Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 15 of 15)

Jun 192013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would make a loud thumping sound. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ABS module actuator assembly was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not repaired. The failure mileage was 108,000 and the current mileage was 108,952.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

May 202013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

After hearing lots of noises from the brake accumulator for months, the brakes failed while driving. Check vsc warning, brake lights, ABS warning, and other brake related warning lights came on. During braking the brakes released, and quite excessive pressure was required to stop the car and avoid a crash. Testing the system showed fault code C1391 (abnormal leak of accumulator pressure). I cleared the fault, but the next day the problem reappeared. We had the system bled, but once again the problem reappeared. Braking action intermittent with brakes releasing at times, and at other times locking up. A very unsafe proposition. The entire system had to be replaced at a cost in excess of $3,000. This is 10% of the cost of the car for a problem that is obviously a widespread safety issue for this vehicle based on the number of complaints filed. I cannot imagine that this has not or will not lead to fatal accidents.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Jun 062013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving, the vsc light, check engine light, brake light, and another light all came on. No apparent problems at operating speed, but at lower speeds I can feel pulsating in the brakes and on low speed turns the steering wheel pulsates a little. I am concerned that the brakes will fail. Repair estimate from the dealer is far more than we can afford. My research indicates that this is a common problem with the Camry hybrid. I believe this deserves a recall.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

May 312013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on the highway, the vsc check system, ABS, hazards, and warning lights came on. Basically, my dashboard lit up. The car also started to lose braking power, so I pulled over. I tried to turn off and restart the engine 3 times, but all the lights were still there. I had an event to attend, and drove my car in fear. After finally able to take the car to run diagnostics at the dealer, I was quoted $3000 to replace a faulty brake accumulator. I am also aware that this issue is more common, especially on Toyota Camry hybrids around 5 years old. It is ridiculous to have to pay 10% of my car's original price, since it is a widespread safety hazard. It is beyond coincidence that Toyota Camry hybrids are experiencing this problem.

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Jun 062013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

We owned this Toyota Camry hybrid since 10/20/2012. This morning about 6:10am, my wife was driving to a speed of 40mph on university drive North bound. She was passing a pothole which had stand water. She slightly press the brakes, but when she came out of the pothole, the car instead of slow down, went "crazy" to a speed of 60 mph. My wife keep the brakes pressed but the car was out of control; car went across from East to West, jumping two lines. When the car was close to hit the median, she steer it, to cross in the middle then went crazy South bond, where she was coming from.the Camry final stopped after about 50 seconds, she was against the incoming traffic.the point is that this car instead of stop when the brakes are applied, takes more speed. Thank you.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jan 142013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

There is a leak in the ABS accumulator that causes my brakes to pulse and a alarm to sound, which is a loud whining noise. I have had my rotors and brake pads replaces but that did not resolve the issue, my mechanic thinks is it the accumulator, which cost 1800 dollars just for the part. I have researched and seen hundreds of complaints about this part online. I can't afford to pay 2K for a repair at this time and I am afraid to drive my car but I have no choice due to my work and need to commute. Update 6/27/2013: The problem is persistent now and the brake pedal pulses as if it is pushing back when step down on it, it definitely affects my breaking distance. I have to start breaking much sooner than normal. Vehicle has not been repaired as the cost actually has been quoted by dch Toyota of oxnard service department on 6/8/13 for $3,250 to replace ABS actuator system. Part was $2399 alone. Updated 7/31/13

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Apr 102013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

About 2 months ago I noticed a notice when I depressed my brakes, even what the car was stopped, that there was a squeaking or thumping noise coming from the front of the car. I took to the Toyota service center last month for a 5000 mile service and they couldn't get it to happen. It became more frequent and so I took it in last week and they were able to recreate the problem. They bled the brake lines which did not fix it and so they told me there is an internal leak in the ABS actuator and the part was $2700 and total with labor would be $3100. I was looking at other options and today when driving the car would hesitate when starting to accelerate from a stop and then the vsc system check and hybrid system check warnings came on and I heard a loud hissing/fan-like noise from behind the rear seat where the hybrid battery is located. After looking online I found that this issue is very common and many complaints have been filed by owners of the 2007 model year and later Camry hybrid with mileage levels in the 50K to 80K range. In addition, there is a squishiness in the brakes and at one point when I applied the brakes the car continued to move forward. I have read online about others with this problem where their brakes failed while driving and had to pull over to the side of the road to prevent having an accident. This needs to be looked into.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Feb 062013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving down the freeway when all of the warning lights on the dash lit up on my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid with 67K miles and the brake pedal felt strange. I pulled over and turned off the car. Restarted it, just to find the that the warning lights were still on, and that the brake pedal still felt strange/different. I then drove home very slowly and called the dealer. This is the same dealer that has done all the scheduled maintenance. The dealer diagnosed it as an ABS brake accumulator hydraulic part that cost over $2500.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Aug 082012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

'check vsc system' along with brake light warning, ABS warning, and pretty much every other warning light possible came on my 2007 Camry hybrid around June of 2012. I hear pulsating under the hood constantly & when I turn on my car while in park with my foot on brake my car will begin to roll backwards by itself, I attempt to pump the breaks but it never works. I have to wait about 5-10 sec like there is a delay with my brake system when I first turn on my car. Once the brakes finally kick in my car will either jolt in very drastic way like I slammed on my brakes even though my foot has been on the brakes the whole time or it will throttle back on its own like I'm pushing on the gas. I will never park on a hill in fear of my car just taking off on its own with no brakes to stop it. I have to literally turn on my car and wait for my breaks to kick in before I can reverse. It is very scary! it has happened to me once as well when I was driving and I coming to a stop, my brakes just went out and kicked back in on its own. I brought my car to a Toyota dealership to have them check it out. They brought back a quote of $5,900! instead of trying one thing at a time they just wanted to replace everything at once. My car was right at the 5 year warranty mark but because I bought my car in guam they couldn't tell if my car was still under warranty and I would have to pay out of pocket. 2007 only 45000 miles with a 6 thousand dollar repair! that is insane let alone it is a hybrid feature & a safety issue! to me this should be covered under warranty no matter what! look online you can see hundreds of people complaining about this exact issue! people have even made websites for it! I'm very disappointed in Toyota. I'm stuck with this car that I cant afford to fix! so I drive every day in what seems to me like a death trap! it's just not right.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Feb 152013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The vehicle had been for the past weeks with a pulsating noise under the hood, specially at stops waiting for a red light. You can feel the pulsation on the pedal when you depress the brake pedal. The noise gets louder the harder you press the pedal and the car seems like its trying to move forward on its own. No problem lights were on the control panel until it reached 87,225. After that I had the ABS, brake, warning, vst lights all on with the message of check vst on the lcd of the control panel. Took the car to the dealer and after inspection they determined that the ABS actuator module had to be replaced. The quote was for $2,600!!!!! I started searching online and found out several other Camry owners had the same problem. I'm filing the complaint because this is a very critical component in terms of safety and it is failing at a very low mileage (under 100K) and sometimes even under 60K. Also the cost of repair is so high you have no choice but to increase the financial burden because it is a part that it is critical for the car's safety operation. I would never drive a car with brake problems. Please investigate this issue. Updated 08/15/13

- San Juan, PR, USA

Nov 012012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The"check vsc system" sensor came on while I was driving. I was doing approximately 45 mph on the road. The road conditions were good and I keep up with maintenance. The ABS failure light, brake and warning icons. I have it checked out and I'm told by Toyota car's ABS accumulator system and water pump must be replaced and that they hadn't have such issues before. After much research, this is a common complaint among Toyota Camry hybrid owners. This seems to be a design flaw and worse, my break pads and tires are brand new. This shouldn't be an issue but breaks pulsate and makes the vehicle unsafe as you can't control breaks when needed, especially, while parked on a inclined position. I am very concerned for my safety and the safety of others if my breaks were to fail because Toyota has failed to recognize this as a vital recall repair. Without brakes you can kill or injure someone and that bad water pump can cause your engine to overheat. Please look into this and have Toyota take responsibility for this situation!

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 062013

Camry Hybrid

My brake accumulator pump started to fail on my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. This is a well documented weakness on these cars. There is hundreds of posts online with frustrated owners having this part fail (prius and Camry hybrid), and Toyota claim there is no problem with it; yet when it is replaced, they replace the part with a re-designed and different part! the cost of the part alone is $1900+ and installed by the dealer it is about $2700! this part is also unique to the hybrid braking system on this car, yet it is "not covered" by the hybrid system 10 year 100K mile warranty. This is an extreme safety risk as I have seen other posters have their brakes fail at high speeds due to this issue. The water pump is also notorious for failure on this car at low mileage and no recall has been issued to date.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 032013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, all of the warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel as the brakes failed. The contact had to coast to the shoulder to stop the vehicle. The contact shut off the vehicle and restarted. Once the vehicle was restarted, the vehicle independently reset. The contact was able to drive the vehicle for an additional week without incident however, the failure recurred. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for inspection of the brakes where the dealer advised that the braking system was working as designed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was not available.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Nov 302008

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, there was a thumping and squeaking sound emitted from the vehicle. In addition, the ABS light would intermittently illuminate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the entire ABS system would need to be replaced. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 140,000.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Nov 242012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Last 2 months I had call Toyota to head quarter to report my car lost power, can't control break or steering wheel.. driving on the road with 40-45mph all the sudden the car had lost control steering and break and all the lights inside the panel blinking.... finally I can break my car (very hard). I put the gear back to park and turn of the power button when I try to turn it back on it still not come up all the lights blinking.. (several times) I quit.. pop up the hood and check forward make sure nothing come loose or... I come back to the car and turn engine on, it working again.... I drive home.. Toyota customer service offer me to going to close Toyota dealer to have it check out, but I do not have times until last couple days it happen again.. I so concern about life driving this car now, I went to Toyota dealer close to me sport city Toyota, where I use to have it tune up. They check out my car and notify to me that my 12V battery had going bad drop to 7V (which they had notify for me on 2010) but I did not replace it. It did not sound right to me if the battery go bad for 2 years ago, but I still can drive my car to work and do things for 2 years with out any problems until now it had lost power for 2 times for the last 2 months. I drive my car home, removed the 12V battery out check with the meter 12V show up... I need help with you people to see what to do next or the investigate to see this car had malfunction or some thins else..... hope to hear from you. Thank you.

- Garland, TX, USA

Nov 302011

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

This is in follow up to incident ODI id 10453342. After four separate brake failures and subsequent deliveries of the vehicle to the dealership, the problem was diagnosed as a faulty valve in the brake actuator. Symptoms: Accumulator pump running every 10 to 15 seconds when it should run only occasionally. Dealership states that diagnostics revealed that no braking was available to the rear wheels at point of failure. The actuator was replaced under warranty at 55,218 miles. Two weeks subsequent to the warranty repair, a fifth braking failure occurred (October 30, 2012). This time with a warning tone (not heard on previous failures). The vehicle was returned to the dealership again. Dealership states the new actuator had failed due to a faulty voltage regulator. The actuator was replaced again under warranty. 23 days have passed since the last failure and the brakes are working normally. It seems that the brake actuator (the square aluminum module under the hood on the left hand side with many hydraulic lines coming out of it) is a weak component in the Toyota 2007 Camry hv.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 022012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Problem started with a clicking noise under the hood, near the engine and brakes that were crunching when slowing down or stopping. The clicking noise grew louder, happened more often and even continued after the car was turned off. Took the car to dealer who told me it was the ABS actuator. The dash lights were not on at this point and I continued to drive it. The lights on the dash appeared almost 6 weeks later when I stopped driving the car because it could be dangerous if I suddenly lost my brakes. Checked with Toyota headquarters who told me there was not a sufficient number of complaints for a recall. Checked the internet for complaints and there were plenty of Camry new car owners experiencing the same problem. Filed a complaint with Toyota and received a case number for reimbursement if the problem became a "recall" later on. This car was brought to dealership for every maintenance. This car is still not completely paid for. This "hybrid" car did not save me a penny in gas because of the ABS part will cost me over $2K. These hybrids should come with disclaimers that batteries and electronic parts cost more than non-hybrid cars and maybe people will not buy them. The costs are outrageous! they should come with extended warranties.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Under light braking, my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid brakes will suddenly "let go". at that point, additional brake pressure is required to slow the vehicle. In heavy traffic this is dangerous. My local Toyota service department advised me to increase my stopping distance to allow enough time to overcome the failure. They further suggested that a repair my be difficult as the problem is intermittent. An internet search suggests this is not unique to my vehicle.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

May 092011

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Just over a year ago, the "check vsc system" warning started coming on intermittently in my vehicle. It would go off again after a couple of vehicle starts and stops over time. The dealership ran a diagnostic, said everything was fine, and sent me along my way. After a few months it progressed to the "check vsc system", the red "brake" light, the little yellow triangle with the "!" and the stability control icon on staying on all the time. After a few more months the hydraulic brakes would lose power when the vehicle would start and this would be accompanied by a loud, constant "beep." It would last about a minute, power would return to the brakes. After a few more months the hydraulic brakes started losing power seemingly at random while I would be driving the vehicle. I can stop or decelerate, but I have to apply far more pressure to the brakes and my braking distance is greatly increased. It's a the dealership again now, and they are claiming that they have "never seen this problem before" and have "no idea how to fix it."

- El Paso, TX, USA

Mar 162012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid and have been told the actuator in the ABS system needs to be replaced. The cost of the part is over $2,200 and that doesn't include the labor to install it. After checking online, I am seeing where this seems to be an issue with Toyota hybrid vehicles. My vehicle has about 85,000 miles on it and this seems like an extreme cost for anyone, including me, to have to replace on a vehicle as new as this. Has there been any class-action suits/cases regarding this issue and do I have any recourse?

- Raleigh, NC, USA