8.7

$2,767.00

1. replace transmission (3 reports)
2004 Toyota Corolla transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Corolla:

2004 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Sep 072012

Corolla CE 1.8L

For 1-2 weeks I was hearing a grinding noise when in gear only. At first, I thought it was the transmission and I was right. While driving on the highway the noise started to become louder so I downshifted and then the car started blocking. After I stopped it wouldn't go in any gear... everything was jammed. Took it to a local garage and ending up paying 2800 $ for a used tranny and a new clutch. This is my last Toyota my next car will be Ford or Honda

- , Blainville, Quebec, canada

Apr 092012

Corolla CD 1.8L

same old toyota manual problem. slight noise for a few weeks, dealer can't find problem, says drive the car. Bam!, the tranny fails completely. Waiting on a used tranny to be shipped. No more corollas for me.

- , Stockbridge, GA, USA

May 142009

Corolla LS V4

I have had no real troubles with my car until now. As a back story, I bought my corolla used from a dealership about two years ago. It had 50K for mileage and I have added a substantial amount of mileage in the past year due to a much longer commute to work. For a while now, I had noticed the sound of the engine was much more pronounced/loud then when I first bought the car. I assumed it was related to the car getting older. I have taken care of this car and felt I was safe. I took comfort in the fact that I had arguably the most reliable / everlasting car in the industry. I was apparently wrong. I was in fifth gear yesterday heading to work when all of a sudden I heard some sort of noise and before I knew it, there was a loud grinding noise and vibration that I could feel in my stick shift. That was the death of my transmission.

Long story short, I needed an entirely new tranny and opted to replace the clutch as well. The overall costs were $3,000 and change. The repair tech said it was like a grenaid went off inside the transmission. I still cannot believe this just happened and at a time where money does not exactly grow on trees. I truely am at a lost for words and I am sure anger will soon set in if it has not already done so.

- , Allston, MA, USA