CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 13 of 16)

Jan 302014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Slowing down exit ramp from highway..no brakes pedal to the floor had to downshift and use parking brake to stop..dashboard lights brake light lit..this is the third time this has happened and dealer says to replace nitrogen booster for $2500 but it happen when the weather is less than 45 degrees twice in Florida once in pa.

- Weston, FL, USA

Jan 062014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving at a low rate of speed the brake light on my dashboard came on and a warning 'check vsc' along with other lights on my dashboard all came on and the brakes no longer worked as usual. I had to apply considerable pressure to the brake pedal and was able to coast on to a side street. The lights on my dashboard all went off and the car then functioned as normal. I drove to the store I was going to went in for about 15 minutes then returned to my vehicle. As I was backing out of my parking spot the same issue as stated above happened again. I drove the car straight to price leblanc Toyota, my dealership. Without turning the ignition off I handed the car over to the service department. They were unable to find a code from the car that would tell them what the issue was. They kept the car for 3 days and were unable to recreate the problem.

- Brusly, LA, USA

Aug 252010

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The vehicle experiences a brief loss of braking, particularly when braking system is being applied between two different road surfaces (smooth textured to an abrupt change such as a bump in the asphalt).

- Newport, NC, USA

Jan 012013

Camry Hybrid

My wife and I were driving in our car when all of a sudden the svc warning light came on and our brakes became much less responsive. We stopped the car. Turned it on and off and then the warning light turned off. Over time the svc warning light and brake malfunction became more frequent and then finally became permanent. We were quoted from Toyota about $3000 to fix the part. We ended up buying the part offline and having our mechanic install it.

- Hollywood , FL, USA

Dec 262013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When readying to stop, lifted foot from accelerator and reached for brake. When pressure applied, brake pedal dropped 1 - 2 inches before brakes took hold. This was the fourth or fifth time that this type of braking response occurred over the life of the car. I took delivery of the car in June 2006.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Jan 222014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The check vsc light came on in December. The dealer could not find anything wrong. The warning light came on again on 1/21/14. The dealer said that the brake accumulator was defective and could result in a failure of the ABS. It was replaced at a cost of more than $3000. I am a careful driver and have never had the ABS engage on this car, so something is not right when such a key (and expensive) part fails. This should be recalled.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 222014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The brake accumulator cycles continuously and pulses when depressed making a distinct howling noise even when stopped. The brake assist intermittently pulses and makes braking more difficult and increasing stopping distance. This part is specific to the regenerative braking as part of the hybrid system.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Jun 132013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 camera hybrid. The contact stated while driving 30 mph the brakes were applied and they malfunctioned. The brake lights illuminated but the brakes was slow to apply. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic test but did not find any defect codes. The dealer replaced the rear brake but that did not remedy the braking defect. The failure mileage was 73,305. Updated 03/05/14

- Orange, CA, USA

Dec 202013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When I went to start my car which was still in my garage, I pressed my foot on the brake and pushed the "on" button. Immediately I felt the brake "push back" and had to pump it once or twice to bring it back to normal. Over the course of the next six weeks, this would occasionally happen again. In addition, and more troubling, was that sometimes, when I was parked in a parking lot, and then started the car, something slightly different happened. When I pressed on the brake and started the car, instead of feeling resistance it seemed that the brake was going all the way to the floor but my car was slowly rolling backwards. After pumping the brake a couple of times, it reverted to normal. Finally, on 1/22/2014, the "check vsc system" warning suddenly came on as I was driving, as well as the antilock brake light, the regular brake light, the engine light, and the triangular hybrid warning light. The car was driving okay, but the lights all remained on until I brought my car into the dealer a few days later. The service department informed me that my brake accumulator had blown a fuse and had to be replaced. They stated they had no knowledge of this type of problem occurring in the Camry hybrids. I paid $3400 to have the accumulator replaced. The next morning I read a news blurb in the newspaper about the investigation into the early Camry hybrid models' brake problems and researched it further and ended up at this NHTSA site. My concern is that even though my accumulator has been replaced, has the root of the problem been addressed, or do I have to worry about the same thing happening again? I feel that this is a dangerous defect that could cause accidents, and I feel lucky that I had my problem addressed before anything more harmful occurred.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Dec 032012

Camry Hybrid

My 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid began to consistently make noises as I depressed the brake pedal (with the vehicle in the stopped position) for a few months before the vsc system failed. Luckily, the failure occurred as I was backing out of the driveway and was able to stop. I had the vehicle towed to the dealer and proceeded to pay $2200 to have the ABS actuator replaced. I have another 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid with just over 60,000 miles and it is beginning to make the same brake noise as the other vehicle. The dealer has said it is not a problem. I can only hope that when the brakes go out again I will not be traveling at a high rate of speed, or negotiating the mountain roads I use to commute daily. I heard yesterday on the news that this problem is being investigated. I hope they recall this vehicle soon and have this repaired before anyone is killed or injured.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jan 252014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving down the road and noticed the brakes did not feel right. It was much harder to press the brake pedal than normal approaching a stop sign. When stopped, there was a strange pulsing sensation coming from the pedal. I kept driving and the problem continued, but seemed to get worse as I drove more. At one point, there were lights and warnings going off, so I eventually pulled over on the side of the road and let the car site for a while. After turning the car off and on a few times, everything appeared to be back in working order. However, since the first incident, the issue has occurred a few more times. The car is not safe to drive; it will definitely cause an accident or worse unless something is fixed. I contacted the local Toyota dealership and they told me it was the brake actuator - and it will cost $2K-$3K!!! I was told by a service tech that they see this issue all the time and there is a new part that replaces the original one - with a different part number... so obviously Toyota knows there is an issue with the original part. With such an important piece of the car (brakes), they should step up and make it right. I'm pretty disappointed in Toyota for this situation and don't feel comfortable driving the car with me or my family.

- Farmington, AR, USA

Nov 222013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving the car as usually and first the turn on the vss light and when a I try to stop the car and didnt stop properly and I almost crash the car a went to the side of the road for try to save my life and the other car driver from that day until now I have the problem with tha car at the of break.the dealership employee said thats a problem of every Camry hybrid and I need to chage the ABS system but cost $3400 plus the instalation and I just want if everithing is ok with my car or is a manufactor problem.

- Moca, PR, USA

Nov 122013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The parking brake light comes on while driving, about a minute later the check vsc light comes on and the power brakes fail, you can still stop with the brake, but you have to really press hard on the brake, after driving a couple miles or a few minutes the brakes will return to normal. Very disconcerting and dangerous, afraid to drive this car.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Nov 072013

Camry Hybrid

Brakes fail... the pedal brake is put so hard to push when coming a light to vsc check system...im so angry to Toyota... but I still love my car... I no use my car because is not secure for my family.

- Moca, PR, USA

Jul 112011

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The ABS actuator failed and it was difficult to put the brakes. It cost me $2,400 in 2011. A few month ago the new part once again failed. I bought a used part and paid $1,100. Toyota wanted me to pay $4,000.

- Guaynabo, PR, USA

Nov 142013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 45 mph, the brakes failed to respond to deceleration attempts. The contact also mentioned that the vsc warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the brake actuator had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 74,000.

- Lavista, NE, USA

Aug 062012

Camry Hybrid

When applying the brake to reduce speed on one occasion the brake failed to slow the vehicle down. Was only driving about 20 mph at the time. The brake began to function only after releasing the brake pedal and re-apply force. As stated above this has only occurred once.

- New Hope, MN, USA

Nov 062013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, all of the warnings lights illuminated and the contact had to use extreme force on the brake in order for them to engage. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 88,000.

- Redding, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the brakes made a loud, strange noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the entire brake assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available....updated 03/07/14

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

Jan 092014

Camry Hybrid

Was driving about 40 mph when all of a sudden the "check vsc system" lit up as well as the brake, and multiple others lights came on. My first instinct was to hit the brakes, which went all the way to the floor. I had to cross over 3 lanes of traffic in order to try to get to a side road. This has happened several times since then. The first incident, I called performance Toyota in memphis, tenn. I slowly drove it there. They drove it for 20 miles, charged me $126, and told me nothing was wrong, and that I must have hit a bump causing the 3 of the tires to spin. I don't recall hitting any bumps.they checked my brakes, which were replaced less than a year ago, and said they were in great shape and I was safe taking it on the road. Told them I was suppose to go out of town the next day. The second time it happened, @ 1 week later, my husband was driving it. I called performance Toyota to report it and was told to bring it in when all the lights are lit up. I am too scared to drive this car!

- Olive Branch, MS, USA