Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 15)

Jan 042016

Camry Hybrid

"check vsc system" when I took my car out this morning, I got a warning light saying "check vsc system". my brake light and ABS lights are also on. The car brakes with a jerk and I am scared to drive it. This problem has been happening quite often. Complaints to the Toyota dealer did not help. As per a lot of people are experiencing the same problem and have complained to NHTSA. Please help with a recall as it is unsafe to drive the car this way.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Dec 212015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on a local street I noticed the red brake light came on and then just a few seconds later multiple lights came on, master warning light, electronically controlled brake warning, anti-lock brake system, slip indicator, and check vsc system and I had no braking capability. I was finally able to get the car pulled off of the road so I turned off the car and then turned it on again and the same lights were still on. I turned it off again and after a few minutes I turned it back on and the lights were not on and everything was normal. Braking system was working again. This has happened 3 times in the last 3 months and needless to say this car is no longer safe to drive.

- Covington, GA, USA

Dec 292015

Camry Hybrid

All the dashboard brake light came on, and a couple of seconds later all the system warning lights came on. The brakes became hard to push as if they were fighting me. After about 5 minutes the lights went off and the brakes felt normal again. This occurred while I was driving today. The bigger worry is that it happened ten days ago also. Once on a city street and once on the interstate. I took the car to two different shops (one was a Toyota dealership in marietta, Georgia) and they both ran diagnostics and couldn't find anything wrong. But I have an unsafe car with brake problems!

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 112015

Camry Hybrid

I was driving when the check vsc warning came on as well as the indicator warning light, the brake warning light, the ABS warning light and the vsc warning light. All the lights remained on until I reached my destination. The brake system made a strange "grunting" noise when the brakes were depressed but the brakes seemed to function properly. The lights came back on when the car was restarted and less than halfway on the return trip, went off. There has been no noticeable loss of braking. On the 21st of the month the lights came back on and have not gone off. The ABS pump actuator appears to be cycling very quickly.

- Angleton, TX, USA

Nov 192015

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving at 45 mph, the brakes were depressed but failed to completely stop the vehicle. All the warning lights were illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake reservoir failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was approximately 144,000.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Nov 132015

Camry Hybrid

First of all it started making loud squeeling noise when I would reverse use the breaks..... then the other day as I was driving like normal all day and I came to a merge lane to turn onto the main street turning to the right I was behind a cop so he went then I went as soon as I started making the turn all the lights turned on the break went hard and the steering wheel was hard to move so I had to swearve and pull over till the vehicle finally came to a stop I put it in park then turned it off and on and the warning lights turned off and after a few mins drove like normal. Then this happend again yesterday to my son here's his story: When I was driving home from work I was coming to a four way stop them all of a sudden all the lights came on the dash board the breaks got hard and the steering wheel too and I had to swerve to not hit the green truck in front of me then it barley made it home. As of this morning I tried starting it reversing it and it won't move all the lights are still on the vcs check system is on and it won't turn off or move. Please help!

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Nov 032015

Camry Hybrid

I was driving to work in the morning and while on the freeway, my brakes suddenly did not work. Every light on the dash turned on and it said "check vsc system" it has now happened three times and I am afraid to drive my vehicle. I searched online and saw that this has happened to a lot of other people so I feel it's a defect and there should be a recall.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Nov 042015

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc system comes on, the brake becomes very hard and lights such as ABS and others come up on the dashboard while in motion.

- Edmonton, AL, USA

Nov 032015

Camry Hybrid

I had to replace today my brake actuator and bleed brakes because started in one week ago, every time I stepped in my brake made noise like when you honk for somebody. I would like to know if Toyota had a recall about this problem because I think they did and I paid $1.800 for a problem I think they should pay for this problem in my car

- Roswell, GA, USA

Oct 232015

Camry Hybrid

While driving under 45 mph on a straight Suburban paved road, my brake light came on then off then on again directly followed by all the warning lights coming on and the display showed "check vcs system". I was entering a turn lane behind another vehicle and quickly realized the brake pedal was not working. I had no brakes! I had already put the car into the engine brake mode which helped slow my vehicle. I slammed down on the brake pedal as hard as I could and swerved away from the car in front of me to avoid hitting them. After successfully pulling over and to a stop, I turn the vehicle off and waited for a few minutes. I turned the car back on and all the lights and check vcs system was still displayed for about 30 seconds. I heard a small click and all the warning lights turned off and the car and brakes were back to normal. I am honestly now afraid to drive my own car for fear of not knowing when and if that will happen again.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Dec 102014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact received notification from the manufacturer for a service campaign to address the internal malfunction of the brake actuator assembly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than three times for diagnostic testing. The dealer was not able to remedy the failure with the manufacturer's service campaign ZE1. After the repair, the service engine soon warning light, ABS warning light, traction control warning light, and slip indicator continued to randomly flash and remained illuminated. The contact also stated that the push button start would not properly function intermittently and the contact was not able to start the vehicle numerous times without warning. The manufacturer was also notified several times that the service campaign did not prevent the failure from occurring. The vehicle was to be taken back to the dealer for further testing. The contact was waiting on instructions from the manufacturer to provide a permanent remedy for the condition to address the failure and received no resolution. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 126,355.

- Forest Park, GA, USA

Oct 182015

Camry Hybrid

While driving on city street, check vsc system warning appeared along with check engine/stability/antilock brake warning lights. Vehicle did not lose braking completely but did not feel normal and was brought to side of road. After restart was lights cleared and has behaved normally so far. Brought to dealer next day, unable to find problem.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Oct 112015

Camry Hybrid

Driving at 40 mph, check vsc system, brake, traction, warning lights came on simultaneously, vehicle experienced immediate loss of brakes and power steering. Needed to use emergency braking and down shift to bring car to complete stop. Was on Suburban area paved road and was going straight.

- Harleysville, PA, USA

Oct 072015

Camry Hybrid

Whiles driving the ABS light came on, the caution lights came on and brake light came on at the same time. The brakes felt really odd. It pulsates. The alarm says check the vsc system

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Oct 052015

Camry Hybrid

Today morning I saw my 2007 Camry hybrid reporting " check vsc system" "check hybrid system" on the dashboard. I the breaking seems to be hard. I dont see my vehicle in the recall list though but vehicle has a issue. The customer support does let me detail the process and is helping me anyway. Abreast me the procedure to take it up further with Toyota.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 272015

Camry Hybrid

I started my car this morning and a message that said check vsc system appeared. The brake light and master warning lights also appeared. I started to go out the drive way and could not press the brakes. It was a little jumpy and the brakes are hard to press now.

- Kinston, NC, USA

Mar 102015

Camry Hybrid

While driving on freeway car lost some braking power and slight pulsing could be felt when pressing on brakes. At the same time the dash lights all lit up; emergency brake light, ABS light, warning lights, and screen said check vsc system. Prior to system failing emergency brake light would randomly turn on... very scary when driving 65 mph. Also at slower speeds, it is difficult to apply adequate pressure on the brake pedal to stop normally.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Jan 052015

Camry Hybrid

While I was driving on level ground with the foot lightly on the accelerator, a warning bell and various warning lights went off (including ABS and check vsc system). When I put on the brakes I had to push much harder than usual in order to slow the vehicle. These conditions continued for three miles, at which point the warning signals discontinued and the braking returned to normal. Both an independent repair shop and the local Toyota dealer did not find error codes or identify a cause for what I experienced. The dealer installed a new brake fluid reservoir as part of a limited service campaign. It would not, however, install a new brake actuator assembly or brake stroke sensor as part of the ZE1 warranty enhancement since it did not find error codes. Toyota's national customer experience center would also not authorize the replacement of these parts due to a lack of error codes. Six months and 5000 miles later the problem has not happened again. Updated 09/06/16

- Highland Park, NJ, USA

Jun 232015

Camry Hybrid

I was doing about 55 on the beltway on 6/23/15. I went to slow down the car as the traffic was beginning to back up. The brakes failed and I was able to steer onto the shoulder and let it coast until finally the brakes started to work again.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Jun 192015

Camry Hybrid

The Toyota Camry hybrid shows the "check vsc system" message on the dashboard with the brake, hazard, warning, and ABS lights. Upon research it seems like a known Toyota issue with their faulty ABS accumulator. The replacement cost is a staggering $2500+ quoted by the dealers. Without replacing it affects the brake systems. There is pulsating in the brakes. There is also water pump leak associated with this. This should be handled by Toyota with a recall. There are lots of reporting for this same issue and fixing this issue is so costly and for a know failed/fauly component.

- Austin, TX, USA