3.2

2001 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Corolla:

2001 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Aug 132006

Corolla 4-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle had faulty equipment which caused engine oil to leak. The oil light never illuminated which resulted in the engine dying and the vehicle needing a new engine. The vehicle was not taken to a service dealer.

- Mountainside, NJ, USA

Aug 012005

Corolla 4-cyl

Contacts stated the check engine light came on August 1, 2005, consumer took the vehicle to an independent mechanic, and they replaced two different oxygen sensors. Now, the light came back on again and stayed on. Took the vehicle back to the independent mechanic, they put in new spark plugs. They said it could be a lot of things. It had stayed off a few days. However, the check engine light stayed on and consumer was taking the vehicle to the independent for the fourth time. The Toyota dealer had not checked the vehicle.

- Newark, CA, USA

May 072004

Corolla 4-cyl

I am writing regarding an issue with my 2001 Toyota Corolla. I recently had my check engine light come on. I need to replace an emissions control device in my car, a charcoal canister due to it being clogged or maybe a vacuum leak. I am concerned that this may be a wide-spread problem because on the day that I had my car for an estimate, I met another person at the Toyota service station with the same issue and who also had a 2002 Toyota Corolla. However, fortunately for her she was still under warranty so she did not have to pay for the repair. The warranty for this part is 3 years or 36,000 miles. Unfortunately for me, I was at the 42,000 mark on mileage and so I was out of warranty. My concern is how many clogged charcoal canisters had to be replaced in the 1998-2002 model of a Toyota Corolla. A friend of mine did contact the U. S. department of transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and filed a report regarding the failure on this part and hope that others would do the same. Do I am doing ti as well. Overall, I also feel that an emissions control device should last longer than just two years. My family has owned several different models of Toyota automobiles over the past 15 years and we have never had to replace such a device. The Toyota Corolla model, being a modest car, should not require to replace a $300 part every two years that is needed to keep our environment clean. I read somehwre that warranty on emisiions are 80,000 is this correct?

- Garfield, NJ, USA

Jul 152003

Corolla

Due to engine sludge, the engine was not lubricated enough to keep the seals intact. Now oil is getting into the spark plugs causing misfire. Diagnostics resulted in a total engine replacement (engine cost not including labor) $5,000. Toyota should cover this, the rental car needed in the interim, and extend the warrantee to 120,000 mi covering similar repeated problems, as it is a manufacturer defect.

- Falls Church, VA, USA