Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: There must have been something in the water at the plant where they built the eighth generation Corollas, especially the 1998 and 1999 model years.

Outside of airbag problems being reported to NHTSA, this is about as dependable a car as you’ll find. But good luck finding one; owners say they want a new car, but can’t justify trading in their Corolla because the darn thing just keeps rolling.

1998 Toyota Corolla seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Toyota Corolla:

1998 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Nov 072006

Corolla 4-cyl

On 11/7/2006 I was involved in an accident where my vehicle 98 Toyota Corolla rear ended a cement truck. The speed at which my car was traveling was 25-35 mph. The air bags did not deploy, my seat belt did not lock and because of this my chest hit the steering wheel. I visited the urgent care the same day and as a result of the accident I suffered strained ligaments and muscles in my neck and back and a bruise and scrape on my chest. I am still suffering.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 012003

The driver's seat belt fastener latch is defective. It is no longer latches, enabling the driver to use the seat belt.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 012003

Corolla 4-cyl

The air bag and seat belt light illuminated on the dash board, also when a sudden stop was made, the seat belt did not restrain the consumer properly.

- Appleton, WI, USA