2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments

Nov 232015

Camry Hybrid

Excessive burning oil. Oil pressure light keep coming up on startup of car. The car burns a quart of oil a week. Driving roughly 250 miles a week.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Feb 172016

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that the vehicle revved abnormally and accelerated independently even when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 125,000. Updated 04/21/2016

- Wylie, TX, USA

Sep 092014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

All Toyota with 2azfe engines and their variants need to be recalled. There is an inherent problem with excessive oil consumption due to a design flaw in both the pistons and rings of the engines. This problem then leads to problems with the emissions systems causing catalytic converter failure, A/F sensor failure and oxygen sensor failure. Toyota has known about the excessive oil consumption oil issue for years and has corrected its design. But, those who were unaware of this problem and never informed of it by Toyota are left in the dark. My issue is that the oil consumption now affects the emissions system. It is increasing more difficult to rapidly accelerate due to the fact that this oil consumption has now ruined my catalytic converter and thus making acceleration at the proper rate impossible. I went to accelerate and my car couldn't do it properly, nearly causing an accident. Then I noticed my mil was illuminated. I had it checked and its a P0420 code. I have had the car diagnostically examined and now the car cannot meet the minimum threshold for the car's ECM to conduct a self test, thus illuminating the mil. I have heard of others running out of oil and seizing their engines during operation of their vehicles. This is unsafe. NHTSA and Toyota are both keenly aware of this issue, but nothing has been done to fix the vehicles that are already on the road. I went to my Toyota dealership where I purchased this vehicle new and the service representative said that Toyota will not fix these vehicles without the customer paying for the repair. The informal quote for the engine alone was $3500 alone, not including the emissions issues. This is an absolute disgrace. I hope you do something about this.

- Westtown, NY, USA

Apr 112014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I have really good driving record with no accident & not even 1 ticket in the past 20 years before these 2 accidents & we've had the car for 6.5 years. 1st accident happened on 4/11/14 at 9:14am. Traffic was bad during the morning rush hour so all cars were travelling slowly. I was on fwy 5 heading S to the fwy 55 S ramp in ca. Matrix (1st car) suddenly stopped while all other cars were still moving forward. Equinox (2nd car) stopped & I immediately slammed my foot on the brake pedal. However, I didn't feel the car stopping at all & I thought I heard the engine roaring, but then thought it was only my illusion. Since the damage was only bumpers & headlights we just let insurance handled it & moved on with our life. However, I did start driving extra carefully after this incident. 2nd accident happened on 6/23/14 at 8:40am. Again, traffic was bad during morning rush hour. I was on jamboree in irvine, ca heading towards newport beach. I was waiting for the red light on jamboree at the 405 N bound exit intersection in the 2nd lane from left (total 4 lanes). There were already 2 accidents around there & light had just turned green. All cars were moving very slowly due to accidents nearby. Yukon had already pulled into the intersection & suddenly stopped. I was still behind the line with some distance & slammed on brake immediately but didn't feel the car stopping until hitting Yukon. I heard brake sound and engine roaring again while my foot was on the brake pedal. This time the roaring sound was clear compare to April accident. It was at over-path of fwy 405 so the road was a bit going uphill. Hybrid does not start fast at all so I am sure my speed was very slow. Car is determined as totaled because engine went under Yukon's spare tire hanging in the back. Toyota said hybrid has a black box that records data. Want to get access to the encrypted data if possible.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Apr 022013

Camry Hybrid

The water pump on car has started to leak spraying coolant over the orange electrical wires in the engine compartment. This is a potential fire hazard. Also it can lead to engine overheating. One complaint has already been filed at this website by another customer. Toyotanation.com forum is filled with hundreds of complaints and pictures of similar nature and people have even posted pictures and instructions on how to change the water pump. I wish Toyota would have some honor respect for customer safety and acknowledge this grave problem.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 032013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The water pump failed resulting in engine over heating - potentially disabling vehicle.

- Newport News, VA, USA