Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 13 of 15)

Dec 032012

Camry Hybrid

My 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid began to consistently make noises as I depressed the brake pedal (with the vehicle in the stopped position) for a few months before the vsc system failed. Luckily, the failure occurred as I was backing out of the driveway and was able to stop. I had the vehicle towed to the dealer and proceeded to pay $2200 to have the ABS actuator replaced. I have another 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid with just over 60,000 miles and it is beginning to make the same brake noise as the other vehicle. The dealer has said it is not a problem. I can only hope that when the brakes go out again I will not be traveling at a high rate of speed, or negotiating the mountain roads I use to commute daily. I heard yesterday on the news that this problem is being investigated. I hope they recall this vehicle soon and have this repaired before anyone is killed or injured.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jan 252014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving down the road and noticed the brakes did not feel right. It was much harder to press the brake pedal than normal approaching a stop sign. When stopped, there was a strange pulsing sensation coming from the pedal. I kept driving and the problem continued, but seemed to get worse as I drove more. At one point, there were lights and warnings going off, so I eventually pulled over on the side of the road and let the car site for a while. After turning the car off and on a few times, everything appeared to be back in working order. However, since the first incident, the issue has occurred a few more times. The car is not safe to drive; it will definitely cause an accident or worse unless something is fixed. I contacted the local Toyota dealership and they told me it was the brake actuator - and it will cost $2K-$3K!!! I was told by a service tech that they see this issue all the time and there is a new part that replaces the original one - with a different part number... so obviously Toyota knows there is an issue with the original part. With such an important piece of the car (brakes), they should step up and make it right. I'm pretty disappointed in Toyota for this situation and don't feel comfortable driving the car with me or my family.

- Farmington, AR, USA

Nov 222013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving the car as usually and first the turn on the vss light and when a I try to stop the car and didnt stop properly and I almost crash the car a went to the side of the road for try to save my life and the other car driver from that day until now I have the problem with tha car at the of break.the dealership employee said thats a problem of every Camry hybrid and I need to chage the ABS system but cost $3400 plus the instalation and I just want if everithing is ok with my car or is a manufactor problem.

- Moca, PR, USA

Nov 122013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The parking brake light comes on while driving, about a minute later the check vsc light comes on and the power brakes fail, you can still stop with the brake, but you have to really press hard on the brake, after driving a couple miles or a few minutes the brakes will return to normal. Very disconcerting and dangerous, afraid to drive this car.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Nov 072013

Camry Hybrid

Brakes fail... the pedal brake is put so hard to push when coming a light to vsc check so angry to Toyota... but I still love my car... I no use my car because is not secure for my family.

- Moca, PR, USA

Jul 112011

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The ABS actuator failed and it was difficult to put the brakes. It cost me $2,400 in 2011. A few month ago the new part once again failed. I bought a used part and paid $1,100. Toyota wanted me to pay $4,000.

- Guaynabo, PR, USA

Nov 142013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 45 mph, the brakes failed to respond to deceleration attempts. The contact also mentioned that the vsc warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the brake actuator had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 74,000.

- Lavista, NE, USA

Aug 062012

Camry Hybrid

When applying the brake to reduce speed on one occasion the brake failed to slow the vehicle down. Was only driving about 20 mph at the time. The brake began to function only after releasing the brake pedal and re-apply force. As stated above this has only occurred once.

- New Hope, MN, USA

Nov 062013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, all of the warnings lights illuminated and the contact had to use extreme force on the brake in order for them to engage. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 88,000.

- Redding, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the brakes made a loud, strange noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the entire brake assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available....updated 03/07/14

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

Jan 092014

Camry Hybrid

Was driving about 40 mph when all of a sudden the "check vsc system" lit up as well as the brake, and multiple others lights came on. My first instinct was to hit the brakes, which went all the way to the floor. I had to cross over 3 lanes of traffic in order to try to get to a side road. This has happened several times since then. The first incident, I called performance Toyota in memphis, tenn. I slowly drove it there. They drove it for 20 miles, charged me $126, and told me nothing was wrong, and that I must have hit a bump causing the 3 of the tires to spin. I don't recall hitting any bumps.they checked my brakes, which were replaced less than a year ago, and said they were in great shape and I was safe taking it on the road. Told them I was suppose to go out of town the next day. The second time it happened, @ 1 week later, my husband was driving it. I called performance Toyota to report it and was told to bring it in when all the lights are lit up. I am too scared to drive this car!

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Jan 032014

Camry Hybrid

I found that when I applied my brakes they did not engage immediately and when they did they switched from off to on rapidly (under constant and/or increasing brake pedal pressure). This was 3 days after my warranty expired. I had the system serviced and it cost me $2,000. I searched the internet and found that it seemed like a common problem. I contacted Toyota and they denied that it was a common problem and did nothing to help me. Come to find out that it is a very common and dangerous problem. I would like some help.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jan 152014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

There was a failure of the brake actuator which caused the brakes to lock up and various indicators of failure to register. Fortunately I noticed the problem while backing out of my garage and so there was no accident. The brake system warning light and the vehicle stability control both lit up. It cost more than $3000 to repair the vehicle.

- Mendota Heights, MN, USA

Jan 272014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving to work on 1/27/14 my brake, ABS, check vsc and red warning lights turned on. It was almost impossible to brake. I had to pull off and turn the vehicle off and hope the issue would resolve it. After a few times it finally did. I have taken it to the dealer in the past and it was diagnosed as my ABS actuator having a leak and it was replaced. There still appears to be an issue. Additionally when braking at any point in time, there is a stutter when under 5 mph, which I was told was due to this same issue which still hasn't been resolved.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 052013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving my car by myself to home depot in la habra. The dashboard lights came on (I don't recall if there was an audible sound or not) saying there was a problem with the vsb brake system and I should get it checked out. Because the warning scared me, I tapped on my brakes to slow down so I could figure out what it meant and what I should do. But my brakes didn't respond. I pushed on my brakes and realized it wasn't slowing my car down. I pulled into the center divider/turning lane so I could be out of the way. I figured the car would stop if I put it into "park", but it didn't. with my foot completely pressing the brake, and the car in "park" I turned into the home depot driveway at what felt like 30 mph and the car eventually slowed down since I wasn't accelerating anymore and was able to pull into a parking space. My husband called a mechanic he knows and he said to press the on/off switch a couple times to reset the computer or something. I did that and the car turned on again like nothing was wrong. I refused to drive the car anywhere because I was so scared. My husband came to pick me up and he drove it to Toyota of whittier. They said nothing was wrong with the car, don't worry, and he wouldn't release it to me if it wasn't safe. We took it to longo Toyota the following week. (before this incident, the brakes had started making "squelching" noises and would pulse when they were pressed for about a month or two prior) they had their "head" mechanic drive with my husband and the mechanic felt and heard the brake problems we described, but said he wouldn't fix it because it would take too much of his time and it wasn't worth it to them. We don't have documentation for this visit because we didn't have an appointment and they didn't take the car into their garage. About 2 weeks ago the brakes went out again when I started the car.

- La Habra, CA, USA

Nov 092013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving about 25 mph and I was going to slow down to park on the curb and car had trouble stopping, the vsc system warning light went on and then the engine just died. Had car checked out in December at Toyota of redlands and said it was the brake actuator and cost to fix was going to be around $2800, I declined and they understood it was expensive.

- Redlands, CA, USA

Jan 102014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving to work on 1/10 the brake, ABS, check vsc system and red warning light came on. When taken to the dealer it was diagnosed as my ABS actuator pump leaking and bleeding and needing to be replaced. Not only is this an expensive repair but my power braking was gone. This is dangerous when you drive on a major highway everyday and night at speeds of 60+. this is disappointing for Toyota and disappointing that it has not been recalled yet. Apparently someone needs to be injured badly in order for it to be a problem.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jan 102014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving to work on Friday 1/10/14 my brake, ABS, check vsc and red warning lights turned on. I took it to the dealer and it was diagnosed as my ABS actuator having a leak and needing to be replaced for almost $3500. This is ridiculous if this many people are having the same issue regarding the same part on the same exact vehicle. This is not what I expected when I purchased a Toyota and this may be my last.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Nov 052013

Camry Hybrid

Brake actuator failed on the car. This is a very common problem and a recall should be issued. Toyota knows about this. The oem replacement part number is a different part number than oem that the car was built with. The car thankfully wasn't damaged as it was going very slowly, and only crashed into the curb when the brake actuator completely failed and the vehicle was unable to stop.

- Winnetka, CA, USA

Dec 122013

Camry Hybrid

While driving during rush hour traffic, the car's brake light came on and then 5-10 seconds later a "check vsc" messaged displayed on the message screen along with several warning lights (ABS, traction control, and main warning). The brakes became very soft (like a car with no power brakes) but would slow the vehicle down. I slowed down and gave myself plenty of braking distance to get it home. After 10 minutes, the warning message and lights disappeared and the brakes returned to normal operations. This appeared to be a temporary glitch. Since this first appeared, the problem has occurred 3 times while driving. The local Toyota dealership determined that the ABS actuator was failing and quoted me $3,100 to repair it. Another symptom of this failure is a constant on/off buzzing noise coming from the ABS actuator and a "chirping" noise when your foot is on the brake petal during a stop. The situation also appears to get worse when the temperature drops. I don't drive the vehicle anymore. There is no recall or service bulletin documenting this problem. The replacement part is the original design costing $2,750 and will fail again. I also contacted Toyota about this problem and told them it was a major safety hazard. They offered some financial assistance but the repair is still going to be expensive. On this website and other internet forums, this problem is a common complaint for this vehicle. I believe the NHTSA needs to investigate this problem before a major accident or fatality occurs. I find this problem to be unacceptable for a Toyota especially with only 70,500 miles on it.

- League City, TX, USA