2004 Toyota Corolla brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Corolla:

2004 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Jan 012011

I drive a 2004 Toyota Corolla and I have had many incidents of unintended acceleration. In every case it has been in winter, which is when I wear large soled boots. It is simply a matter of the brake being placed too close to the accelerator so that if I step on the right side of the brake my boot simultaneously depresses the accelerator. My car is manual transmission so there is also a clutch. I don't know if the brake and accelerator are particularly close together in a manual transmission model. I have never had an accident but it is somewhat alarming when it happens and I can imagine someone who does not understand why it is happening having an accident. Or I could too -- the natural response upon unintended acceleration is to continue depressing the brake, which in this case just continues the acceleration. I am including a date below because it is required to send the form. In fact I have no idea of the dates but it happens a couple of time per year.

- Erieville, NY, USA