CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 12 of 16)

Feb 032014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While drive I hear a intermittent beep and when applying brakes either does not brake, brake pedal gets stuck and cannot brake or suddenly brakes also increased brake pedal effort I had to use the emergency brakes in order to brake at all times because the brakes not works, I got all warning lights on with check vsc system I went to a Toyota dealership to check the issue and they told me that the brake actuator pump does not work now in order to fix it I have to pay almost 3500 to replace that part that's robbery from Toyota I see from different forums that part breaks on Toyota hybrids easily and still Toyota does not want to recall that part and I know Toyota change the part address the issue but still no recall on ours cars and to pay 3500 for manufacture defect is outrageous.

- Manati, PR, USA

Dec 112013

Camry Hybrid

Vac system lights all came on and when I tried to brake the pedal went to the floor and I had trouble stopping. I almost hit the car in front of me. This is an intermittent problem. I have it in shop now but the engine codes show nothing so far. The mechanic I took it to suspects the accumulator.

- Calimesa, CA, USA

Dec 092013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The power brakes seem to stop working when the vehicle goes over bumps while braking.

- Trenton, ME, USA

Apr 122012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Brakes fail when the "check vsc system" warning comes on along with other lights for tire pressure and brake light. At first the problem was intermittent and the brakes would work when the lights went out, but now the lights are on all of the time and the brakes work like manual brakes at times. The ABS system does not work so driving on wet roads is dangerous. I feel there is a direct danger to my life and the public's safety when this vehicle is on the road. Unfortunately, I do not have another vehicle that I can drive at the moment.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Jan 202014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Approximately 3 weeks ago the "check vsc system" warning came on in our 2007 Camry hybrid. We noticed no affect to the driving of the car, and since the owners manual said almost nothing about this warning (simply said to take it to dealer), we drove the car as usual. We then had an incident where, approaching a stop sign, the brakes failed to work at first: I had to pump the brakes 3+ times in order to make them engage. We then took it to a Toyota dealership to have a diagnosis. After spending $116 on a diagnostic (only way they would tell us the root cause) we learned that there is an actuator failure which has a repair cost of over $3000. Upon receiving this information we investigated the vsc issue online and discovered that this is a very common problem for Camry hybrids. Our Camry is a little over 5 years old and only has 57,950 miles. It is absolutely unacceptable that we should have to replace this very expensive part on a car with this few miles. Given the high frequency of complaints regarding the vsc failure it is our opinion Toyota should take the blame for their faulty part and cover the cost of the repair.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 192013

Camry Hybrid

I was driving our family car and all of a sudden the ABS light came on along with the brake light and others. Car was difficult to stop. My husband told me to shut off the car and restart. That temporarily solved the problem but it then happened again 2 days later. It is not safe to drive!

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Apr 122013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The vehicle's warning lights came on and the warning "check vsc system" came on. The brakes discontinued working properly and had to be pressed very hard to make the vehicle stop. Now, the lights stay on and two different Toyota dealerships have written that the brake actuator system is faulty and needs to be replaced at cost of $3,000. In checking further, I found that other Toyota Camry hybrid owners of the same vehicle and year (2007) have had the same problem and that the NHTSA is investigating according to an los angeles times article published January 27, 2014. I would like to add my name to the list of complainants. I have contacted Toyota and they are not taking responsibility for repairing this part when it is obviously a vehicle defect affecting possibly 30,000 Camry hybrids.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Dec 192013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While braking the car to a complete stop, it was felt that the braking was intermittent. When this happened small kick were sensed on the brake pedal. This has continued multiple times since. This vehicle had the ABS already replaced when it was about 97K miles.

- Santa Isabel, Pr, PR, USA

Jan 302014

Camry Hybrid

Intermittent lose of power brake.

- Horsham, PA, USA

Jan 122014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid with ~64K miles on it. On 12-Jan-2014, as I was approaching a stoplight, I stepped on the brake pedal and it was like nothing happened. The regenerative braking engaged, but the physical brakes did not. I was unable to stop the car before striking the SUV ahead of me. No one was injured. However damage to my vehicle was over $3K. Two days later (14-Jan-2014) I experienced the same loss of braking, fortunately without accident or injury.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Oct 242013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While I was driving my check vsc light came on as well as many other brake lights on the instrument panel. I felt as though I had less control of the car at the time and my brakes would not work until I pressed them with severe force. After the first incident the lights would come on and off sporadically, each time we would lose the effectiveness of the brakes. In November the light came on as we were driving at speeds of about 65mph and has stayed on since. We have replaced the computer as well as the brake reservoir with no results. Our car has been in and out of the Toyota dealership and they cannot seem to fix the problem.

- Minden, NV, USA

Sep 142007

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving all of a sudden multiple warning lights appeared and brake and stability controls were disabled. Very difficult to stop. This happened before when car was new in 2007. Took it to dealer and could not replicate. They told me if it happens again to shut off the car and then restart. That works but when it happens while driving, car is difficult to control. I have since had this happen recently 4 times in Dec 2013.

- Venice, FL, USA

Oct 112013

Camry Hybrid

Parking brake light came on first, all of the sudden all the lights on the dashboard came on. When I tried to brake to pull over, the brakes would not work. I had to push in on the brakes even harder. When I turned off the car, started it back up all lights were off. The car brakes were working once more. Took the car to temecula dealership. Dealership said nothing was wrong, charged $1,500 for maintenance. Two months later, after driving my car through the mountains every weekend, the brakes repeat the previous incident. The brakes would not work as I was approaching an intersection. The dealership stated there never was a problem with the brakes before the December incident. I spoke with the manager of the dealership regarding both incidents to no avail. Unfortunately, the Toyota people had no regard for my safety. I was allowed to drive the car for two months after I took the car in for repairs. On December 11, 2013 the brake problem was discover. We would be charge $3,000 dollars for brake repairs. We would have to have pay a total of $4,500. I have been a Toyota customer for thirty years. I will never buy Toyota again. Total disregard for customer safety, it's all about $$$.

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Sep 272012

Camry Hybrid

The brakes failed due to a bad actuator pump. I was lucky I did not get in an accident. I had it towed to the killeen Toyota dealer and had it repaired/replaced for approximately $2000.

- Lampasas, TX, USA

Oct 012008

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The posted date and miles of first incident is just a approximate figure but the dealership should have recorded the exact date and miles. A noise from under my hood was getting louder so I took it to the dealer and was told the noise was normal. A year or two later after taking it to different dealers for same issue my check vsc light came on while driving and my brakes failed. After the second failure during the week I took it to another Toyota dealer and they said it was normal and safe. It was not. To date I haven't had the vsc error message occur but my brakes when reversing from park or when starting from a hill will initially lose braking power and roll a few inches before the brakes start working. Is this really normal or safe? I don't want to believe what the dealership tells me anymore. Please help.

- Aliso Viejo , CA, USA

Jul 012012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Camry hybrid. In July of 2012, the brake actuator broke in my car resulting in damage to my car. The brakes lost "power" and then would go in and out at will. I then spent $1,200 on a 3rd party company to replace this part, only to have it go out again in 6 months. The brakes function at will, and I have been quoted upwards of $3,000 by Toyota to fix. I have been told that to have this fixed properly, it needs to be fixed by Toyota as they have since fixed the part in question. I have never been notified of a recall concerning this issue, and Toyota is very reluctant to drop price at all to help me fix, even considering this is the 2nd time to fix it, let alone pay for the damage to my car because of this part. Insurance would not fix car because they considered damage was from a known issue. I have also been advised not to purchase used parts to replace as they will also fail, unless I pay $$$ to Toyota for there corrected part to fix. As of today my brakes are still not fixed, and burning though brake pads in little as 2 months as a consequence.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jan 302014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Slowing down exit ramp from highway..no brakes pedal to the floor had to downshift and use parking brake to stop..dashboard lights brake light lit..this is the third time this has happened and dealer says to replace nitrogen booster for $2500 but it happen when the weather is less than 45 degrees twice in Florida once in pa.

- Weston, FL, USA

Jan 062014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving at a low rate of speed the brake light on my dashboard came on and a warning 'check vsc' along with other lights on my dashboard all came on and the brakes no longer worked as usual. I had to apply considerable pressure to the brake pedal and was able to coast on to a side street. The lights on my dashboard all went off and the car then functioned as normal. I drove to the store I was going to went in for about 15 minutes then returned to my vehicle. As I was backing out of my parking spot the same issue as stated above happened again. I drove the car straight to price leblanc Toyota, my dealership. Without turning the ignition off I handed the car over to the service department. They were unable to find a code from the car that would tell them what the issue was. They kept the car for 3 days and were unable to recreate the problem.

- Brusly, LA, USA

Aug 252010

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The vehicle experiences a brief loss of braking, particularly when braking system is being applied between two different road surfaces (smooth textured to an abrupt change such as a bump in the asphalt).

- Newport, NC, USA

Jan 012013

Camry Hybrid

My wife and I were driving in our car when all of a sudden the svc warning light came on and our brakes became much less responsive. We stopped the car. Turned it on and off and then the warning light turned off. Over time the svc warning light and brake malfunction became more frequent and then finally became permanent. We were quoted from Toyota about $3000 to fix the part. We ended up buying the part offline and having our mechanic install it.

- Hollywood , FL, USA