CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 192013

Camry Hybrid

I was driving our family car and all of a sudden the ABS light came on along with the brake light and others. Car was difficult to stop. My husband told me to shut off the car and restart. That temporarily solved the problem but it then happened again 2 days later. It is not safe to drive!

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Sep 142007

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving all of a sudden multiple warning lights appeared and brake and stability controls were disabled. Very difficult to stop. This happened before when car was new in 2007. Took it to dealer and could not replicate. They told me if it happens again to shut off the car and then restart. That works but when it happens while driving, car is difficult to control. I have since had this happen recently 4 times in Dec 2013.

- Venice, FL, USA

Dec 112013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, all of the warnings lights illuminated as the brakes failed to engage. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle had to be coasted to the side of road in order to stop. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the mechanic stated that the problem was unknown. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 092012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

A few months before the check engine light came on, I started to notice some unusual noise from a part under the hood at the far right side, behind the head light. In the beginning it just hummed very loud when I stopped the car. Then it became worse, I could hear the noise even during driving. I took the car to the dealership and they told me this was normal for hybrid car. I didn't believe them but couldn't argue with them because I know very little about cars. Then one day in early June of 2012 the check engine light came on and the brake became soft. So I immediately took it to the dealership and this time I was told that a part called an actuator needs replacement. The cost would be over $3000. I was totally shocked and couldn't believe that a car with less than 70K on it and just out of the warranty would have this kind of problem. After some negotiations with the dealership they agreed to charge me about half of the price. Toyota had a reputation for reliability and it was the reason that I bought the hybrid car. Just a few months ago, in October 2011 the water pump was also broken, which cost me about $200 after some haggling about their warranty. Obviously the actuator failure is a more serious problem and I've learned from other customers that they have had exactly the same problems (water pump and actuator) around the same mileage range. So this is clearly a common problem. I am filing this complaint in joining others to force Toyota to address these problems.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Sep 042013

Camry Hybrid

I was shock to take my car in to fix my brake actuator. I almost got into an accident and killed someone on the road. When I took my car in they charge me $2900. Wth! please recall this part Toyota so you can pay me back. Theirs too much people paying to fix this! we will get you guys!

- Portland, OR, USA

Oct 082013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that the vehicle powered on independently. The vehicle was not taken for inspection or repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 113,023.

- Park Ridge, NJ, USA

Jun 012007

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

There is an electrical or chemical burning smell that is present. The smell has been present since the time I bought the car. Initially, I did not think anything of it and was told by the dealer that it was due to the newness of the hybrid engine. However, the smell has never dissipated over the years. I have become tolerant to the smell but passengers continue to comment on the smell, it permeates our clothing, luggage (in the truck), etc. The Toyota dealer acknowledges the problem but has not offered any way to remedy this situation. I have become increasingly concerns at the urging of others that there is the potential for harmful health consequences. There are a number of hybrid online forums/discussion groups discussing the same smell in their Toyota hybrid cars, it does not appear to be limited to the Camry model.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Apr 092013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The plastic housing around the right headlight melted, a fire hazard.

- Iron Mountain, MI, USA

Jul 122012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving at about 5mph approaching a left turn lane when I smelled a strong burning plastic odor. I saw smoke arising from my driver's door and realized it was coming from my car! I could see there was a fire in between my door when I looked at my driver's door control unit. I turned off my engine and turned on my hazard light. I waited for the traffic to clear before crossing the street with my 9 yr daughter. I called the fire department which responded within 5 minutes. When they arrived the fire had already stopped so one of the firemen drove the car to the parking lot nearby to clear traffic. The button that controls the front passenger door had melted from the fire. This very window stopped working about 3 weeks ago. But somehow from the fire, the front passenger window went down on its own. I had the car towed to local Toyota dealer. The serviceman informed me that he's never heard of such problems with Toyota. I asked for Toyota corporate number and contacted them. They Toyota representative informed me that there have been 129 cases of door fires reported to them. After inspecting the door, the Toyota dealership told me that the cause of the fire was a short in the door control unit. The cost to replace the unit is $545 and door panel is $800. I'm awaiting for Toyota corporate office to inspect the door before getting the door repaired. So far I have to be the person pursuing the matter. The dealership offers no help. Toyota corporate said it will take up to 30 days to give me the report. I informed them that it has to be faster than that because I need my car for transportation so they shortened the time to 10 days.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Jul 042012

Camry Hybrid

While driving my car drove over a pot hole moments later the power steering went out and I was not able to control the car and nearly ran into a medium in the middle of street. I was stuck in the middle of the road. The "check hybrid system" warning came on screen, along with P/S, brake, ABS. I was not able to put the car in drive. Tow truck came. The tow driver was able to release the car into drive position however the wheels were not turning. When we got to the dealership he had to force the steering wheels to move the car. Dealership says a "fuse" went out. They determined that the fuse going out was not as a result of the pot hole and they are not sure what the issue is. The service department has had my car for 12 days and was not able to recreate "the fuse" to go out.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Jun 132012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I started my car and started to drive down the street. I just started when smoke came from dash and left door and fire started in the left door. My arm was burned. My employer checked internet. Many other people have complained about this problem.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Apr 232012

Camry Hybrid

While driving, the passenger window began to roll down on its own when I tried to roll the window back up using the master switch on the driver side, I noticed smoke coming from the button, upon closer inspection I could see actual flames underneath the button. I pulled over and turned the car off. The flame burned itself out inside the door panel. I took the car into a local Toyota deal and paid $500 to repair the master switch.

- Burtonsville, MD, USA

Nov 012009

Camry Hybrid

Letter from senator on behalf of constituent re stalling problems while driving his 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The consumer stated the vehicle has stalled three times while driving in traffic. The vehicle stalled each time the consumer stepped on the gas pedal. He would have to suddenly depress the brake pedal to avoid a collision. The engine would lose power and pressing on the gas pedal did nothing. The consumer stated he was able to coast the vehicle off the highway. The dealer stated nothing could be done if the computer didn't record the incident.

- Roseville, MN, USA

May 012007

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. She attempted to lock the vehicle but it would not lock. She then attempted to operate the vehicle but it would not start until after several repeated attempts. She said the failure recurred intermittently whenever the vehicle was parked near electrical towers. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. While driving at an unknown low speed the vehicle stalled and a service light illuminated on the dashboard stating that the key was not detected. She had a passenger hold the keyless entry device next to the steering column in order to continue driving the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 500 and the current mileage was 25,000.

- Depoe Bay, OR, USA

Sep 142008

Camry Hybrid

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. I was driving on open highway in great conditions and minimal traffic. When in cruise control my car accelerated when toggled to speed up but did not stop accelerating at the set speed (75) or when the brake was tapped. (I can't remember if I toggled the coast on the cruise control). The car only stopped accelerating when I turned off the cruise control button. At that point it was going 92 mph the car immediately coasted and then the brake worked. It has not happened again with or without cruise control. The dealer cannot find anything wrong.

- Loma Linda, CA, USA

Oct 312008

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. While attempting to park, the vehicle suddenly shut off and the warning light to check the hybrid system illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the inverter converter needed to be replaced. There were no warnings prior to the failure. The current and failure mileages were 700. Updated 02/18/10.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA