2003 Toyota Corolla seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Corolla:

2003 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 12 of 14)

Mar 022014

Corolla 4-cyl

Right after the car was hit, the passenger airbag exploded, breaking the front windshield and hitting the driver in the head causing a cut of 7 stitches, and catching on fire. Airbag never inflated.

- San Lorenzo, PR, USA

Jan 142014

I received a safety recall followup notification in early January 2014 regarding the front passenger airbag inflator module issue. I never received the first notice for this recall. I made an appointment with the westchester, NY Toyota dealership to have my car evaluated and dropped it off on January 14th. I got a call the next day saying that I would need to have a part replaced and that I would be given a rental free of charge (besides the $100 deposit) however, I declined the rental. Several days went by without a word from the dealership so I called to followup. They informed me that the part was not yet shipped out and they would call back with any updates. I asked if I could have my car back until the part came in but they informed me that since this is a safety issue I cannot have my car back. The rental was offered to me again. A week later I got another call telling me again that the part was not yet shipped. It is now March has nearly been two months since I dropped my car off. I spoke to the dealership again and they said the part is on national back order and the do not know when this part will be shipped or when my car will be fixed...I understand they are offering me a rental, however, I am paying to have my vehicle on the road and I do not want the added pressure worrying about having a rental in my possession. If this recall has been going on for so long this part should have been produced in enough quantities to fill the orders properly.

- Hastings On Hudson, NY, USA

Jan 092013

Corolla 4-cyl

I met with an accident in January 2013. It was really bad accident and my car got totaled. My air bag didn't open up. Now I am receiving this letter from Toyota that there is some defect in airbags of 2003-2004 model. What am I suppose to do when I already met with this horrible accident? will appreciate your response. Thank you

- Cordova, TN, USA

Feb 062013

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Corolla. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V133000 (air bags) but was unable to have the vehicle repaired because the part was not available. The contact stated that the recall repair had surpassed a reasonable time for repair. The contact had been waiting one year to have the recall repair performed. The manufacturer was not contacted. In addition, the contact stated that the check engine warning light was illuminated. The contact was not aware if the failure was associated with the recall campaign. The VIN was not available.

- San Lorenzo, PR, USA

Jan 312014

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Corolla. While driving 40 mph, the contact stated that the driver's side air bag inadvertently deployed. The air bag deployment caused the driver to rear end another vehicle. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not inspected nor was the failure diagnosed. Both the driver and passenger sustained bruises. The manufacturer was not made of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 242014

Corolla 4-cyl

I was driving and was in the process of coming to a stop when the airbags deployed and I was knocked out. I was the only one in the vehicle when both airbags deployed and caused extensive damage to the car.. I ran into something which caused and caused more damage on the outside and right tire.. I have never been in any accident before or have I had issues with the car prior to this.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 132014

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving 45 mph and crashed into another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy however, no one was injured. On a second occasion, the contact was completing a turn and crashed. The air bags failed to deploy and two passengers sustained injuries. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not taken for inspection of the air bag failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the recurring air bag failure. The failure mileage was 165,040.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Dec 012013

The contact owned a 2003 Toyota Corolla. The contact was traveling 35 mph and became involved in a crash. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained bruising from the crash. The vehicle was towed to a salvage yard but was not inspected or repaired. The vehicle was deemed as destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 164,000.

- Parker, CO, USA

Sep 012013

Corolla 4-cyl

2003 Toyota Corolla. Consumer writes in regards to defective air bag recall notice. The consumer stated she received a recall letter regarding an air issue. The air bag light had already illuminated. When she arrived at the dealership to have the problem rectified, she was informed in order to correct the problems, she would have to pay $384.16. The consumer provided an invoice, that showed the sensor and harness were replaced. However, the air bag light was still on. According to the invoice, the spiral cable needed to be replaced.

- Austell, GA, USA

May 012013

Corolla 4-cyl

This is the second recall notice that I have received concerning the air bag recall. I immediately responded back in the spring 2013 (apprx.) when you sent the first recall notice. I called the dealership namely, jim bishop Toyota located in tuscumbia, Alabama at the following address; 122 highway 43 South, tuscumbia, Alabama, 35674; phone number (256)383-3611. I called and set up an appointment to come in and have them fix the problem. This vehicle is my sole mode of transportation so I was hoping that the problem would be resolved quickly. I left my vehicle early one morning and it stayed overnight and late into the evening this next afternoon. Basically 2 days. I called to check to see if my vehicle was ready. They had not even touched my car. Two days without ones vehicle for it to not even be looked at. Really" the only time it was moved I believe in those 2 working days was when they pulled it out of the bay in order to move in newer vehicles ahead of mine. I went to the dealership and picked up my vehicle. Then, on top of that, they seemed to care less that I was not getting my vehicle air bag replacement. They said they had ordered it and that it was on back order. Without a phone call to say as much. They said they would call me to let me know when it came in. Today is October 26, 2013. Its been approximately 5 months and not a word. I go to my mailbox this morning and there is my second recall notice for my airbag. What is a person to do when they try to do the right thing as far as taking their vehicles in to have the repair done and the dealership drops the ball" I want this to serve as an official notice of complaint. I trust that you will, after receiving this complaint, contact them and ask them why my vehicle was not repaired. Thank you in advance for you prompt attention to this urgent matter.

- Tuscumbia, AL, USA

Oct 092013

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under a manufacturer's recall for the air bags. The airbag warning lamp illuminated shortly after having the recall service performed. The vehicle was not taken for diagnosis or repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 106000. Updated 03/31/14 the vehicle is being repaired by the consumer. Updated 04/01/2014

- Covington , GA, USA

Oct 182013

Corolla 4-cyl

The vehicle in front was turning to the left and decided to make a U-turn and hit front to front left.

- Campobello , SC, USA

Sep 262013

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Corolla. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V133000 (air bags) in the mail several months ago and stated that the dealer informed him the parts were not available for the repair. The manufacture was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 11/15/13 the consumer stated the dealer fixed the vehicle. Updated 11/21/13

- St Cloud, FL, USA

Sep 142013

Corolla 4-cyl

Leaving a stop light on a highway going approximately 30 to 35 mph. The driver and passenger airbags deployed with no collision, bumps, or road construction.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Jul 202013

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Corolla. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V133000 (air bags) and the vehicle was taken to the dealer for service. The air bag warning light illuminated after the repair. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Saugus, MA, USA

Aug 202013

Corolla 4-cyl

I received a recall on my airbags a few months back. I took it to dealership last week and was told that there were two parts recalled. The dealership fixed those but then told me that my airbag light will stay on because I also need a new spiral cord which is not recalled. They wanted $500 bucks! after reading multiple complaints for the same thing, I am outraged that people have been hurt over this issue. The airbag either won't go off when needed, or it can deploy at any given moment. As you can imagine, I am terrified to drive my car knowing that it could go off at any moment. I feel like its a ticking time bomb. I have always raved about Toyota and what great cars they have and that I would never drive anything else. After calling the customer care line, I soon realized that they don't care at all. The rep was rude, and basically said that there was nothing she could do. This is a safety issue and can hurt people! I will never purchase another Toyota again..and I have informed my family that if I die in an accident from this issue, that they go full force after Toyota. They don't care for the owners well being. I am not the first to complain about this and won't be the last. Lets pray nothing happens to me or anyone else.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

May 082013

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while starting the ignition, the air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 3V133000 (air bags); however the remedy part remained unavailable. On a separate occasion, the vehicle accelerated unexpectedly when the gear was shifted into reverse. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 8,641.

- Sunny Asles Beach , FL, USA

Jun 262013

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Corolla le. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 13V133000 (air bags), however the part needed to complete the service was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified and they were unable to provide an expected date for the remedy part to become available. The contact had not experience a failure.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Jul 072013

Corolla 4-cyl

I was notified three months ago that there was a problem with the air bag system in my 2003 Toyota Corolla. I was told the air bag would not deploy in an accident. I immediately brought the car to the Toyota dealership. The dealership stated the part to correct the problem was not available. They would notify me when the part came in. I have since called the dealership several times with no success and months have passed. Although the problem is serious and could be fatal to the individual driving the car there seems to be little concern from Toyota. There is no justification that months have passed and the problem cannot been corrected. The problem is dangerous and should have been given immediate attention. How long must a owner wait until they can safely drive their car?

- Margate, FL, USA

Apr 152013

• 8,505,242 miles
I own a 2003 Corolla and took the car in for an air bag safety recall on 4/15/13 and still do not have my car. I have been offered no assurances that my vehicle will run the same as when I dropped it off for the recall. I am concerned that with the car's age and the fact that it has been sitting at the dealership for over 11 weeks now that my car will not run as well as it did prior to me taking it in for the recall over 11 weeks ago. I need to know what recourse I have if I have problems related to the car not being driven for over 11 weeks are apparent when and if I ever receive my car back. Is Toyota allowed to just keep my car indefinitely" how long can they hold my car without some type of compensation"

- Tallahassee, FL, USA