2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 252013

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that when the brake pedal was depressed the vehicle vibrated. Additionally, the skid control and brake sensor warning lights illuminated. The contact had to brake with force to bring the vehicle to a stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the stroke sensor detector system needed to be reset. The remedy was implemented several times however, the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 45,757 and the current mileage was 51,000.

- Alexandria, MN, USA

Nov 232011

Camry Hybrid

Driving down the road all lights on dash appeared (ABS, trac, brake, check engine, master warning, check vsc system) with no warning and complete brake loss followed with it, then it would disappear and brakes functioned properly, seems temp related as it would only happen on cold days, and when car is cold early in the morning, during day when engine warm everything worked fine, tech could not find anything wrong with the car twice until left over night found out to be faulty brake actuator assembly. This is only related to Camry hybrids not prius or other Toyota hybrids, my whole family drives Toyota hybrids father in law and 2 brothers have priuses I also had prius for long time never had issue, now me and my wife switched to Camry hybrids and both Camry hybrids experienced same brake failure with faulty brake actuator, no coincidence, there is something unique about Camry hybrid brake actuator that makes it go bad in very dangerous way, problem occurs sudden and disappears without trace for technician to find out what's wrong " everything is fine car is safe to drive" is what they said, but in morning commute brakes failed again. I don't care the replacement part costs $1700 but its the same part that will fail again who know when. Toyota needs replace the actuators with ones that are on priuses or address the issue and redesign the unit.

- Sterling Heights , MI, USA

May 122014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While I was driving on the freeway a "check vsc systems" alert appeared followed by a loud noise. It appeared as if my emergency brake went on as well. As I drove, smoke came out from my car. I took my card into a repair shop and they said it was a miracle the brake and brake pump didn't set on fire. As a result, I have to pay $4000 for a new brake and brake pump (as well as labor). I called Toyota to tell them about this problem, but they said they do not cover it, even though many others have had the same problem as well.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 182012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on Sunday, March 30, 2013 I lost the power braking. This is the second time since that this happened. The first time was September 18, 2012. I was able to pull the car over safely but it was an extremely scary situation. Had I been on a highway at 55-65 mph I would have never been able to stop the car and would have likely caused an accident. A message appeared on my dashboard indicating to "check vsc system". several other lights were lit up as well including the word "brake". after doing some online research and finding out that this same thing was reported by other consumers I thought it best that I reach out to see if a recall is warranted.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Jan 152014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While pulling into parking lot the warning lite & display said vsc with two brake related symbols turned on & brakes lost its power assist. Was able drive home while driving slowly giving a lot of room to stop, made a appointment with Toyota dealership. Drove down was charged to troubleshoot they found the brake accumulator had internal failure, also was informed for that area of the car is out of warranty, so it would cost $4200 for parts & labor. I don't have that kind of spare coin sitting around. So I brought it home & parked it, I hope we can drive Toyota to make a recall. Brake hydraulic parts should last 100,000 miles.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Mar 202014

Camry Hybrid

My 2009 Camry hybrid with 79,000 miles had a complete brake failure. The check vsc system light and the check engine red triangle with exclamation point light came on after the brakes totally failed. There had been a buzzing/ hissing sound that is similar to the normal hybrid battery recharging sound but much more often - almost constant. Car had to be towed to the Toyota dealership as it was unsafe to operate, no braking power whatsoever. Pedal was rock hard. Dealer says it is the brake actuator and gave an estimate of $3000 to repair it! they claim to have no knowledge of problems with this, yet an investigation by the NHTSA was implemented in January of this year due to many complaints. This is an absolute safety hazard, had I been at highway speeds or in a congested area an accident would have occurred. Toyota needs to recall these vehicles and this model year - 2009 - needs to be included in the investigation.

- Sun Lakes, AZ, USA

Mar 182014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Backing out of parking space. Check vsc light came on. Check ABS, parking brake stayed lit, exclamation mark, and exclamation mark inside red triangle. Was able to drive car home, but brakes seemed to "grab" and not be as responsive. Will take car to mechanic tomorrow, but am reading that this may be a problem with 2007-2009 hybrids and wanted to report.

- El Cerrito, CA, USA

Dec 282011

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the brakes failed to respond to deceleration attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the ABS needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Imperial Beach, CA, USA

Jan 242014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

First incident: Temperature was extremely cold overnight. Parking brake light came on when I started car and remained on throughout my 10-minute trip. Brakes worked fine for 10 minutes though stop signs and red lights. I didn't drive over 35 mph the entire trip. When I arrived at work, I tapped the brakes to turn into the driveway. "check vsc system" message appeared, parking brake light remained on, ABS light came on, exclamation point light came on, one other warning light came on. I thought car had stalled because my brakes didn't seem to work so I coasted past the driveway. I stepped on the accelerator and noticed the car was still on so I slowly drove to the next driveway. I turned off the car, restarted it, and all the warning lights came back on. I slowly drove back to work and noticed the brakes worked albeit not very well. When I stopped the car in the parking lot, all the warning lights disappeared. Second incident: Temperature was extremely cold overnight. Parking brake light came on when I started car and remained on throughout my 10-minute trip. Brakes worked fine for 10 minutes through stop signs and red lights. I didn't drive over 45 mph the entire trip. I came to a red light and tapped the brakes. "check vsc system" message appeared, parking brake light remained on, ABS light came on, exclamation point light came on, one other warning light came on. Although the brakes worked in reduced capacity, I stopped in time but I was driving 25 mph. I was near a Toyota dealer so I slowly made my way there with all the warning lights illuminated and reduced brake capacity. All the warning lights disappeared shortly after I stopped the car in the dealer's maintenance shop. Dealer could find no history of either incident in the computer log.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Jan 272014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving "check vsc system" warning displayed along with several warning lights. At that time the brakes on the vehicle felt squishy and much less responsive.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 022012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving at safe speeds, sudden loss of power-brake assist. Vehicle could be stopped but required extra brake pedal force and distance. "check brakes" and "vsc" warning lights illuminated. This occurred a couple of times so vehicle was taken to local Toyota dealership. They could not replicate the problem but determined that most likely problem was the hybrid brake regenerating system and replaced the "brake stroke sensor". note that our Camry is a 2009 model--I recently read about this problem occurring in 2007 and 2008 model years.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

May 282013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Complete failure of braking system. Replaced at cost of $3,194.61.

Sep 092011

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Brake system failed. Car towed to beaman Toyota. Computer controls reflashed to reset braking system.

Sep 242010

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

ABS surging and fluctuating during stopping.

Nov 192009

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

ABS brakes have a surge. Right front tire skids in hard stopping.

Jul 082009

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Vibration and surging from brakes during hard stopping.

May 202009

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Brakes not fixed in previous service. Brakes still surging and pulsing during stops.

Apr 202009

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

ABS brakes not operating properly. Grabbing and causing one tire to skid.

Feb 272013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Streets wet and snowy vehicle surges without foot on gas. Check vsc light comes on. Checked out by molle Toyota who said unless it acts up while there, they can do nothing. 3-20-13. Streets only wet. Vehicle surges and check vsc light comes on. Have to keep foot on brake to put in garage. Afraid to drive car.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 252012

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Started vehicle in parking lot. Warning lights indicated vsc (vehicle stability control) problem, along with ABS problem. Put vehicle in reverse, slowly moved backwards. Brakes did not engage normally, only if the pedal was fully depressed. Took vehicle (slowly) to a nearby Toyota dealer. Part that failed is the stroke sensor, which controls the operation of the brakes. Had this failed at freeway speeds I am unsure that I could have safely stopped the vehicle or avoided a collision. This sensor is not covered under the powertrain warranty but I believe it should be as its failure is a serious safety issue. This part (according to the dealer) did not fail due to abuse, neglect or lack of maintenance.

- Fremont, CA, USA