2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 052016

Camry Hybrid

Unknown my vehicle was mobile, at the normal speed limit of 35mph on a city street, and all of a sudden there was a burning smell. By the time I found a safe place to stop my all the lights on my dash went on, with a whizzing sound coming from the front end of the vehicle.

- Avon, IN, USA

Oct 212016

Camry Hybrid

Driving at about 30 mph on a straight road 6am approx. 1 mile from my house. I applied brakes intending to make a left turn then vsc warning light came on and brakes did not work properly. No cars in front of me, had to push hard on the brake pedal to slow the car. I missed my intersection to turn. It is as if the power system to the brakes stopped working. I slowed enough to turn the car onto a sided street and pumped the brakes hard, it is still difficult to brake, but at least I know I have to apply heavy foot pressure to brake. Turned car off and back on again and vsc light came on again, then turned off after 1 minute and power braking returned to normal.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Jun 012015

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving 30 mph, the brakes failed to engage correctly when the brake pedal was depressed. When the contact depressed the brake pedal, a loud chirping noise was heard from the brakes and the ABS and vehicle stability control (vsc) indicator illuminated shortly afterwards. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that failure code: T1391 pertaining to the brake assembly and vsc failed and needed to be repaired. The failure mileage was 156,000.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Jun 252016

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving approximately 5 mph, the ABS, vsc, and brake warning indicators illuminated. The contact noticed that the brake lights remained illuminated on the rear of the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the skid control computer failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made of the failure, and a case was opened and sent to the manufacturer's legal division. The approximate failure mileage was 132,138.

- Concord, CA, USA

Aug 172016

Camry Hybrid

My 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid ecb has failed which causes braking issues and is a safety concern. There have been others reporting this to the NHTSA, but no action taken. Please force a recall as the whole braking system is at risk.

- Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Feb 252016

Camry Hybrid

This is the second time my check ABS system has come on. The first time the brakes were very hard to work and would hardly stop and grabbed. This was found to be a broken wire in in the rear of the car. Now it has happened again and this time they say it is the rear harness that is bad and it is not covered by warranty. Most of the 79 complaints are for these problems and there is yet to be a recall. This is nuts! does someone have to get killed before the NHTSA does anything. This is a major safety issue, its the brakes!!!.

- Atlantic Beach, FL, USA

Feb 022016

Camry Hybrid

This is the 3rd time that my check vsc system has come on. I was driving on the street and came to a light and my brakes locked and I couldn't stop right away. Lucky there was no car in front of me because I would have hit them. I had press hard on the brakes which causes the car to start bucking. This is very dangerous. I am looking to purchase another car because I don't feel safe in this car.

- Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA

Jan 022016

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that the brake pedal failed to respond, while driving at 30 mph. The vehicle had to be driven on a dirt road in order for it to come to D a stop. All warning indicators illuminated when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed as the actuator needed to be replaced and the sensor needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 93,000.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Nov 242015

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, the brakes seized as the vsc and the ABS warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred two additional times. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Carver, MA, USA

Sep 132015

Camry Hybrid

I have been feeling from last 2 or 3 days that my Toyota Camry brakes were not working right and they required additional pedaling to brake and somehow I was able to feel that it was taking extra time and distance to stop and was planning to show this to Toyota dealer today, I have talked about this during previous service with Toyota service center during my previous service & they told me everything was ok and my brake pads were good, but unfortunately my fears came true today then when I was driving 20-25mph and suddenly a car ahead of me almost 20-25feet ahead braked and I pushed hard to brake but I could feel it was not braking right or the hybrids braking system has failed and my car didn't stop in the right time and we hit the car ahead of us.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Jun 172015

Camry Hybrid

2009 Toyota Camry hybrid that has been serviced several times for brakes. Repeated requests to change brake pads, which was initially thought to be the problem but several mechanics have confirmed that this was not the issue. Contacted Toyota headquarters whom confirmed that there is no recall. Instead, owners are encouraged to visit their local dealer only if a dashboard warning brake light is lit, which was not applicable in my case although a degredation in the brake system was apparent. Toyota only sent a notice regarding the brake-fluid reservoir tank and no warning to consumers of a serious safety risk regarding a defective brake system that worsens overtime. Currently having a difficult time selling the vehicle due to same feedback/complaint of slow brake response, which worsens with higher speeds and/or sudden stops. Reports of extra effort in brake pedal application, strong vibration and noise when attempting to do a quick stop. This issue has resulted in three separate car accidents with three different drivers, wherein two collided with another vehicle and one struck an object, all within a 2-month period. Claims where filed under my insurance and all drivers were deemed to be at fault, but Toyota should be held completely responsible for the (1) defect, (2) failure to notify consumers of an urgent safety risk and (3) failure to recall, despite the number of similar complaints and accidents with NHTSA. Toyota's improper handling and failure to acknowledge a defect in their product warrants a class action lawsuit.

- Irvine, CA, USA

May 252015

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. After the vehicle was started, the brake pedal had to be depressed with force and all of the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the brake reservoir and ABS actuator were faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,500.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 142015

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving at approximately 20 mph, the lights on the instrument panel illuminated and the brakes failed when the pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake code C1247 stroke sensor needed to be recalibrated. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Itasca, IL, USA

Dec 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I started the car and everything seemed normal. I started accelerating down the street and the dashboard lights up with all kinds of warning lights. Mileage was between 69000-69450. The traction control, brake, master warning light, ABS and the center display said "check vsc system". I continued to coast until a nearby stop sign and when applying pressure to brake, to my horror the brakes had an almost complete failure. I immediately went home, less than a mile away and the brakes continued to malfunction the whole way. I was able to stop but only with severe pressure to the brake peddle which only produced slight braking. There was no accident. Coming back to the car the next day the warning dash lights were off and vehicle was working normal again. However, this also happened the following day halfway through a short trip across town. I took it to the dealer and they replaced a recall part, the brake fluid reservoir. They checked the computer for codes and these codes did not show up in the code history despite it being 2 days before. The problem has been intermittent and did not happen the day I took it in to the dealership. I explained to them the problems, sent them pictures of the dash lights I took from my phone, and printed out and gave them articles such as this: www.consumeraffairs.com/news/feds-investigate-braking-problems-in-Toyota-Camry-hybrid-012814.html but because they were not able to duplicate the problem they assured me the vehicle was working properly. They did fix the brake reservoir and I picked the car up today. Only time will tell if the safety of the vehicle remains. Thanks for listening. Updated 3/17/16

- Mesa, AZ, USA

May 282014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The warning panel indicated "check vsc system, " along with a loud beeping noise. My brakes went out completely and as I pumped the brakes the went down to the floor. The car slowed but did not come toa complete stop. In order to avoid hitting an 18 wheeler in front of me, I had to pull over to the side and grazed my car against the metal part of a railing. When I brought it to Toyota, they said it was a brake actuator and quoted me $3500 to fix the problem.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Dec 022014

Camry Hybrid

I have 2 complaints. 1) I was driving in local traffic when 5 warning lights appeared: Master warning light, brake warning light, electronically controlled brake warning, ABS, slip indicator. I was surprised but my brakes continued to work on the drive home & to the dealership the next day. The lights never went off (some other owners have reported the lights go on & off). I do not have cold weather conditions (50S in Dec). The dealership investigated & found it was consistent with the problem covered by the warranty enhancement program (pol14-04 or NHTSA 14001) for the brake actuator assembly & skid control ECU/brake pedal stroke sensor, & also an open recall on my car for a separate item with my brakes. My car symptoms were: When stopped at a light, the car would roll forward by inches unless I had my foot firmly depressed (knee locked); noises which sounded like air moving through tubing while braking; noises that sounded like a "pump" activating after my car had been turned off (up to 15 minutes). 2) Toyota has an open extended warranty (csc 10046281-9238) on the sun visor assembly & sun visor bracket including the 2009 Camry hybrid. My car has had this same problem for ~4 years: The driver's side sun visor will not fully go up & remain there. Most of the time it rests halfway down but from time to time it will come down with no warning. This blocks the driver's field of vision. What is frustrating is that I spoke to both the dealership & the Toyota customer service center who both agree my problem sounds exactly like the problem described in this extended warranty. However, the part number for my car (74320-33C11-B0) is not listed among the accepted parts number, and my VIN doesn't match the listed vins. I hope corporate Toyota will look into this and extend me the courtesy of repairing my sun visor! (dealer cost ~$250).

- Pearland, TX, USA

Nov 172014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. While driving 25 mph, a chime activated and the brakes warning light illuminated and the brakes failed to engage. The failure recurred and the vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Clifton , NJ, USA

Aug 132014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Dashboard on my 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid bought in Florida new has become a danger to driving do to the shiny and stickiness on the dashboard. Back in August 13, 2014 I noticed when driving in the daylight the glare from the dashboard distorts your view the problem it seems to be getting worse I called the Toyota dealership where I bought the car and I told the service manager the problem he said they know about it and there is nothing they can do.I went to a car detailing service and they said it is the worse they seen he also checked on the website for a solution, now it is up to NHTSA to force Toyota to correct the problem before some one gets killed.

- Beverly Hills, FL, USA

Nov 072013

Camry Hybrid

Vsc system warning light comes on, and the brakes become very "soft", nearly failing. This only happens when temperatures reach 50 degrees or below, and is quite common when it's around freezing or below.

- Prestonsburg, KY, USA

Aug 102014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The check vsc system warning came on along with ABS and brake light warnings. Out of the blue the car was very hard to stop. Was lucky to be in a parking lot at the time. Had the car towed home. The tow driver did not see the warning lights when he was getting the car in position to tow it. Check online and saw that many other people where having the same issue that I was having. I think the car is unsafe and a recall should be issued before people are killed.

- Lancaster, SC, USA