the hybrid system, and no issues with braking on the road. Once I've gotten the dreaded "check vsc system" error, but it cleared itself after a day. I took it into a Toyota dealership in December and tried to explain the problem; they thought it was a fan belt, and tightened the belts. That didn't solve the problem. I finally took it back in today, and the lead tech sat down with me in the car - he knew what it was almost immediately. They investigated, confirmed the issue, and informed me it would be $3100+ in parts and labor. I asked what they could do, given that there's an active NHTSA investigation and rumors of a class action lawsuit, and they came down to $2800. To their credit, the dealership has been professional, responsive, courteous and sympathetic. Still, after evaluating the replacement cost, the car's value, and our current finances, we're going to have to continue to drive the car daily despite the threat of a serious braking system failure. Not good.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 242014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving down interstate, all of a sudden the following warning lights came on: 1 - check vsc system 2 - red "brake" indicator (brake system warning light) 3 - yellow indicator (brake system warning light) 4 - master warning light 5 - ABS indicator. Continued the rest of the 3 miles towards home but brakes did not seem responsive. Took to automotive shop 2 miles away where they checked codes and quoted us a repair bill of $3500 for replacement of ABS accumulator. Called Toyota complaint line on 2/26/2014 and was told do not drive car. We had car towed to Toyota dealer and are awaiting determination as to the repair and if Toyota will cover costs for repair.

- Vestavia, AL, USA

Feb 062014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

ABS brake actuator unit not working properly. Dealer states that it failing. Costs a small fortune to replace.

- San Antonio, TX, USA