Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 11 of 15)

Feb 192014

Camry Hybrid

I was driving at approximately 65mph on the interstate when the vsc warning came on my instrument panel along with the parking brake indicator light, the low tire pressure warning light, the ABS warning light, and the traction control light. I immediately pulled over and did not notice any hesitation in the braking system. Since I was on a trip home, I continued my trip. Throughout the trip I noticed that the braking became more difficult, in that I had to apply more pressure to the brake pedal in order to stop. I took the car to my Toyota dealership where they diagnosed the problem as being a leak in the brake actuator. They quoted me a $3000 cost estimate and informed me that the car is unsafe to drive due to the unpredictable braking. This seems like a problem that many Camry hybrid owners are having. I am fortunate to have arrived home safely!

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Feb 222014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Purchased 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid on 2/19/14. On 2/22/14 I was driving 52 mph on a freeway at 0 grade when check vsc system notification, ABS, brake, master warning and traction control lights all came on. When attempting to brake while exiting the freeway, the brakes did not work adequately when depressed to stop. I had to depress fully to the floor in order to bring the vehicle to a complete stop. It also took over 80 yards to bring the vehicle to a complete stop. I cruised through a red light due to this-I am very fortunate not to have been in an accident or worse, killed. Vehicle is now parked in driveway and is not driven. Toyota needs to address this danger to life.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 222014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Brake light and "check vsc" system illuminated while exiting interstate. Braking force dropped by about 75% as if only rear brakes were functional. Was able to slow eventually and pull over and shut off car. Restarted car after a few minutes and neither brake light nor check vsc came on. Slowly drove car to dealership and am awaiting diagnosis.

- Prattville, AL, USA

Feb 122014

Camry Hybrid

I was on my way to work driving approx 40 miles per hour, all of a sudden my dash says "check vsc system",red brake light turns on, ABS light turns on and low tire pressure light turns on.I immediately check my brakes, I have no brakes! I just kept pumping trying to get anything out of them. I started moving over to my right (nearly side swiped a car) and pulled into a strip mall.after calming down, I drove slowly around the parking lot to see if I had brakes. All of the lights stayed on but my brakes were back, I continued the last mile to work. At this point, as I used the brakes, my rotors felt extremely warped. After researching online if anyone else had had the same problem, I found tons of people having the exact same issue, "C1391". I called my local Toyota dealer, explained the problem and what I thought it might be, he took my VIN# and gave me a quote of $3200 to repair. At that point, I called Toyota corporate offices and filed a complaint, they did some research to see if any of the issue was a recall, of course it wasn't. I told the guy that I guess in order for it to be a recall there needs to be an overwhelming amount of accidents to occur, or people need to die, or a class action lawsuit needs to happen. He took down all of my info, told me I needed to take it to Toyota to be diagnosed and then to call the Toyota"out of warranty assistance department" for possible help with the bill. I took the car to Toyota, it was diagnosed just as all of the other cars I read about were "C1391" internal abnormal leak with the break actuator. Between Toyota corporate office and Toyota they were able to help me out with some of the bill even though the car was no longer under warranty. It wasn't completely covered in the least bit, but it made it a little more manageable.

- Orange, CA, USA

Dec 182012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Brakes went to the floor and I coasted to a stop. I held my foot on the brake pedal to the floor. It was a light rain on a concrete road. The dash board lite up with a warning check vsc system. It only happen that one time. As I drove off after the event, I heard an unfamiliar sound and I cautiously drove home. The brake pedal was working normal again. The dash board warning sign went out as I took my foot off the brake and proceeded forward. Since that one event I have never had another incident. In the usa today on 1/28/14 I read the article about the power-assist brakes in 2007 & 2008 Camry hybrids. After discussing the article with my family (who also have the same vehicle); they reported no such incident. On their advise, I took my car to my Toyota dealer and they were not able to detect or duplicate the same braking event. It was test driven and computer system checked. It's in my car history and the dealer asked me to notify you for reference.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 292013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The first incident, the ABS light came on, I turned off the car and started it again it stayed on and when I got on the road, I had to press the brakes all the way to the floor to get the car to stop. The next time, it did the same thing and after driving a while it will just release and the brakes will be back to normal. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong the first time because the light was off. The next time the light came on I brought it back but by the time they got the car to the back to test, the light was off again and they can't get the computer program to give an error message again. The third time, I brought it in and he came to the lane and tested it and told me it was the brake system accuator, like so many others I have been reading about. Each time this happens I have to push the brakes all the way to the floor to stop, I'm afraid I may be on the highway going a faster speed when it happens and have an accident. At this point, the car has disengaged the air bags so if there is an accident the air bags will not engage, which is another concern. $2200 to repair, nearly 10% of the cost of what I paid for the car. I drive two teenage girls, my daughter and an international student who resides with us and I worry constantly about the brakes failing while we are driving due to this safety issue that I feel like Toyota should fix because of the high rate of failures. I've been saving for the repair but haven't gotten it all yet.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Feb 182014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Check vsc system notification as well as the ABS, breaks, warning and traction control lights all turned on while on the interstate. When brought into the dealer they need to replace the ABS accumulator.

- Estero, FL, USA

Dec 182013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While coming to a stop before exiting a parking lot, the braking system was engaged in a normal fashion only to have the brake system shudder and then experience a loss of automatic brake assist. Many lights on the dashboard, including the 'check vsc' light, illuminated along with a very audible warning sound. The dealership identified the problem as the ABS brake actuator and related parts. The price to fix the issue was right near $3000 for parts and labor.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Sep 132013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving at about 40mph, the brake light and "check vsc system" and "ABS" warning lights all came on simultaneously. The brakes were very stiff and difficult to engage as I tried to stop for a traffic light coming up. I had to literally stand on the brakes to avoid colliding with the car in front of me. It was very scary! I turned around and drove straight home, but all lights went off and the brakes returned to normal. I could not duplicate the problem and we dismissed it as a fluke. Then it happened a week later. This time the warning lights were on when I started the car at home. The brakes then reengaged while I was backing out of my driveway. As I put the car in reverse, I heard a loud bang/thunk. I thought I hit something but there was nothing there when I got out to look. That's when I noticed all warning lights had gone out and my brakes were normal again. I took my car to Liberty Toyota in Colorado springs where they ran a diagnostic and said I needed a new brake switch, which cost me $180. Three weeks later the same problem was back with the warning lights coming on intermittently. I learned to drive with manual brakes for a few weeks and to just go much slower because I needed my car. I noticed the same loud clunking sound any time the brakes would reengage (usually when I was idling or going very slowly, getting ready to accelerate) and the warning lights would go out. I took my car back to Toyota yesterday and now they tell me that it's probably the actuator, which will cost me about $3,000! plus my "check hybrid system" warning light came on and they said that one cell in my battery is bad. I need a new battery, which runs $4,000! what a headache!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 112013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

All sensor lights came on with "check vsc system" message. Brakes felt mushy and it was harder to stop. Took into dealership next day but lights had turned off. Dealership scanned for computer codes but found nothing. Everything fine. 6 weeks later on 300 mile trip, same thing occurred. I had no choice but to continue on trip and return home a week later. Took into dealership. Now they state that there is an internal leak in the ABS actuator and want $3,189 to fix. Read where this part has been redesigned due to an engineering flaw in original part and where many other owners of this model have experienced same problem. The repair cost is outrageous. This makes my car dangerous to drive, but I cannot afford the fix.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Feb 172014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated while traveling approximately 5 mph on an icy road, the ABS activated independently and the entire instrument panel illuminated. In addition, a chime sounded and a burning odor emitted inside the vehicle. The vehicle was maneuvered to a safe location where the engine was turned off. The vehicle was then towed to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician informed the contact that the ABS actuator would need to be replaced when the required part became available. The vehicle was scheduled for repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Minnetonka, MN, USA

Feb 162014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When driving around 45mph, all the brake lights, ABS came on. When checked with Toyota dealer, they mentioned that we need to replace brake actuator. It costs about $3000. Based on internet research, it looks like 2007 Camry hybrid have a possible defect. Looks like similar part was recalled recently with prius make, I would like to know why Toyota is not recalling the other makes. It seems to be wide spread problem with 2007 Camry hybrid.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jan 262014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I filled up with gas. When I started up, my right front brake was locked on. The mechanic replaced the ABS control unit. Cost for the part $2525.56. I thank heaven it did not happen at highway speed.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 112014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While slowing down for a stop light speed was around 45 mph I experienced a sudden drop in brake pressure causing me to apply hard pressure in order to keep from hitting the vehicle in front of me stopping but inches from the other vehicles bumper. When the loss of brake pressure was happening I also noticed multiple lights came on and after the stop on the display there was a check vsc system message that will not extinguish. This morning it is still in the same condition. I called the service center and they told me a diagnostic check would be around $105 dollars. I have since done research and have seen multiple issues with this and the cost of repair(upwards of 3,000) is ridicules. If this is a manufactures defect and know problem Toyota needs to do the right thing and fix the issue before someone has a major accident. This item ABS actuator needs to be looked at as the culprit. I need my car to get to work but who can afford $3,000 at the drop of a hat and do I want to risk my life.

- Cocoa, FL, USA

Apr 242012

Camry Hybrid

For the record / now repaired: Persistent but sporadic delayed braking including noise and "check vsc system" warning light. Finally replaced ABS assembly and brake master reservoir under extended warranty ($2285.70). Problem existed for over 6 months prior to resolution. Multiple keys Toyota, hamer Toyota and independent auto repair inspections prior plus complaints to regional Toyota service/complaint center. Most of above documented with pictures of warning light. Initially told no action could be taken unless problem could be duplicated at time of inspection. Pictures of warning light were discounted. I presented internet complaints of same issue by others but disregarded as evidence by Toyota.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Feb 032014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While drive I hear a intermittent beep and when applying brakes either does not brake, brake pedal gets stuck and cannot brake or suddenly brakes also increased brake pedal effort I had to use the emergency brakes in order to brake at all times because the brakes not works, I got all warning lights on with check vsc system I went to a Toyota dealership to check the issue and they told me that the brake actuator pump does not work now in order to fix it I have to pay almost 3500 to replace that part that's robbery from Toyota I see from different forums that part breaks on Toyota hybrids easily and still Toyota does not want to recall that part and I know Toyota change the part address the issue but still no recall on ours cars and to pay 3500 for manufacture defect is outrageous.

- Manati, PR, USA

Dec 112013

Camry Hybrid

Vac system lights all came on and when I tried to brake the pedal went to the floor and I had trouble stopping. I almost hit the car in front of me. This is an intermittent problem. I have it in shop now but the engine codes show nothing so far. The mechanic I took it to suspects the accumulator.

- Calimesa, CA, USA

Dec 092013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The power brakes seem to stop working when the vehicle goes over bumps while braking.

- Trenton, ME, USA

Apr 122012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Brakes fail when the "check vsc system" warning comes on along with other lights for tire pressure and brake light. At first the problem was intermittent and the brakes would work when the lights went out, but now the lights are on all of the time and the brakes work like manual brakes at times. The ABS system does not work so driving on wet roads is dangerous. I feel there is a direct danger to my life and the public's safety when this vehicle is on the road. Unfortunately, I do not have another vehicle that I can drive at the moment.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Jan 202014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Approximately 3 weeks ago the "check vsc system" warning came on in our 2007 Camry hybrid. We noticed no affect to the driving of the car, and since the owners manual said almost nothing about this warning (simply said to take it to dealer), we drove the car as usual. We then had an incident where, approaching a stop sign, the brakes failed to work at first: I had to pump the brakes 3+ times in order to make them engage. We then took it to a Toyota dealership to have a diagnosis. After spending $116 on a diagnostic (only way they would tell us the root cause) we learned that there is an actuator failure which has a repair cost of over $3000. Upon receiving this information we investigated the vsc issue online and discovered that this is a very common problem for Camry hybrids. Our Camry is a little over 5 years old and only has 57,950 miles. It is absolutely unacceptable that we should have to replace this very expensive part on a car with this few miles. Given the high frequency of complaints regarding the vsc failure it is our opinion Toyota should take the blame for their faulty part and cover the cost of the repair.

- Austin, TX, USA