CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Aug 082014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Car was making barking noise when stepping on the brake. Dealer replaced master cylinder, actuator, and brake fluid reservoir. Drove the vehicle for two weeks without problem or recurrence. 8/25/14 all the brake warning lights and the vsc system warning came on. No problems with brakes when driving to the dealer. Dealer said ABS computer needed to be replaced for $1500. My first repair was $780. I wanted to add my complaint about the braking system to those already submitted.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Aug 122014

Camry Hybrid

I took my car to the Toyota for the campaign they have or recall for the brake problem that these Camry hybrid have because mine says check vsc, and a lot of light are on but its actually the actuator but they only changed the brake reservoir everything was fine until I made it to the house all the lights came back on the guys from the dealer informed me the reservoir ain't going to fix the problem I bought the car used with 149600 miles only 3 months ago thinking that kind of miles ain't much when it comes to Toyota just got the vehicle and can't use it thanks

- Baytown, TX, USA

Aug 152014

Camry Hybrid

Upon starting the automobile, the vsc, ABS, brake and other warning lights came on. The break catches and/or must be pumped to come to a complete stop. In addition, the vehicle seems to hyper-accelerate when in idle, especially in reverse. A local dealer/service center says a computerized part must be replaced for $2100.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Mar 122014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Master, brake, electronically controlled brake, anti-lock brake, and slip indicator warning lights came on as well as 'check vsc system light.

- Round Hill, VA, USA

Aug 012014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving, a notification was given "check vsc system". the ABS light as well as the red brake system are on as well. Brakes are not as responsive and it is difficult to stop. We will not be able to have the system checked till next week. A search on the internet says this is bad.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Jul 122014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Started vehicle, dashboard displayed vsc warning light came on with audible warning. Shut off vehicle. Waited a minute and restarted vehicle. No warning appeared on dashboard display. Drove vehicle approximately 130 miles and parked the vehicle. After 30 minutes started vehicle, vsc warning light came on again with audible warning. The vsc module continued to make a noise after shutting off the engine. Re-started vehicle and at shut off vsc was silent. Re-started vehicle 60 minutes later, no warning appeared on dashboard display. Drove vehicle approximately 130 miles and parked the vehicle. The car had performed well until this time when the warning light first came on. I then read reports on tch vsc failures. I shall not drive the vehicle until it can be repaired.

- Blaine, TN, USA

Jul 022014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While turning left in an intersection, the "brake", "warning", "stability" and "ABS" warning lights came on as well as "check vsc system". simultaneously, I lost brake power. I drove approximately 2 mi to home with no ability to control my speed using power brakes. Instead, the only brakes I had were the equivalent of using the emergency brake; a very hard, jerking motion. The Toyota dealer first told me that I was low on brake fluid and I could now pick up my car. I argued that I should have seen an "idiot" light first rather than complete failure of my braking system! 5 days later, and several conversations with corporate, the "skid control computer" was replaced for $2,000! this is such a dangerous failure on an automobile! if I had been on the freeway, there certainly would have been a serious accident! this is unacceptable. Please investigate!

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Dec 112012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On 12/11/12 I was on the highway and the check vsc system light came on with the ABS lights, master warning, brake lights, and others. The brakes were hard to depress. Luckily there was no traffic that morning or else I would have caused an accident. I pulled off the road and shut the car down. I restarted the car and the lights were off and it was drivable again. I immediately called the dealership and brought the car in. They told me they were not able to retrieve a trouble code except for battery voltage. They replace a battery that cost me $511. That did not fix the problem. On 12/22/12 the problem occurred again and I rolled into an intersection because I was not able to depress the brakes all the way. Once again, luckily there were no cars in the intersection. Brought it to the dealership and was told once again they were not able to retrieve a trouble code. From that time on I tried replacing tires because the master mechanic told me it my be the different ware on my tires, still no relief. From 2012 to yesterday the warnings appeared. There was the same ticking and squeaking sound that was originally reported. The light were on constantly and the breaking system was still difficult to depress. I had to make sure I rented a when driving long distances and to leave plenty of room while driving to ensure safe distance for my faulty braking system. So, it was fixed with $2000 to replace the brake actuator system by a different dealership. Now my car sounds normal and drives normal again. I believe that if so many people are having the same safety problem there should be a recall. Luckily I was never involved in a collision or fatality but I could definitely see it happening.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 082014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When I started the car, the dash display said "check vsc system". when I backed the car out of the driveway, the brakes were erratic, either very weak, or very strong. I was unable to control them for safe braking. There was no code in the obd system (I have a obd scan tool.). an internet search indicates that repairs will probably be about $3,000. The car is not be safe to drive until this is repaired.

- Renton, WA, USA

May 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Upon depressing brake pedal (at stop or while moving), a loud "chirping" type noise repeats until brake pedal is released. My local dealer indicated it was the ABS brake actuator that may be leaking internally, and that until it leaks externally would be ok to drive, although could be a few days or a few months before needing replacement. They estimated the cost of repair at $3,000. About 45 days later, I am getting multiple warning lights on my dashboard, including the ABS system, brake light (normally only on when I have the emergency brake engaged), check vsc system, and a general warning symbol. After doing some research online, I see there are up to 59 complaints already filed with the NHTSA regarding this issue, many indicating sudden brake loss. I feel I must take this immediately to a Toyota dealer for repair, even at the huge expense, and all while on the road during my family vacation as it may not be safe to drive at this time.

- Fort :Lauderdale, FL, USA

Apr 022014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The check vsc system on. Vsc, ABS & brake lights lit up. Went to the dealer to computer diagnose, they said there is a few code. They want to be pay first before they will give me an estimate for the repair. So I went to a outside repair shop for diagnose cost $35. They said the brake actuator need to be replace. Will cost $2000. Now the ABS & traction control is no working. I am afraid this car will cause accident or kill someone.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Jun 272014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on a street at 35 mph hit a bump in the road and the asb and brake lights came on red, and multi-information center showed check vsc system. At the same time a car pulled out in front of me and brakes seemed to not work and required a heavy force on pedal for any stopping action. I was lucky no one was in left lane so I switched to it to keep from hitting the car that pulled out in front of me.took car to shop and need to have ABS mod. Replaced.

- Belle Chasse, LA, USA

Jan 062014

Camry Hybrid

While driving the "check vsc system" light came on and I had to stand on the gas pedal to get the car to stop. There we no brakes on this vehicle. A buzz stays on continuously with the light on also but to get the car to stop, you need to stand on the pedal with both feet and push down as hard as the pedal will go. I took it to the dealer where I was told the brake actuator needs replaced and the part alone costs $2500. The part must be a new one instead of getting one from the junk yard because the old ones leak and Toyota recognizes there is a problem so they redesigned it. Everyone with a hybrid will have this problem eventually so why hasn't this car been recalled yet?

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Jan 212014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

'check vsc system' along with brake light warning, ABS warning, and pretty much every other warning light possible came on my 2007 Camry hybrid in January 2014. The brakes began to bark like a dog when pressed and frequently the brakes would give out and I would have to put the pedal to the floor to stop the car. The car was unsafe to drive so I took it to the Toyota dealer and was quoted 3900 dollars to fix the issue. It seems to be a widespread issue and Toyota needs to take care of the issue, but they have not.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While traveling on the highway at speeds of over 60 mph, several warning lights became illuminated simultaneously on the vehicle's dashboard. The lights that were illuminated included the ABS indicator, parking brake indicator, and warning light, among others. The text "check vsc system" is also constantly displayed on the vehicle's dashboard. Since these warning lights have illuminated, breaking has become more difficult and the vehicle shakes while breaking at low speeds.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Sep 012012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway, the brake failure light came up and the brakes became ineffective. As I was driving, the brakes went soft to the floor, and then all of a sudden engaged. It brake so hard, it felt like a hit something. A few days later, the brake light, traction/stability control (vsc) and ABS lights turned on, and check vsc system displayed. I took it to Toyota dealer and they diagnosed the problem as ABS actuator failure and malfunctioning of the rear brakes. I contacted Toyota about the failure and they claimed that my situation was one of a kind and there was not pattern of similar failures for this model. After prolonged arguments with Toyota and the dealership, I could not get them to address the problem under the 100,000 miles warranty for the hybrid components of the car. I had to pay over $3,000 to get the car repaired. Today, I found out (through consumer reports forums) that there are other owners of this car that have faced exactly the same problem, indicating that this is not an isolated problem and needs to be investigated by NHTSA before someone is seriously injured or loses life.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jun 172014

Camry Hybrid

Was slowing down to make a turn vsc error on display loud tone from dash car would not stop until I downshifted and used parking brake if there had been a car in front of me I would have slammed into it full force.someone will get injured from this defect dealer says around $2500 to fix and they stated if I wait probably will be recalled soon...when?

- Weston, FL, USA

Jun 172014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

First: I got check vsc system when I made a U-turn. I read the failure code is C1391. So, it means ABS accumulator is leaking. I also noticed ABS accumulator was pretty noise about two month before. I though it may be a problem, but I did not pay attention on it because I was suffering the engine oil consumption. Now, it really died. I got many cases online about this issues and they reported that Toyota has redesigned this accumulator, so it means Toyota already knew this problem. This is a very important issue. It may cause deadly accident if the brake doesn't work suddenly. In addition, fix this problem needs over two thousands dollars. It should not be paid by owner since this is a design defect. I hope Toyota will recall this problem. Second, this car's engine piston ring has defect. This causes engine oil consumption. In fact, my car is burning engine oil now. It's about 1500 miles/0.6quart. It will get worse and this also may cause engine failure in the future.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 112014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

As I was backing up, the brakes went soft to the floor, and then all of a sudden the brakes engaged. It brake so hard, it felt like a hit something. A few days later, the brake light, traction control and ABS lights turned on, and check vsc system displayed. I took it to Toyota and they said it was code-1391, abnormal leak in accumulator. The cost was going to be $2694. I declined the repair, because I don't have money to repair.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 202013

Camry Hybrid

I was only driving my vehicle about a mile when it first happened. I was approaching a stop light and attempted to apply the brakes. Nothing happened. The steering went out and the brakes felt like they weren't catching. Thankfully, I was only going about 25-30 mph, and had enough space to stop before hitting another car that was stopped at the light. I looked at the dashboard display and noticed something that read, "check vsc system". there was also a warning triangle. The Camry manual instructed us to bring it to the dealership - but I can't afford that. The next day, it worked fine. A few weeks later, the incident happened again while I was exiting the highway and coming to a red light. I was decelerating from about 65 mph to a full stop and felt the brakes give again and the steering was difficult. I was able to pull over, turn off the car, and restart and it was fine again. I had the brake pads changed, but don't understand what is happening. We didn't have the problem for several months. But now it feels like the brakes want to give when I am idling in traffic. While my foot is on the brake, the car will squeak and subtly jerk forward like the brakes are about to give up the ghost. It's really scary, but I can't afford another car at this time. I've looked into the vsc system and don't understand why that would intermittently affect my braking and steering ability.

- Tomball, TX, USA