2004 Toyota Corolla seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Corolla:

2004 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 9 of 10)

Nov 012014

Airbags failed to deploy in a accident with hard impact to the front of the car.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Oct 242014

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V312000 (air bag). However, the part needed to remedy the vehicle was unavailable. The contact believed that the manufacturer had exceeded the reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Shoreline, WA, USA

Oct 282014

Corolla 4-cyl

Pursuant to Toyota's website, a recall exists for my VIN which states, "in the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the front passenger's frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the passenger seat occupant or other occupants." A related article on NHTSA's website indicates that owners of cars with such a recall are "urged to take immediate action." The recall date was nearly five months ago (June 10, 2014). I called the local dealer (Toyota of manhattan) to ensure that if I brought the car in, a replacement part was in stock, and they told me the car would be repaired if I brought it in. I brought the car in the following day (10/28/14) and was advised hours later that there is no remedy yet for this recall. This was confirmed by a call to Toyota, who told me, contrary to the information linked to my VIN on their website, that this doesn't affect my vehicle. Toyota (and all other companies using the defective air bags at issue) should have a remedy available for all owners of affected vehicles, and should provide consistent information between their website, dealer service shops, and phone centers. The dealership wasted hours of my time by telling me I could bring the car in, and Toyota doesn't have a fix for a major safety issue affecting hundreds of thousands of cars.

- New York, NY, USA

Oct 232014

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V312000 (air bags). The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The contact was informed that the recall repairs were only being done in selected states at the time. The contact was advised to continue checking for when his state would begin repairs and not to have anyone sit in the passenger seat. The failure mileage was 60,000...updated 12/04/14

- Henderson, NV, USA

Dec 072012

Corolla 4-cyl

Our airbag light came on, and we had the car checked by airbag service of Utah. They found that the spiral cable was defective, so a new part was ordered and replaced. Toyota recalled vehicles with the same spiral cable issue, but only beginning with model year 2005. Ours is a 2004 model, and we feel that the expenses we put into replacing this part should be reimbursed as part of the recall issues.

- Harrisville, UT, USA

Jul 192014

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated the air bag warning indicator illuminated on the instrumental panel. The vehicle was taken the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the driver air bag needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- New Berlin, WI, USA

Jun 232014

I received a second safety recall notice for my Corolla, I scheduled the appointment with autonation Toyota in leesburg for Monday, June 23. When I made the appointment a week earlier, the mechanic even put me on hold to check his inventory to see the par is available. When I showed up, they told me that Toyota has put a hold on this recall. Is that correct" I asked them why didn't they call me and let me know" they didn't seem to know.

- Hamilton, VA, USA

Mar 202014

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the air bag spiral cable needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 165,000.

- Bailey , CO, USA

Mar 072012

Corolla 4-cyl

We have received our 4th notice to check our airbags. We just got the car back about two months ago and got another letter to bring our car in to check the car airbags. The 3rd time it was the same. We lost the use of our car for a day and was told there was no need to fix anything. Since repairs are only done during the week when I work this check is very inconvenient. The checks were done in the last few years with no changes and no repairs done. For the whole dealership, I was told there is just one person who can do this check. Appointment must be made two or more months in advance. I am wondering why this same procedure keeps repeating with no remedy. My wife who takes in the car is not given a ride back home or ride to the dealership and must find her own way to and from the dealer.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Nov 192013

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number 13V133000(air bags). The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and the repairs were completed however, the air bag sensor light was illuminated. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. There were no further repairs made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 156,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 022013

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number 13V133000 (air bags) several months ago and was informed by the manufacturer that the remedy had not been finalized. There are no failures at this time.

- Sanford, MI, USA

Jan 012013

Corolla 4-cyl

Nearly a month after hearing about recall on news, called my local Toyota dealership. They told me I had to wait for the recall to be mailed to me. After receiving the recall notice in the mail, I promptly took my car into the Toyota dealership where they told me my car is one of few that need the entire computer replaced and it would have to be ordered. It has been two months since and all I get from the dealership is, it is on backorder. Received safety recall notice (interim) in mail from Toyota, June 15, 2013. Called customer experience center at 1-888-270-9371, was answered in a lazy individual who with just the year and make of the car said the parts are not ready yet. Is my car safe" should it continue to be driven" when will the defective parts/computer be replaced.

- Wellington, CO, USA

Feb 222013

Corolla 4-cyl

The contacts owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving 25 mph and crashed against a van that was exiting from a side street. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver and the front passenger sustained concussions from the seat belt and suffered whiplash. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign 13V029000 (air bags: Inadvertent air bag deployment) after the crash had occurred. The failure and current mileage was 120,000...updated 06/17/13

- Cincinnati , OH, USA

Apr 012013

Corolla 4-cyl

I have received recall letter from Toyota to fix the SRS electrical issue. I went to the Toyota dealer and they fixed the issue. But I am able to hear the electrical noise after the fix also.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Apr 052013

Toyota issued out a recall on my vehicle. The recall was on 03-04 Corolla's and the issue is that the airbag could deploy at any moment or in the event of an accident it would not deploy. They fixed the computer, sensor assy, the airbag it self and the harness. However, they would not replace a cable(knowing that this part was a faulty part) since they said it wasn't part of the recall. Now with this cable its called spiral cable, the reason why it needs to be replaced as well because it could send the wrong signal and still deploy my airbag with out being in an accident or not deploy in the event of an accident. To me they didn't fix the issue.Toyota advise me over phone that my vehicle was outside their warranty they said that they wont be able to replace that part and its up to me as the customer to pay for it out of pocket. What makes me upset is that Toyota knows this part was faulty and should be part of the recall but yet they fail to include it in the recall. What happens, if im driving and the cable sends the wrong signal and the airbag deploys. I could hurt myself, my passengers and other drivers. The damage could be high since they're many drivers that drive Corollas. I believe you need to act on this since it could hurt drivers, which can cause insurance rates to increase which can cause drivers to drive less in return hurting the economy.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Feb 082013

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle until crashing into a parked vehicle at 30 mph. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the neck and the vehicle was towed to the dealer for repairs. The dealer inspected the vehicle and could not determine what caused the acceleration failure. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileages were 70,000.

- Birmingham , AL, USA

Apr 242011

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while attempting to decelerate, the brakes failed to function. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear end of another a vehicle. There were no injuries. The contact also stated that upon impact, the air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000. Updated 01/29/13 the consumer no longer has possession of this vehicle. Updated 01/30/2013

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 102012

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, she crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact sustained minor injuries from the impact. The air bags failed to deploy and a police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was not inspected in order to determine the cause of the air bag failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 186,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Sep 162011

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The contact was involved in a crash however, the air bag failed to deploy. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. No repairs were performed. The current and failure mileages were 86,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 012010

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, she drove over black ice and crashed headfirst into a drain culvert. The vehicle was flipped onto its roof. The air bags did not deploy. The driver sustained a fractured rib cage, injured bladder and a concussion. The passenger sustained whiplash. A police report was available. The contact and passenger were transported to the hospital via ambulance. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 201,000.

- Lake Placid, NY, USA