8.0

$1,350.00

1. replace catalytic converter (3 reports)
2003 Toyota Corolla exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Corolla:

2003 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Sep 172015

Corolla

My Corolla failed emission test today, catalytic converter and evaporation check not ready. I have the check engine light on for the last 4 years, the driver side seat belt sign is on even when the belt is on. Do not know what to do with the emission test, heard very expensive to repair the catalytic converter, no wonder people steal it

- , Chicago, USA

Jan 012004

Corolla CE V4

I bought this car in 2004. It was 1 year old at the time. The check engine light has been on ever since. I took it to the dealer to have them figure out what was wrong, but they said it wasn't under warranty and that it wasn't a big deal, it was just an O2 sensor. The car has ran fine ever since. It gets me where I'm going and it's never had a major mechanical problem. Fast forward 7 years. I move to a state that requires auto inspections (aka - money making racket for the socialist, liberal, treehugging pigs). Guess who fails the inspection? Apparently, the catalytic converter does not work. I guess it has never worked since my check engine light has been on for 7 years. Personally, I don't care if I'm depleting the ozone. It's my God-given right as a tax paying American. But I'm not quite sure who to be more angry with: Toyota for selling me a defective car or the government for forcing their bullsh!t ideals on me.

- , Flower Mound, TX, USA

Sep 092008

Corolla LE 1.8L

Not very happy about this I cant fork out 1500 dollars for a new catalytic converter they should have have to replace it's piss poor manufacturing ,not to mention they want to rip you off to replace it.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 192008

Corolla CE 1.8L

Same thing happened to me and it sucks. My check engine light has been on for about 6 months on and off. My car just failed emissions so my tags are expired until I can get it fixed. Catalytic converter error and evaporation issue came up on the computer at both the emissions dept and my auto mechanic. Check the 8 yr warranty on- excessive sulfur dioxide odor which is tied to the catalytic converter. It costs around 1,200 to fix and is unreasonable. I'm going to contact Toyota to find out more about it. It's a known problem

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA