2001 Toyota Celica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Celica:

2001 Toyota Celica Owner Comments

Oct 172014

Just another burning oil complaint here. I bought this car as an alternative to my Tahoe for when I drive 1.5 hour away for work. I wasn't expecting to have to put in nearly a quart of oil with every trip. Seems to me like this piston issue is well known, well documented, heavily complained about, and that Toyota should do something about this. They have a reputation for producing engines that go 300,000 miles easily and ours are dying out at 150,000. Turns out one of my friends had the same year Celica and their engine gave out on them while driving in rush hour traffic in des moines. This could be fatal. How many hundreds or thousands of these cars out there that could just stop working at any moment, in any traffic condition, because of a known defect no one is doing anything about?

- Iowa Falls, IA, USA

Jun 012011

Celica 4-cyl

The engine makes a horrible ticking sound and consumes almost 4 quarts of oil for every four hundred miles I drive, so basically every time I fill up with gas I'm also filling my car with oil. When I first noticed this in 2011 I took it to a mechanic and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They said I could pay them to take apart the entire engine, but there was no guarantee they would find the problem. At first I would add an extra quart of oil every time I filled up with gas, but now this has progressively gotten worse - to four quarts for every four hundred miles. The engine light stays on all the time and just today it started flashing. There is absolutely no reason I should have to add this much oil every single time and just imagine all of the pollution going into the environment! this is definitely a quality related issue for Toyota. After doing some research about this car I have discovered that the 2000-2002 Celica GT's engines were made incorrectly and that its a manufactures defect. So because Toyota decided to skimp on making quality engines pretty much anyone who has one of these has to buy oil and gas and drives with the fear that the engine could possibly stop at any point and cause an accident.

- West Allis, WI, USA

Apr 102014

I purchased a Toyota Celica 2001 with a 1zz-fe engine in may of this year 2014 after another driver totaled my car. It got a fresh oil change from pepboys and consumed the oil in about 3 weeks. This has caused the engine to create a loud constant knocking sound over time which is any time I'm not going over 40 mph and after doing more research online I see that it is a known issue with the engine and the only permanent solution is to replace it with an 03-05 model 1zz-fe engine. I have since been to a mechanic multiple times who recommended I replace the rods to "buy some time" until it dies and the anxiety of it dyeing along with the sound its making is enough to cause an accident. I researched online and found out Toyota had used undersized pistons and oversized rings to compensate in the 1zz-fe engines from 1999-2002 corolla and Celica's, causing them to drink the oil at a very high rate after so many miles. Also that a lot of people have this issue. There are many 2000-2002 Celica for sale online with blown motors due to the same issue. I commute to work and back which is less than ten miles away. I do not have the money for this as I am 24 and taking care of my disabled mother and trying to get back in school. I had the car less than a month before it started having issues and have records of the oil changes it has gotten since the first owner. Please look into this and recall this engine.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

May 012014

Celica 4-cyl

1zz fe engine oil consumption issue burning 1L per full tank weekly depending on how I drive failure to top up weekly would result in massive engine malfunction and seize or blow can cause serious accident may not last on hwy at 100km/hr for more than 2-3 hours straight without stopping oil is expensive.

- Sudbury, NY, USA

Mar 202012

Celica 4-cyl

I have a 2001 Toyota Celica GT, about 10,000 miles ago I took my car in for an oil change and they said that my oil was a qt low. So I took note. The other day my engine sounded different, so I pulled over at a gas station and checked the oil. There was no oil on the dip stick. I bought a qt, put it in and drove to work. When I checked it again, I was still unable to see oil on the dip stick, I put another qt in. I dove home and checked again, I could just see the oil on the bottom of the dip stick, I put another qt in. This brought it almost to the full line. I checked for oil leaks under the car and found no visible area that the mass amount of oil leaked out, I burned it. I did some research and found out that 00-02 Toyota Celica gts have this problem and that its a manufactures defect. It was addressed and fixed in 2003. I also found out that in europe, all of the 00-02 Toyota Celica gts have been recalled for the same problem. I called our local Toyota dealership and asked if there was a recall and they said no. I then asked what needed to be done to fix this problem, Toyota said that I needed to replace my engine out of pocket. I asked about the recall in europe, the tech said he knew about it. I also called the usa Toyota head quarters and made a complaint, they said my car wasn't under warranty so they wouldn't help me in anyway. I estimate that my 2001 Toyota Celica GT burned a qt of oil every 800 miles. When I found that my oil was that low, I feared not only for my safety but for my passengers and others on the road. What if I had burned all of my oil and my engine froze up. I could caused a fatal accident? my engine has tremendous loss of power because of this issue. I could bog out crossing a highway and cause an accident. The worse part is my car is polluting the environment with hydro carbons. I am stuck with it, it wont pass emissions.

- Arcata, CA, USA