Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 12 of 15)

Dec 192013

Camry Hybrid

I was driving our family car and all of a sudden the ABS light came on along with the brake light and others. Car was difficult to stop. My husband told me to shut off the car and restart. That temporarily solved the problem but it then happened again 2 days later. It is not safe to drive!

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Apr 122013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The vehicle's warning lights came on and the warning "check vsc system" came on. The brakes discontinued working properly and had to be pressed very hard to make the vehicle stop. Now, the lights stay on and two different Toyota dealerships have written that the brake actuator system is faulty and needs to be replaced at cost of $3,000. In checking further, I found that other Toyota Camry hybrid owners of the same vehicle and year (2007) have had the same problem and that the NHTSA is investigating according to an los angeles times article published January 27, 2014. I would like to add my name to the list of complainants. I have contacted Toyota and they are not taking responsibility for repairing this part when it is obviously a vehicle defect affecting possibly 30,000 Camry hybrids.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Dec 192013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While braking the car to a complete stop, it was felt that the braking was intermittent. When this happened small kick were sensed on the brake pedal. This has continued multiple times since. This vehicle had the ABS already replaced when it was about 97K miles.

- Santa Isabel, Pr, PR, USA

Jan 302014

Camry Hybrid

Intermittent lose of power brake.

- Horsham, PA, USA

Jan 122014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid with ~64K miles on it. On 12-Jan-2014, as I was approaching a stoplight, I stepped on the brake pedal and it was like nothing happened. The regenerative braking engaged, but the physical brakes did not. I was unable to stop the car before striking the SUV ahead of me. No one was injured. However damage to my vehicle was over $3K. Two days later (14-Jan-2014) I experienced the same loss of braking, fortunately without accident or injury.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Oct 242013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While I was driving my check vsc light came on as well as many other brake lights on the instrument panel. I felt as though I had less control of the car at the time and my brakes would not work until I pressed them with severe force. After the first incident the lights would come on and off sporadically, each time we would lose the effectiveness of the brakes. In November the light came on as we were driving at speeds of about 65mph and has stayed on since. We have replaced the computer as well as the brake reservoir with no results. Our car has been in and out of the Toyota dealership and they cannot seem to fix the problem.

- Minden, NV, USA

Sep 142007

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving all of a sudden multiple warning lights appeared and brake and stability controls were disabled. Very difficult to stop. This happened before when car was new in 2007. Took it to dealer and could not replicate. They told me if it happens again to shut off the car and then restart. That works but when it happens while driving, car is difficult to control. I have since had this happen recently 4 times in Dec 2013.

- Venice, FL, USA

Oct 112013

Camry Hybrid

Parking brake light came on first, all of the sudden all the lights on the dashboard came on. When I tried to brake to pull over, the brakes would not work. I had to push in on the brakes even harder. When I turned off the car, started it back up all lights were off. The car brakes were working once more. Took the car to temecula dealership. Dealership said nothing was wrong, charged $1,500 for maintenance. Two months later, after driving my car through the mountains every weekend, the brakes repeat the previous incident. The brakes would not work as I was approaching an intersection. The dealership stated there never was a problem with the brakes before the December incident. I spoke with the manager of the dealership regarding both incidents to no avail. Unfortunately, the Toyota people had no regard for my safety. I was allowed to drive the car for two months after I took the car in for repairs. On December 11, 2013 the brake problem was discover. We would be charge $3,000 dollars for brake repairs. We would have to have pay a total of $4,500. I have been a Toyota customer for thirty years. I will never buy Toyota again. Total disregard for customer safety, it's all about $$$.

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Sep 272012

Camry Hybrid

The brakes failed due to a bad actuator pump. I was lucky I did not get in an accident. I had it towed to the killeen Toyota dealer and had it repaired/replaced for approximately $2000.

- Lampasas, TX, USA

Oct 012008

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The posted date and miles of first incident is just a approximate figure but the dealership should have recorded the exact date and miles. A noise from under my hood was getting louder so I took it to the dealer and was told the noise was normal. A year or two later after taking it to different dealers for same issue my check vsc light came on while driving and my brakes failed. After the second failure during the week I took it to another Toyota dealer and they said it was normal and safe. It was not. To date I haven't had the vsc error message occur but my brakes when reversing from park or when starting from a hill will initially lose braking power and roll a few inches before the brakes start working. Is this really normal or safe? I don't want to believe what the dealership tells me anymore. Please help.

- Aliso Viejo , CA, USA

Jul 012012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Camry hybrid. In July of 2012, the brake actuator broke in my car resulting in damage to my car. The brakes lost "power" and then would go in and out at will. I then spent $1,200 on a 3rd party company to replace this part, only to have it go out again in 6 months. The brakes function at will, and I have been quoted upwards of $3,000 by Toyota to fix. I have been told that to have this fixed properly, it needs to be fixed by Toyota as they have since fixed the part in question. I have never been notified of a recall concerning this issue, and Toyota is very reluctant to drop price at all to help me fix, even considering this is the 2nd time to fix it, let alone pay for the damage to my car because of this part. Insurance would not fix car because they considered damage was from a known issue. I have also been advised not to purchase used parts to replace as they will also fail, unless I pay $$$ to Toyota for there corrected part to fix. As of today my brakes are still not fixed, and burning though brake pads in little as 2 months as a consequence.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jan 302014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Slowing down exit ramp from brakes pedal to the floor had to downshift and use parking brake to stop..dashboard lights brake light lit..this is the third time this has happened and dealer says to replace nitrogen booster for $2500 but it happen when the weather is less than 45 degrees twice in Florida once in pa.

- Weston, FL, USA

Jan 062014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving at a low rate of speed the brake light on my dashboard came on and a warning 'check vsc' along with other lights on my dashboard all came on and the brakes no longer worked as usual. I had to apply considerable pressure to the brake pedal and was able to coast on to a side street. The lights on my dashboard all went off and the car then functioned as normal. I drove to the store I was going to went in for about 15 minutes then returned to my vehicle. As I was backing out of my parking spot the same issue as stated above happened again. I drove the car straight to price leblanc Toyota, my dealership. Without turning the ignition off I handed the car over to the service department. They were unable to find a code from the car that would tell them what the issue was. They kept the car for 3 days and were unable to recreate the problem.

- Brusly, LA, USA

Aug 252010

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The vehicle experiences a brief loss of braking, particularly when braking system is being applied between two different road surfaces (smooth textured to an abrupt change such as a bump in the asphalt).

- Newport, NC, USA

Jan 012013

Camry Hybrid

My wife and I were driving in our car when all of a sudden the svc warning light came on and our brakes became much less responsive. We stopped the car. Turned it on and off and then the warning light turned off. Over time the svc warning light and brake malfunction became more frequent and then finally became permanent. We were quoted from Toyota about $3000 to fix the part. We ended up buying the part offline and having our mechanic install it.

- Hollywood , FL, USA

Dec 262013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When readying to stop, lifted foot from accelerator and reached for brake. When pressure applied, brake pedal dropped 1 - 2 inches before brakes took hold. This was the fourth or fifth time that this type of braking response occurred over the life of the car. I took delivery of the car in June 2006.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Jan 222014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The check vsc light came on in December. The dealer could not find anything wrong. The warning light came on again on 1/21/14. The dealer said that the brake accumulator was defective and could result in a failure of the ABS. It was replaced at a cost of more than $3000. I am a careful driver and have never had the ABS engage on this car, so something is not right when such a key (and expensive) part fails. This should be recalled.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 222014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The brake accumulator cycles continuously and pulses when depressed making a distinct howling noise even when stopped. The brake assist intermittently pulses and makes braking more difficult and increasing stopping distance. This part is specific to the regenerative braking as part of the hybrid system.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Jun 132013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 camera hybrid. The contact stated while driving 30 mph the brakes were applied and they malfunctioned. The brake lights illuminated but the brakes was slow to apply. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic test but did not find any defect codes. The dealer replaced the rear brake but that did not remedy the braking defect. The failure mileage was 73,305. Updated 03/05/14

- Orange, CA, USA

Dec 202013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When I went to start my car which was still in my garage, I pressed my foot on the brake and pushed the "on" button. Immediately I felt the brake "push back" and had to pump it once or twice to bring it back to normal. Over the course of the next six weeks, this would occasionally happen again. In addition, and more troubling, was that sometimes, when I was parked in a parking lot, and then started the car, something slightly different happened. When I pressed on the brake and started the car, instead of feeling resistance it seemed that the brake was going all the way to the floor but my car was slowly rolling backwards. After pumping the brake a couple of times, it reverted to normal. Finally, on 1/22/2014, the "check vsc system" warning suddenly came on as I was driving, as well as the antilock brake light, the regular brake light, the engine light, and the triangular hybrid warning light. The car was driving okay, but the lights all remained on until I brought my car into the dealer a few days later. The service department informed me that my brake accumulator had blown a fuse and had to be replaced. They stated they had no knowledge of this type of problem occurring in the Camry hybrids. I paid $3400 to have the accumulator replaced. The next morning I read a news blurb in the newspaper about the investigation into the early Camry hybrid models' brake problems and researched it further and ended up at this NHTSA site. My concern is that even though my accumulator has been replaced, has the root of the problem been addressed, or do I have to worry about the same thing happening again? I feel that this is a dangerous defect that could cause accidents, and I feel lucky that I had my problem addressed before anything more harmful occurred.

- Sarasota, FL, USA