2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 292016

Camry Hybrid

Warning buzzer, brake, check engine, no cruise control, hard brake pedal to stop. I paid to the dealer to diagnostic, and the ABS actuator assembly with labor is almost us$1,700. Only something the sound of the buzzer and the lights turn off, and brake perfect. But must of the time, permanent noise and lights are on. To use the car is dangerous and noise no good for passengers. The problem start with vehicle in motion, in the city.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 242015

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, all the warning indicators illuminated and the brakes failed to respond. The contact also stated that the power steering failed and the A/C emitted hot air. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Brownwood, TX, USA

Aug 102014

Camry Hybrid

Upon starting vehicle a "check vsc system" warning message was displayed. The maintenance "!", "brake drum", "trac" and "ABS" warning lights illuminated. An obd2 code check was performed and a diagnostic code "C0210 rh rear speed sensor circuit" was returned. Authorized Toyota dealer/service replaced the right rear speed sensor and hub. Warning signals reset was attempted, but failed. Diagnostic code remained. Dealer proposed to begin replacing down-stream parts until code would be able to be reset. There was no guarantee that any of the replacements would correct the code or reset the ABS & stability systems. Aggressive conversation between the dealership and Toyota could not resolve the issue. The vehicle is without the safety of the ABS or traction control systems as long as the warning lights are on. Reviewing multiple internet sites concerning this Toyota vehicle related problem reveals numerous complaints and temporary solutions, which ultimately fail. It is surprising with the voluminous customer-logged complaints on this issue that Toyota has not deepened its investigation on how to correct the problem. It appears that they have determined that each complaint is in individual problem and therefore easily ignored.

- Bristow, VA, USA

Aug 242015

Camry Hybrid

The compliant is not the result of a direct issue, but upon visiting the dealer, was informed of a brake actuator replacement that needed to be done at over $1700 in parts alone - looking on the internet is appears as if Toyota had issued an extended warranty on this but I was never notified. Would have had it replaced earlier. Need some help and options.

- Brea, CA, USA

Jul 082015

Camry Hybrid

I was driving on the freeway one afternoon when all the indicators on my dashboard turned on and stated "check vsc system". I made an appointment with Toyota scheduled for August 2, 2015. After the indicators turned on, I was reversing out of a parking spot when I noticed an oncoming vehicle. I pressed the brakes but my car failed to stop, and I had to shift to park to prevent an accident. The Toyota serviceman informed me the brake actuator was the problem. He further claimed that this was not covered under warranty since the car had been in an accident 3 years ago and wanted to charge me $1,500. How can an accident 3 years ago cause my brake actuator to suddenly fail last month? I am unable to drive my car for fear of an accident; despite the accident Toyota should honor the lsc and fix the actuator instead of trying to charge me for a problem they caused in the first place.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

May 282015

Camry Hybrid

Vsc check engine error came on display along with check engine light, ABS, parking brake, traction control, and something else. I was coming off the highway and exiting the off-ramp when the car binged, all the lights came on, the check vsc came on and the brakes hiccuped. I was already pulling off the highway, so I turned onto a side street. Parked, and then restarted the car. The error came on again, but then went out.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

2008 Camry hybrid stopped at a gas station with car was in park. No one in car, car came out of park, rolled out of station, across first 2 lanes, then median, then 2 additional lanes and ended up in a tree in/near a school yard/property. Toyota had engineer review in early Sept. Toyota wrote letter in January that they refuse to further evaluate or be responsible for collision. An insurance agent at my carrier had exactly the same issue but her damage was below her deductible and she just had it repaired without telling Toyota.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Dec 032014

Camry Hybrid

While driving home from work my dash brake light went on. At the next stoplight I checked to see if the E brake had been depressed, it had not. One blck later while going about 35mph my dash lit up like a christmas tree, the ABS, slippery conditions light, red warning light and check engine light all came on as well as a warning to "check vsc" also my breaks went down to the floor and I was unable to stop right away luckily I was able to quickly pull into a, parking lot and coast to a stop. Had I needed to stop soon or been going faster there is no doubt in my mind this would have resulted in a crash.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Nov 222014

Camry Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

As the vehicle was being driven on 11/20/2014, "check vsc system" showed up on the multi-information display, and the master warning light, ABS light, slip indicator light, and brake system warning light (yellow indicator) came on. Vehicle braking performance seemed slightly diminished but still safe to drive. On 11/22/2014 I had to make a trip to town, and not knowing the severity of the warnings, used the Camry. While driving northbound at approximately 50 miles per hour, I indicated a right hand turn, and a westbound vehicle at a stop sign started turning from the road I was turning onto to drive North on the road I was turning off of. While attempting to slow down to make my turn, the brake performance was extremely poor. I was unable to slow down to a reasonable speed to make the turn and had to make my turn at a much higher than normal rate of speed to avoid colliding with the driver that was turning out in front of me. I finished my trip to town, allowing far more braking distance than normal, and returned home and left the vehicle in the garage. I checked the brake fluid level and it was within the normal range between min and max. This morning I contacted a local Toyota dealer for a service appointment.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Nov 112014

Camry Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

Check vsc system displayed and ABS, traction control, emergency brake and caution lights are on and the brakes are very slow to respond.

- Denver, CO, USA

Nov 032014

Camry Hybrid

While driving in city traffic, a number of indicator lights within the dashboard instrument cluster illuminated including the "brake" indicator, the yellow brake system warning indicator, the ABS indicator, and one other (master warning light?). at the same time a message displayed in the status screen within the instrument cluster showed "check vsc system." I immediately tried to pull off the road and slow down, and had to apply significantly more pressure to the brake pedal then typical. I could not slow as quickly as I expected. To avoid running into the car in front of me I pressed extremely hard on the brake pedal and was finally able to stop. I parked the car and turned it off, then restarted it. The same indicator lights and message displayed. I was able to drive the car home very slowly, but continued to experience difficulty braking during that drive home. Later that day when I restarted the car, the indicator lights and warning message did not display, and the brakes operated normally. I will contact the local dealership this week.

- Portland, OR, USA

Nov 032014

Camry Hybrid

Hard to press the brake pedal, warning lights, potential brake failure.

- Sryacuse , UT, USA

Sep 032014

Camry Hybrid

The ABS actuator failed. My local dealership seems unaware this is a know issue with my car. The repair cost so far is $1800. It seems from all research that there are options, but my dealership has not offered me any nor have the communicate well. Trying to get to the service manager today. They have had my car for 5 business days.

- Martiinez, CA, USA

Oct 152013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Original actuator had been replaced. Now, having more braking problems than before! dealership reset twice, problem is returning and dealership refuses to replace again, or reset. Brakes will grab and/or make loud 'clunking' sounds. Intermittent.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Nov 252013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

On Nov 25th, 2013 around 9:30pm I was driving home from work. A couple of minutes in to my driving my brake stopped functioning. I tried to slam the brake, but the car didn't stop. Thankfully, there weren't lots of car on the road. I drove on the side grass for few hundred yards and finally managed to stopped the vehicle. The next day, I took it to the near by shop and they suggested that I should replace the brake since the car wasn't able to stop. After spending $650 to replace the brakes and brake pads, I left the shop. After 6 months the check vsc system light came on. I took it to Toyota dealership and they told me that I've to replace ABS brake actuator and quoted me around $3700. I didn't have that much money to spend, so I started searching for alternative on the internet. That is when, I ran in to this site where people are reporting the issues that their 2007-2008 Toyota Camry hybrid are having. I would like Toyota to resolve this issue and fix my car. I need a way to get around and go to work. This is my only source of transportation and I need it on the road again as soon as possible. Thank you!

- Beltsville, MD, USA

Apr 112014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I have really good driving record with no accident & not even 1 ticket in the past 20 years before these 2 accidents & we've had the car for 6.5 years. 1st accident happened on 4/11/14 at 9:14am. Traffic was bad during the morning rush hour so all cars were travelling slowly. I was on fwy 5 heading S to the fwy 55 S ramp in ca. Matrix (1st car) suddenly stopped while all other cars were still moving forward. Equinox (2nd car) stopped & I immediately slammed my foot on the brake pedal. However, I didn't feel the car stopping at all & I thought I heard the engine roaring, but then thought it was only my illusion. Since the damage was only bumpers & headlights we just let insurance handled it & moved on with our life. However, I did start driving extra carefully after this incident. 2nd accident happened on 6/23/14 at 8:40am. Again, traffic was bad during morning rush hour. I was on jamboree in irvine, ca heading towards newport beach. I was waiting for the red light on jamboree at the 405 N bound exit intersection in the 2nd lane from left (total 4 lanes). There were already 2 accidents around there & light had just turned green. All cars were moving very slowly due to accidents nearby. Yukon had already pulled into the intersection & suddenly stopped. I was still behind the line with some distance & slammed on brake immediately but didn't feel the car stopping until hitting Yukon. I heard brake sound and engine roaring again while my foot was on the brake pedal. This time the roaring sound was clear compare to April accident. It was at over-path of fwy 405 so the road was a bit going uphill. Hybrid does not start fast at all so I am sure my speed was very slow. Car is determined as totaled because engine went under Yukon's spare tire hanging in the back. Toyota said hybrid has a black box that records data. Want to get access to the encrypted data if possible.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jul 022014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I purchased a 2008 Toyota Camry hybrid with 85,000 miles in July 2nd of 2014. Since I got this car from dealer in a auction first I went closes Toyota service center to change the oil and do the 85000 mile service so I can keep the car protected. And they tall me perform the maintain on it but they is waning light for ABS and another waning check vsc system they assume may be fault in computer system witch repair cost around $3000 and the advice me to return the cart dealer. I spend all my money in the buying the car so can't spend any more money. Then I contact the dealer but to return the car but they don't accept the car back. Since I didn't have any choice I start driving the car back to home. Suddenly nonstop buzzer sound came up along with the "check vsc system" /brake, hazard, warning, and ABS lights its middle of the freeway and I noticed that the brakes did not function properly. I try to push the brake pedal; it was just like a rock not moving a bit I thought I gone die. Luckily I able bring it to safe place. Now car is sitting in my home donżżT know what to expect next. I research the problem in the internet, notice so many-many 07- 08 Toyota Camry hybrid customers have the experience the same problem. Since many 07- 08 Toyota Camry hybrid customers experience this problem so I hope Toyota recall the ABS accumulator and fix before anybody get die or be critically injured. Thank you

- Burbank, CA, USA

Dec 212013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I applied brakes, all the warning lights came on and the car would not brake. I pressed the brake pedal as hard as I could an finally came to a stop. I got the car to walnut creek Toyota, California. They charged $150 and said there was nothing wrong...bring it in if it happens again (they failed to notify me that there were several other instances reported)..5-12-14. Same thing happened as I came down a freeway offramp. It took all my strength to stop the car just inches from another car. Walnut creek Toyota said nothing wrong and their regional Toyota technical team said the same...neither of them mentioned the numerous complains to the NHTSA. I could have been killed, or killed another driver. These cars should have been recalled and compensation to the owners...I wasn't going to drive, I was forced into "trading" it in for a not so great deal!!

- Alamo, CA, USA

Mar 052012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I have a 2008 tch with 53K miles and the vsc warning light, brake light and several others first appeared on a cold morning during a cross country trip from ca to nc. A complete loss of breaking at 40 mph is a scary thing!!! brought it to dealer. Cleared the code. Well, about a week later in raleigh the vsc warning light was on when we arrived and the dealer recorded code C1391, abnormal pressure inside the accumulator. The fix, a new ABS accumulator- with parts labor and tax just under $2700- because the part is not under warranty- only up to 3/36000! seems like it should be since this is a common issue with tch's. now I don't know what to do or who to believe!!! because I had no choice, I shelled out and had Toyota of apex, nc replace the part. Man was I mad! Toyota didn't step up and own this clearly defective part. Smartly, K I also purchased an extended warranty from a vendor. Well wouldn't you know about 14 months later my wife is driving with the kids and almost wrecked when the brakes went out, this time with no warning! diagnosis? C1931 again!!!! I couldn't believe. The same dealer Toyota of apex, nc told me the part was now $3200. I had them pull the history. They seemed genuinely shocked. Even put me in a loaner for several days and promised Toyota would take care of this one. Ha! shame on Toyota again- they said sorry. Part out of 12 month warranty... here's your bill for 3200. At this point, I knew it was time to get rid of this defective car before someone got seriously injured or even worse, killed. Two times Toyota refused to accept any responsibility, I'm sure it will catch up to them eventually.

- Garner, NC, USA

Jun 142014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Applied brakes in a panic stop on I-95, pedal dropped and check vsc light came on. Pedal was hard to manage for several miles after 1st incident. Pedal feel would rise and drop feeling like the car would not stop. When arriving home and pulling in the driveway brake pedal would drop and car felt like it was not going to stop going into the garage. Once inside garage I could hear what sounded like a pump constantly running. This is the first time I have heard this noise for this long since I bought the car. Whenever I approach the car with the key or open a door, this noise is heard for about 20 seconds, sometimes repeatedly. The car is currently unsafe to drive and parked in our garage! not sure what to do...

- Palm Bay, FL, USA