2005 Toyota Corolla brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Corolla:

2005 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Jul 012013

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the electronic stability control light illuminated. The contact stated that the solenoids valve had malfunction due to the shavings from the transmission. As a result, the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Apr 102010

I was driving my Toyota Corolla 2005 on the 395 highway, when I tried to pass a truck because the conductor was driving too slow, then when I press on the accelerator the car started to shift harder and I almost had an accident and I got force to get out from the highway spinning on the dirt, in a few seconds after that!, the check engine light came on, I was soo scared that I took the Corolla to the dealer but they said that there was a malfunction with the computer and that the computer is not cover and that I have to pay for it because I"M over 80,000... but they knew about the problem already I just want to report this so you can do an investigation with the Corolla computer, I don't think this is right that we have to pay for a computer!!! when they are the ones selling junk cars. I will never ever buy a Toyota anymore now the cars they sell are junk and to dangerous for the other people on the road, hope that this problem won't happen to anyone and that you people check on that asap. The error code I got was P2716 and is a computer malfunction. Thank you.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Mar 182010

Details: At 169,542 miles my 2005 Toyota Corolla's check engine light came on & developed harsh / jerky automatic gear changes (park to first and while driving, first to second). The dealer diagnosed this as a faulty engine computer based on code P2716. Replacement of the module corrected the problem at a cost of almost $600 for the computer itself + labor. I was told this is a known issue with the 2005 Corollas.

- Wilkesboro, NC, USA

Sep 092008

Here I report an accident which may be caused by Toyota unintended accelerate problem. We bought 2005 Toyota Corolla sport on July 09, 2004. We drive 2000-3000 miles/ per year. As we bought 5 years pre-paid maintenance, we have regular maintenance service with faulkner dealer every half year until July 09, 2009. There has no big problems during the first 3-year warranty period except on around summer of 2007, the check engine light is on and Toyota dealer replaced the computer control system without charge (we┐re not sure the replaced computer name and we think the dealer should have record). The weather condition is light-medium rain while our car accident happened. When the accident happened, my 5-year old son and I were in the car. The road speed limit is 25 miles per hour, I drove under the speed limit at a local road and it is about 2-3 miles distance to our destination. I remembered that I reduced the speed around a curve to turn on another road. Suddenly I heard a loud roaring engine sound came from inside, even I pressed and pressed the brake pedal for several times, but I feel that I step on the air, it didn't help. The car automatically accelerated with the speed I can┐T control and I lost the control of the steering wheel, my car was in malfunction status and crashed to the right curb and then hit the bush with a high speed and trapped in wet mud (thank for god). The engine was still roaring with a scared loud sound for minutes till I turned off the ignition and took off the key. Our car was damaged seriously by this accident, our car insurance company paid for more than $7,000 for the repair of this damage and I paid $1,000 for this collision. We kept both the police and repair record in case you required. At that time we didn't realize this accident may be caused by the unintended accelerate problem which recalled. Because our car computer system was replaced by dealer in 2007, we may still faced the recalled problem.

- Hummelstown, PA, USA

Jul 152009

At approximately 105,000 miles my Toyota Corolla began to develop harsh and jerky automatic gear changes which progressed. At 108,000 the dealer diagnosed this as a faulty engine control module ("computer") based on code P2716. Replacement of the module corrected the problem. I was informed that Toyota had a service bulletin dated September 20, 2007 tsb no. TC014-06 indicating that they were aware of this defect and would cover under warranty to 96 months or 80,000 miles.

- Beachwood, OH, USA

Mar 212009

ECU (engine control unit) malfunction causes hard shift on transmission. Total replacement charge sums up to $762 as per Toyota dealer. Toyota Corolla S 2005 replacement information in data base is 89661 02C11 vs. 89661 02C12 on physical engine control unit part. Compatibility in question. Customer service admitted to have a total of 4 car with same problem during the same week. Also said that they would replace it with an upgraded unit questioning the manufacture performance.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA