Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 4 of 15)

Nov 272013

Camry Hybrid

We were on a trip from NY to atlanta, ga last thanksgiving and somewhere in North Carolina, the car emitted a warning ping, and a number of lights on the dash, including brakes, check engine, vcs and a yellow triangle, illuminated. A message on the display read "check ABS". at the same time the brakes became extremely difficult to actuate and I felt as though I had to put all my effort into activating the car's brakes. We pulled into a rest stop and as we began to slow, the lights went out. Just before we got to a parking spot however, the same thing occurred. We let the car sit for a while before attempting to move to turn it on again, at which point, things seemed normal. It happened once or twice again on the trip there, but didn't occur at all on the way back nor throughout 2014... until now. Recently the same thing has begun happening with more regularity. We took the car in for a diagnosis today. While researching the issue, I noticed that this has been reported previously, so I decided to add my voice to the masses.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 162014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was getting off of the highway. I started to decelerate and I lost a majority of my brake power. All of the lights on my dash came on, and my display said check vsc system. I pulled onto the shoulder was slamming on my brake since I had very little brake power at this point. I turned off my car and turned it back on several times. The lights stayed illuminated. I was 1/2 a mile from work at this point. I drove with my hazard lights on and took it slow to work. When I got to work and pulled into the parking lot, the lights went off.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 042012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

At higher speed brakes vibrate horribly when brake pedal is pushed and car is almost uncontrollable. Now it happens all the time at any speeds over 40-50mph.

- Granite Bay, CA, USA

Dec 132014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Toyota hybrids have a braking device in the transmission. This device can be applied at any time. When using the transmission brake the vehicles speed is reduced at a considerable rate. When braking using this method the brake lights do not come on. There is no indication that the vehicle is braking. I use this method on a routine basis and was informed of no brake lights by another driver. I use this system of braking while going downhills in the city and driving in the mountains.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Sep 162014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving about 35 mph when all of my brake, slip indicator and ABS warning lights came on. I immediately pulled over and looked it up in my owner's manual. There, it told me to take the car to the Toyota dealer. I was 40 miles from home so I proceeded to go back to the hospital to pick up my boyfriend. I got less than a mile down the road when the master warning light and an alarm came on. Again I pulled over and turned off the car. The manual told me that I needed to have it towed to the dealer immediately. At the dealership I found that there was a "limited service campaign" on a filter that connects the chambers in the brake reservoir. It was replaced and I didn't have another issue until 11/26/14. Again, all the warning lights and alarm came on and I had to have it towed to the dealer. There, I was told that the brake actuator had failed and it would be over $1500 to replace. Luckily, I did some research and found this is also being covered by Toyota under a "warranty enhancement" program.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Aug 012014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while attempting to start the vehicle, several unknown warning lights illuminated. The contact also mentioned that when depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle swerved from left to right. In addition, there was an abnormal noise coming from the brakes. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Clinton, NC, USA

Nov 202014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving at ~35 mph toward an intersection of stopped cars. I pushed the brake pedal to begin to stop. The brake pedal went soft and pushed to the floor, with little or no slowing of the vehicle. At the same time the dashboard lit up a lot of warning lights, I did not have time to check the warning lights. I swerved into the turn lane where there were no cars and began to make a wide left. I again began to apply the brakes, this time the brakes worked. I pulled into a parking lot and parked. The warning screen said something like "check vcs system". "brakes" warning light and "ABS" warning light was illuminated with others which I did not take note of. I turned the vehicle off and called for a tow to the Toyota dealer. Turning the vehicle on again showed no warnings.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Nov 222014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

ABS actuator pump assembly problem. 89000 miles on car 2007 Camry hybrid vsc control warning comes on. The dealer said I needed new brakes. Got new brakes and still having the same problem with the brakes. When backing up the brakes lock and the car jerks as if the brakes were hit hard. The new brakes also are making the same noise as the original brakes. I no longer feel safe for myself and my grandchildren who are with me in this car.

- Harvey, LA, USA

Nov 012011

Camry Hybrid

Driving on the road, everything was normal, then my entire dashboard lights up with all the warning signs. The internal car displays vsc maintenance required, and I'm thinking I didn't do anything. I just got the car this year. There shouldn't be a problem like this. The brakes were very hard to press down on to even brake. I fee like the brakes just stopped working or the brake itself would let me brake as normal. Little shocked because I'd had crash into the driver in front of me. I started to drive very slow. Then the lights and warning signs went away, and my brakes were back to normal. I felt like it was just a computer glitch and started to drive normally again. After I did, the car again went off with the warning signs on the dashboard and the vsc display was on again stating maintenance was required one again. So I started to drive slow once again. Went to a repair shop they said my brakes were good, and that the car probably needed to get it check because of the hybrid system. This only happen during the summer. During the winter it goes off, to which I still felt like it was a computer glitch. Went to the dealer recently and they said that my accumulator needs to be replace. I asked how does something like this occur. The mechanic stated somewhere in the lines of it's a man made part so it's can happen from time to time. But in my opinion, if I did everything like I was suppose to do, this should not happen. The total repair for the part is $1892! that's with labor included! seriously, why does a part that is so important to the car that expensive"! and why doesn't Toyota report on this technical issue for their cars"

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Nov 132014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving all brake lights lit up on dash, "vsc check system" message showed. But the car seemed to brake fine, until I went to park. The brake went completely soft and the car continued forward motion until running into the curb. Upon restarting the car all the lights were back to normal. It happened again later in the day, lights come on, brakes fail. Luckily I was going very slowly and able to stop the car by pumping the brakes.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Nov 032014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving to the market at 40mph a series of warnings came on. The "check vsc system", the brake light, ABS, skid, parking light, and general warning light came on the dashboard and the car lost its braking power. I had to push down very hard on the brake and use the emergency brake to stop the car. So far it has happened twice. According to the Toyota dealership, there is no record of the errors or lack of brake power in the computer and they say they can't duplicate it. I am not driving it now because I am concerned about crashing.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 112014

Camry Hybrid

This has happened several times. The vcs system warning indicators go off on the car, including the brake light the ABS light and then the brakes fail. I took it into the dealership on Thursday, Nov. 6, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it since the computer didn't register a code. The brake light went on again on Saturday, Nov, 8. and then the vcs system warning indicators went off when I started my car on Tuesday, Nov. 11. and the brakes failed. I cannot drive this car around like this not knowing when the brakes are going to fail. It's not safe, and I can't get any help from the dealership. I don't have the option of not driving into work. I need a car. This car is supposed to be safe.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 072014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the brake sensor light illuminated and the brakes malfunctioned within minutes. As a result, the vehicle failed to stop while the contact was engaging the brake pedal. The contact was able to merge into a parking area and the vehicle was towed to a dealer. The failure had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Oct 252014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On 10/14/2014 I took the car to dealer for brake reservoir recall. The dealer replaced the brake fluid reservoir and reset the brake vehicle stability control unit. On 10/25/2014 while approaching a stop light I depressed the brake pedal at which time the brake warning, ABS warning, slip indicator and master caution warning lights illuminated and the brakes grabbed (or more accurately: Locked random wheels in a random sequence) causing the vehicle to careen and swerve out of control. Wheels apparently locked up completely because there was smoke and screeching. Vehicle stopped sideways in the intersection out of control. Had other vehicles been present in adjacent lanes or ahead of me there would have certainly been an accident. This vehicle has had ongoing brake problems including a brake ECU replacement. After brake ECU replacement no trouble has occurred until this event. The hybrid battery has been replaced twice. When the hybrid battery failed the first time the braking system also became unstable and the vehicle lurched forward. This incident also nearly caused an accident and was reported to ntsb. My experience is when there is a system fault related to the hybrid battery or vehicle stability control while driving the brake system becomes unstable.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Nov 272013

Camry Hybrid

Under wet conditions, my brake warning light appeared just as I was approaching a red light, I found I had no power brakes, and barely managed to avoid entering the intersection. I took my car in for repair, they told me there was a problem with my ABS system, and the only way to fix it was to just replace the actuator assembly for ~$3,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 272012

Camry Hybrid

Noticed strange sound coming from ABS actuator after vehicle shut down. Had it checked at Toyota dealer and it was determined that the actuator was not holding pressure. The actuator was replaced at a cost to me of $2147.96. Dealer contacted regional rep and subsequently determined that Toyota would not cover the out of warranty work. I have since learned that Toyota has issued an extended warranty on this item and will investigate getting a refund.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Nov 212012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The ABS brake accumulator was defective resulting in a warning light and loss of braking power. Brake pedal would slowly depress all the way to the floorboard with greatly reduced braking effort. It was intermittent at first then worsened. I came close to a rear end collision and had to go to the shoulder of the road to prevent striking another vehicle. Toyota would not assist in cost of repair. Prices for the accumulator part ranged from $1200 up to near $3000. This part has to be replaced by a Toyota shop due to computer programming requirements. I ended up shelling out about $1500 to have it replaced by a Toyota shop after I acquired an older version of the part from an online source. It is apparent they have reworked the part and superseded its original catalog number (part # 44050-30300 ABS actuator assy 2007 Camry hybrid) to evidently reflect a corrected part. I have heard of others having this problem also.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 282014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated while driving approximate 60 mph attempting to engage the brakes, the vehicle made a jerking motion as the brake light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the brake assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Brooklyn , NY, USA

Sep 052013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Brake alert lights appeared on dash on night of 9/5/14 upon starting the vehicle. Read codes in owner's manual, and drove few blocks to home at slow speed (15 mph). On Saturday morning, 9/6/14, the incident occurred again when I was driving at about 25-30 miles per hour. Not only did the alert lights appear, but the brakes "bled" through to the floor, and it felt as if the car accelerated. Brakes worked only after pumping the brake pedal. I had the vehicle towed to service center. After diagnostics and driving for 90 miles over 4 days, the incident could not be replicated, nor did any codes appear on the computer. Vehicle was released after paying diagnostic fees. The incident occurred again on 10/2/14: Brake lights appeared on dash, the car felt it was accelerating, and the brakes failed temporarily. My foot bled through, I pumped the pedal before brakes began to work. The vehicle was towed to dealership. Again, diagnostics did not reveal codes nor was the incident able to be replicated. Dealership replaced the brake fluid reservoir according to Toyota corporate directions. Found info online that NHTSA cited 59 complaints of brake failure for 2007-08 Camry hybrids. Reported these incidents to Toyota corporate, who assigned a case no. Have not heard from corporate case mgr. Yet, but expect to by Monday, 10/06/14. Corporate said they do not offer a loaner vehicle while this is being addressed, but to ask dealership. Dealership said they could not provide a loaner vehicle.

- Manitou Springs, CO, USA

May 212014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Vehicle serviced 3/10/10 under Toyota 90L recall campaign. Dealership stated all systems functional upon completion. On 5/21/14, in safe road conditions and parking lot speeds <10 mph, driver applied brakes to vehicle in order to pull into parking spot. During braking, vehicle did not slow or stop, but accelerated at a high rate of speed, striking a parking berm and three other vehicles. Police report made; driver not cited but was advised to contact Toyota re brake failure and acceleration. Toyota was contacted; inspection was made by Bosch engineering. Toyota contends the incident is not a result of any manufacturing defect. Toyota provided a technical report containing engineering data without layman's explanation or proof of its contention. Toyota was found by the doj to have misled consumers and the govt regarding severity and "resolution: Of this issue. On 8/21/14 and 8/22/14 driver was contacted by Toyota with a second and separate recall notice #E0U, affecting the vehicle's brake reservoirs, in which clogging and/or low fluid levels "could cause additional warning lamps[...]to illuminate and front brake assist could be temporarily lost." The warning lamp in question did illuminate during the 5/21 incident. Legal counsel for driver has advised an independent review of the Bosch report and inspection of the brake reservoir; however, the vehicle was totaled and sold at auction by the insurance company's salvage agent. I have initiated an independent review of the Bosch report at my own expense. In light of Toyota's misleading conduct regarding recall campaign 90L and the subsequent recall #E0U, driver contends that Toyota is at fault for the events of 5/21/14.

- Lodi, CA, USA