CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments

Sep 012016

Camry Hybrid

Engines oil being consumed at an accelerated and driver and passenger sun visors loose which hinders drivers view while driving because they flop downwards and do not stay at a recommended angle to block sun during use.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Apr 012016

Camry Hybrid

When shifted into reverse while car not on or when car on but key not detected or during delay between key detection car will roll backwards but will not allow driver to drive forward.

- Larchmont, NY, USA

Jan 012015

High oil consumption.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 022016

Camry Hybrid

Was driving, and hybrid system check light came on...continued driving slowly then car lost a bit of power..like parking break was on and vcs failure light came on. Drove home after with hybrid system check still on.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 182016

Camry Hybrid

While my car was in motion, my vsc system check light was on and almost simultaneously the check hybrid system light was on along with the check engine light. The car did not let me accelerate above 30mph.N and I could feel the friction while accelerating. I had to call roadside assistance to have my car towed.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Mar 182016

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. While the vehicle was stopped at a stop sign, the check hybrid and vcs warning indicators illuminated. The accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle jerked. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer nor diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 113,000.

- Milledgeville, GA, USA

Mar 202015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On 20 March 2015, while starting the car, a warning indicator showed up on my instrument panel. The indicator stated ( check hybrid system.....vsc system ). I parked the car for the day. Day 2, I took the car to a auto shop and had a basic scan that reads ABS codes performed on the car. The basic scan reveled to "replace battery pack". two mechanics informed me while performing the scan, a burning odor was observed from the car. I drove the car home and parked it. I lastly observed the only information displayed from the instrument panel was " check hybrid system". the only lights on were the warning light and the engine light.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Oct 072014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled as the vsc system, ABS, and the traction control warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 134,940.

- Hacketts Town, NJ, USA

May 212014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Vehicle serviced 3/10/10 under Toyota 90L recall campaign. Dealership stated all systems functional upon completion. On 5/21/14, in safe road conditions and parking lot speeds <10 mph, driver applied brakes to vehicle in order to pull into parking spot. During braking, vehicle did not slow or stop, but accelerated at a high rate of speed, striking a parking berm and three other vehicles. Police report made; driver not cited but was advised to contact Toyota re brake failure and acceleration. Toyota was contacted; inspection was made by Bosch engineering. Toyota contends the incident is not a result of any manufacturing defect. Toyota provided a technical report containing engineering data without layman's explanation or proof of its contention. Toyota was found by the doj to have misled consumers and the govt regarding severity and "resolution: Of this issue. On 8/21/14 and 8/22/14 driver was contacted by Toyota with a second and separate recall notice #E0U, affecting the vehicle's brake reservoirs, in which clogging and/or low fluid levels "could cause additional warning lamps[...]to illuminate and front brake assist could be temporarily lost." The warning lamp in question did illuminate during the 5/21 incident. Legal counsel for driver has advised an independent review of the Bosch report and inspection of the brake reservoir; however, the vehicle was totaled and sold at auction by the insurance company's salvage agent. I have initiated an independent review of the Bosch report at my own expense. In light of Toyota's misleading conduct regarding recall campaign 90L and the subsequent recall #E0U, driver contends that Toyota is at fault for the events of 5/21/14.

- Lodi, CA, USA

Aug 272014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Was very hot outside for 3 weeks straight. On the way to the grocery store check engine light came on with the following 2 readouts on speedometer display: "check vsc" and "check hybrid system". instantly the hybrid part of the vehicle stopped working. Brakes changed feel and throttle became very delayed. When I pulled into my driveway and put the transmission into park, the engine started to knock. When I put into drive or neutral the knocking stops. The engine knocked hard in park position as if there are loose pieces of metal crunching. Ever since then, the car's hybrid drive doesn't work and check engine light is on, ABS light, vsc light P/S light, a red triangle light, and an orange circle with an exclamation point in it. We parked the car and we are not driving it until its fixed. We have 2 toddlers and we aren't going to risk driving it.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Feb 142014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving I attempted brake to slow entry into uphill driveway. All lights on driver panel lit up. Brakes did not respond to slow down or stop. With full force I depressed brake pedal. Since drive way was uphill, I coasted to stop just short of garage door before crashing. This was not the first time the brakes totally failed during last couple of months. I drove to dealership for second time to have beaks inspected. The car was also making loud noise whenever brakes applied. The service manager said the brake system was examined by several technicians. Again, they found nothing wrong with brakes and told me the car was safe to drive! despite several recent brake failures, two visits to Toyota dealership, the service manager said the loud noise when braking came from the "brake actuator, " which could be replaced for $2,900! quote from service invoice of March 18, 2014, follows: "tech 165630 performed diagnosis on brake noise from inside cab of vehicle. Test drove with customer to verify noise. Found that brake actuator is the cause of internal noise when at a stop while brake is applied. Suggest new brake actuator and brake flush and re-test for noise again." Service manager and technicians said, "it' safe to drive." I do not believe it is safe to drive. Since I am a visiting hospice nurse, that car is my office. I wonder when the brakes will fail again, and when the incessant loud noise will stop. I took the car to an independent foreign car repair shop. They said, "the actuator is the source of the noise and your braking problem. However, we can't get an actuator to replace Toyota's part because it is a "locked part" in the engine. Only Toyota dealers can obtain the part, and only a Toyota dealer can install the part." Will you help?

- Woodbridge, CA, USA

Jun 172014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

First: I got check vsc system when I made a U-turn. I read the failure code is C1391. So, it means ABS accumulator is leaking. I also noticed ABS accumulator was pretty noise about two month before. I though it may be a problem, but I did not pay attention on it because I was suffering the engine oil consumption. Now, it really died. I got many cases online about this issues and they reported that Toyota has redesigned this accumulator, so it means Toyota already knew this problem. This is a very important issue. It may cause deadly accident if the brake doesn't work suddenly. In addition, fix this problem needs over two thousands dollars. It should not be paid by owner since this is a design defect. I hope Toyota will recall this problem. Second, this car's engine piston ring has defect. This causes engine oil consumption. In fact, my car is burning engine oil now. It's about 1500 miles/0.6quart. It will get worse and this also may cause engine failure in the future.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 122013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Car was parked. Turned on ignition and saw multiple waening lights. Drove to dealer for repairs and was told brake actuator assembly needs to exchanged.

- Katy, TX, USA

Nov 202013

Camry Hybrid

As I braked lightly to turn 90 degrees into my driveway at a low speed, the car suddenly accelerated and smashed on to the side of my front brick stoop. Then it sped down the driveway sightly leftward at break neck speed and crashed into my neighbor's brick house. Police came and then the ambulance, called by my neighbor whose house I hit. The car was totaled.

- Hollis Hills, NY, USA

Oct 082013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that the vehicle powered on independently. The vehicle was not taken for inspection or repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 113,023.

- Park Ridge, NJ, USA

Aug 262013

Camry Hybrid

First of all: I bought 2007 Camry certifed used Aug. 2011; 70,000 miles (approx.) at Toyota dealer. Car has been serviced only by this dealer at 5,000 miles. Oil is 5W20 (not syntehtic). 8/26/13 took car in for nys inspection & routine service (car was early for servicing, didn't want to take it 2X). I was told engine needed 2 qts. Oil; had gone only 4,000 miles since last oil change; that I would need to check oil at least every 1,000 mi; or have them start the test process; I was told this is a normal problem-Toyota builds cars for epa standards. I just read Toyota nation posts; I find this is not normal; Toyota has issues with I4 engines; many folks have had same problem & no resolve from Toyota. I too have never had to check or add oil in between regular servicing; I have owned cars for 40 yrs.; this my 1st Toyota. I was always GM. I want my problem noted. Thank you.

- Newark Valley, NY, USA

Jan 062013

Camry Hybrid

My brake accumulator pump started to fail on my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. This is a well documented weakness on these cars. There is hundreds of posts online with frustrated owners having this part fail (prius and Camry hybrid), and Toyota claim there is no problem with it; yet when it is replaced, they replace the part with a re-designed and different part! the cost of the part alone is $1900+ and installed by the dealer it is about $2700! this part is also unique to the hybrid braking system on this car, yet it is "not covered" by the hybrid system 10 year 100K mile warranty. This is an extreme safety risk as I have seen other posters have their brakes fail at high speeds due to this issue. The water pump is also notorious for failure on this car at low mileage and no recall has been issued to date.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 092012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

My '07 Camry hybrid(ch) has started to experience brake failure while driving. The first documented incident: 03/09/12. W/O warning, the ch will shut down and the "check vsc" light appears on the dash. All of the dash lights light up as well. When this happened, there were no brakes, no warning, etc. When I put the car in "park", turned off the vehicle and restarted it, I was able to resume driving. I took it to dealer to have the car diagnosed. The diagnosis: Nothing wrong with the car, brakes, etc(inv.#227594). Over the past 9 months, it has occurred a few more times, usually when the vehicle is pulling out of the garage. When it happens, I turn off the vehicle, restart and go on. On 10/30/12 while my wife was driving 35mph, the car shut down, the "check vsc" light came on and the brakes completely failed. She caught a left turn signal and coasted into a parking lot. Obviously this was horrifying for her and our kids. I called aaa and had the car towed to Toyota. My service advisor(sa) told me they have begun to see this happening a lot and he predicted the ABS brake actuator (ba) failed. I told him about the incident in March, which he acknowledged knowing of. 2 hours later he called to confirm that it was the ba. We spoke about it being a defective part, he agreed and would call and speak to Toyota national(tn)to see if they could help out with the $2200 repair. The next day he told me that tn wouldn't help, and neither would the dealership. My online research discovered many ch have had this problem. I discussed with the sa that if the part is defective and they are seeing more and more of this, what guarantee is there a new ba wouldn't react the same way. He couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't. I declined to have the repair done, aaa towed vehicle to my home. The sa seemed certain that a recall was coming. The car is garaged, I have the repair est/document. Updated 07/30/13

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Oct 182012

Camry Hybrid

The water pump failed. I was told by my local service center that they are seeing many of the failures, specifically the 2007 hybrid with the 4 cylinder engine.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 102012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On August 10, 2012, I was driving my Toyota Camry hybrid 2007 on the freeway at 55 mph and it started slow down. I pulled over to the emergency lane and the engine shut down. The dashboard indicated to check "vsc hybrid system." Sandag towed me off the highway for safety. Next, I had the car towed to chula vista Toyota. The service department said that it was under warranty and would be repaired at no cost. A few days later, the service department stated that the inverter needs to be replaced and would cost more than $6000 dollars. I purchased the car less than six months ago, but was denied warranty coverage under the used certified vehicle warranty. The warranty states that the car is covered for 12 months / 12,000 miles from the date of purchase.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA