CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Oct 272016

Camry Hybrid

I was driving on a city street and got a check vsc system on the console and when a mechanic checked the problem, he gave the code - C1391 - abnormal leak in accuator, my brake lights are on, ABS lights are on, red triangle light is on.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 262016

Camry Hybrid

The ABS light and check vsc light and brake light went on. When I tried to apply brakes to stop, I realized that the brakes completely failed. The car was skidding and keep going and I pumped the brakes and still the car was moving forward. I came close to hitting another car and luckily stopped couple of inches from the other car. It keeps happening often and I am worried to drive this car as it is. It works fine and suddenly goes to this brake failing mode. Especially happen more often if it rains and making it more dangerous.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 182016

Camry Hybrid

While my car was in motion, my vsc system check light was on and almost simultaneously the check hybrid system light was on along with the check engine light. The car did not let me accelerate above 30mph.N and I could feel the friction while accelerating. I had to call roadside assistance to have my car towed.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Oct 182015

Camry Hybrid

While driving on city street, check vsc system warning appeared along with check engine/stability/antilock brake warning lights. Vehicle did not lose braking completely but did not feel normal and was brought to side of road. After restart was lights cleared and has behaved normally so far. Brought to dealer next day, unable to find problem.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Oct 112015

Camry Hybrid

Driving at 40 mph, check vsc system, brake, traction, warning lights came on simultaneously, vehicle experienced immediate loss of brakes and power steering. Needed to use emergency braking and down shift to bring car to complete stop. Was on Suburban area paved road and was going straight.

- Harleysville, PA, USA

May 012015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

When braking for a yellow stoplight. I lost all brakes and brake pressure. Several indicator lights including the ABS light as well as a message "check vsc system". there were no vehicles next to me so I was able to change lanes to clear traffic in oncoming turn lanes and pass through the intersection safely. The brakes reengaged at the next application of the brake. We drove the vehicle home and the event occurred at each stop, approx 10 occurrences, depressing the brake and failing with the errors above then redepressing to engage the system.

- Clear Lake, MN, USA

Apr 252015

Camry Hybrid 6-cyl

Braking went very soft. Check vsc system warning message appeared along with multiple dash light and additional error message to check hybrid system.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Apr 192015

Camry Hybrid

Check vsc warning indicator came on when driving my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid this afternoon. When that was on, my car was dragging as if the emergency brakes were on. So I drove very slow when this took place, in an attempt to get home since I was only a few miles from where I lived. In about 5-7 minutes, when I had stopped at a red light, this warning went off and the car worked as it normally has. When I got home and googled this for my car, a number of articles came up about a possible recall for this issue for 2007 Toyota Camry hybrids. Can you please advise on the status of the possible recall for this issue with this car?

- East Northport, NY, USA

Mar 202015

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On 20 March 2015, while starting the car, a warning indicator showed up on my instrument panel. The indicator stated ( check hybrid system.....vsc system ). I parked the car for the day. Day 2, I took the car to a auto shop and had a basic scan that reads ABS codes performed on the car. The basic scan reveled to "replace battery pack". two mechanics informed me while performing the scan, a burning odor was observed from the car. I drove the car home and parked it. I lastly observed the only information displayed from the instrument panel was " check hybrid system". the only lights on were the warning light and the engine light.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Feb 232015

Camry Hybrid

"check vsc system". brake system will not work properly. Must push very hard to get any braking. Then the vsc will engage and brake very hard. I experienced this one week ago; my wife experienced it this morning dropping of the kids to school. The car has a very dangerous jerking action as the brakes engage and disengage based on the computer.

- Canyon Lake, CA, USA

Jan 082014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Approx mid January 2014 while going down the hwy about 40 miles from home my vsc light came on and I lost almost all the use of my brakes, which really frighten me. I am single and have no family around to help. I got off the hwy and went very slow. The light went off before I got home and I didn't have another problem with it until Dec 2014 while going to work. The light came on and off twice before I got to work and I lost brakes use. Then it happen again first week Jan. 2015. It has happen twice recently and I'm getting worried about driving the car. You never know when it might happen and it is very dangerous. I looked it up on the internet and saw quite a few other people were having the same problem. I can't afford to have it fixed. I hope your investigation can help correct this problem before someone get hurt or worse killed. I has to be a defect in the vehicle if this many people are having this problem. Thank you for your time.

- Chickamauga, GA, USA

Dec 162014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was getting off of the highway. I started to decelerate and I lost a majority of my brake power. All of the lights on my dash came on, and my display said check vsc system. I pulled onto the shoulder was slamming on my brake since I had very little brake power at this point. I turned off my car and turned it back on several times. The lights stayed illuminated. I was 1/2 a mile from work at this point. I drove with my hazard lights on and took it slow to work. When I got to work and pulled into the parking lot, the lights went off.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Nov 012011

Camry Hybrid

Driving on the road, everything was normal, then my entire dashboard lights up with all the warning signs. The internal car displays vsc maintenance required, and I'm thinking I didn't do anything. I just got the car this year. There shouldn't be a problem like this. The brakes were very hard to press down on to even brake. I fee like the brakes just stopped working or the brake itself would let me brake as normal. Little shocked because I'd had crash into the driver in front of me. I started to drive very slow. Then the lights and warning signs went away, and my brakes were back to normal. I felt like it was just a computer glitch and started to drive normally again. After I did, the car again went off with the warning signs on the dashboard and the vsc display was on again stating maintenance was required one again. So I started to drive slow once again. Went to a repair shop they said my brakes were good, and that the car probably needed to get it check because of the hybrid system. This only happen during the summer. During the winter it goes off, to which I still felt like it was a computer glitch. Went to the dealer recently and they said that my accumulator needs to be replace. I asked how does something like this occur. The mechanic stated somewhere in the lines of it's a man made part so it's can happen from time to time. But in my opinion, if I did everything like I was suppose to do, this should not happen. The total repair for the part is $1892! that's with labor included! seriously, why does a part that is so important to the car that expensive"! and why doesn't Toyota report on this technical issue for their cars"

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Nov 132014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving all brake lights lit up on dash, "vsc check system" message showed. But the car seemed to brake fine, until I went to park. The brake went completely soft and the car continued forward motion until running into the curb. Upon restarting the car all the lights were back to normal. It happened again later in the day, lights come on, brakes fail. Luckily I was going very slowly and able to stop the car by pumping the brakes.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Nov 032014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving to the market at 40mph a series of warnings came on. The "check vsc system", the brake light, ABS, skid, parking light, and general warning light came on the dashboard and the car lost its braking power. I had to push down very hard on the brake and use the emergency brake to stop the car. So far it has happened twice. According to the Toyota dealership, there is no record of the errors or lack of brake power in the computer and they say they can't duplicate it. I am not driving it now because I am concerned about crashing.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 052013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Brake alert lights appeared on dash on night of 9/5/14 upon starting the vehicle. Read codes in owner's manual, and drove few blocks to home at slow speed (15 mph). On Saturday morning, 9/6/14, the incident occurred again when I was driving at about 25-30 miles per hour. Not only did the alert lights appear, but the brakes "bled" through to the floor, and it felt as if the car accelerated. Brakes worked only after pumping the brake pedal. I had the vehicle towed to service center. After diagnostics and driving for 90 miles over 4 days, the incident could not be replicated, nor did any codes appear on the computer. Vehicle was released after paying diagnostic fees. The incident occurred again on 10/2/14: Brake lights appeared on dash, the car felt it was accelerating, and the brakes failed temporarily. My foot bled through, I pumped the pedal before brakes began to work. The vehicle was towed to dealership. Again, diagnostics did not reveal codes nor was the incident able to be replicated. Dealership replaced the brake fluid reservoir according to Toyota corporate directions. Found info online that NHTSA cited 59 complaints of brake failure for 2007-08 Camry hybrids. Reported these incidents to Toyota corporate, who assigned a case no. Have not heard from corporate case mgr. Yet, but expect to by Monday, 10/06/14. Corporate said they do not offer a loaner vehicle while this is being addressed, but to ask dealership. Dealership said they could not provide a loaner vehicle.

- Manitou Springs, CO, USA

May 212014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Vehicle serviced 3/10/10 under Toyota 90L recall campaign. Dealership stated all systems functional upon completion. On 5/21/14, in safe road conditions and parking lot speeds <10 mph, driver applied brakes to vehicle in order to pull into parking spot. During braking, vehicle did not slow or stop, but accelerated at a high rate of speed, striking a parking berm and three other vehicles. Police report made; driver not cited but was advised to contact Toyota re brake failure and acceleration. Toyota was contacted; inspection was made by Bosch engineering. Toyota contends the incident is not a result of any manufacturing defect. Toyota provided a technical report containing engineering data without layman's explanation or proof of its contention. Toyota was found by the doj to have misled consumers and the govt regarding severity and "resolution: Of this issue. On 8/21/14 and 8/22/14 driver was contacted by Toyota with a second and separate recall notice #E0U, affecting the vehicle's brake reservoirs, in which clogging and/or low fluid levels "could cause additional warning lamps[...]to illuminate and front brake assist could be temporarily lost." The warning lamp in question did illuminate during the 5/21 incident. Legal counsel for driver has advised an independent review of the Bosch report and inspection of the brake reservoir; however, the vehicle was totaled and sold at auction by the insurance company's salvage agent. I have initiated an independent review of the Bosch report at my own expense. In light of Toyota's misleading conduct regarding recall campaign 90L and the subsequent recall #E0U, driver contends that Toyota is at fault for the events of 5/21/14.

- Lodi, CA, USA

Aug 272014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Was very hot outside for 3 weeks straight. On the way to the grocery store check engine light came on with the following 2 readouts on speedometer display: "check vsc" and "check hybrid system". instantly the hybrid part of the vehicle stopped working. Brakes changed feel and throttle became very delayed. When I pulled into my driveway and put the transmission into park, the engine started to knock. When I put into drive or neutral the knocking stops. The engine knocked hard in park position as if there are loose pieces of metal crunching. Ever since then, the car's hybrid drive doesn't work and check engine light is on, ABS light, vsc light P/S light, a red triangle light, and an orange circle with an exclamation point in it. We parked the car and we are not driving it until its fixed. We have 2 toddlers and we aren't going to risk driving it.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Aug 292014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving, 4 light appeared: The master warning light, the brake light, the ABS light, and the yellow warning light, along with the message "check vsc system". after this happened, I pulled over and turned off the car. Now when pressing the brake pedal to start the car, I hear loud irregular clunking sounds, and the green light on the power button doesn't light up for 2 seconds, indicating the car cannot be immediately started. Car drives fine, but I'm afraid the brakes will become faulty at any time.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 142014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving from work on the freeway when all of a sudden all my lights on my dashboard popped up, I lost traction control, and the notification panel started beeping check hybrid system and check vsc system. A few days later the vsc went away and then came back so I took it to a dealer ship where they spent 5 hours looking over my car and couldn't tell me what was wrong other then a monitoring system is bad or the battery is bad and quoted me for the system it would be $1700 and the battery around $4000.

- Minot, ND, USA