2006 Toyota Corolla brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Corolla:

2006 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Apr 152009

The engine light won't go out there is a error reading of P0031 on the O2 sensor been replace 7 to 10 times and the light still stays on even resetting.I have problems year after year with my brakes over all I lost total trust in Toyota Corolla plus a lot more problems Toyota takes forever to send out the recall letters. I have 8 recalls but when you go look it up its states no recalls well this is why I lost trust Toyota doesn't care they use to be the best car ever not anymore.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Oct 102010

On 10-10-2010 (approx). R. front break caliper ceased. Incident almost caused significant accident on I-25 North bound near Santa Fe blvd in denver co. Car suddenly lost acceleration power. Right wheel started smoking and almost caught on fire. Tire was hot to the touch. Toyota extended warranty only replaced caliper, not associated damage. I suggest you contact consumer protection bureau. Please see my other complaints, most submitted today, but I previous complained about breaks. This car is a deathtrap/lemon.

- Denver, CO, USA

Feb 012008

After periods of more than about 6 hours, first attempt at breaking does not decelerate car sufficiently to avoid accident. On going problem. I had mountain states Toyota and go Toyota (formerly john elway toytota) in denver, co look at the problem and they denied anything wrong. I've had breaks replaced since start of complaint, therefore lines have been bled, but problem persists. This is my second notification to NHTSA. First was several years ago. I have temporarily remedied issue by stopping twice in parking lot or neighborhood street before driving at full speed. I have to put break through the floor and car does not have full breaking power on first stop. Vacuum assist checked out ok. Had to use E-break to avoid accident once. James olsen

- Denver, CO, USA

Jan 312015

I did not use the car the whole Saturday until 8 pm. It was a very cold day in NY. I started driving and the brakes worked fine for the first 4 minutes, but after that I was going downhill and the brakes stopped working (they got hard to press) and the more that I pressed them the RPM became lower, I was only able to stop the vehicle by shifting to neutral, pressing the gas and then the brakes finally worked but then the car turned off by itself. Toyota has a recall for this problem for Corolla's 09/10 but not for 06 so when I called them the refused to help even though I told them I almost killed myself, being able to stop just a few feet away from an intersection.

- Spring Valley, NY, USA

Nov 072014

Brakes do not stop vehicle, brakes have to be applied to the floor to stop vehicle. Engine surges while at stop sign or red light. When shifting to drive or reverse vehicle takes off quickly.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 052014

My wife was coming back home after dropping our 3 year old daughter at the school. At a signal, while making a right turn after a red light stop, the steering wheel got stuck in the right-turned position itself. It could not be brought back to the straight position from the right-turned position. In fact, brakes also didn't work at the same time. As car was very slow (as it happened right after the stop for making the right turn at the red light signal), my wife, even though panicked, quickly hit hard at the steering wheel which released the steering wheel from stuck position. After this she was able to bring the steering wheel back to straight-wheel position and apply the brakes too. We are not sure if we'd run into this situation again so haven't driven the car since then.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Oct 082014

Corolla 4-cyl

I had to replace the brakes on my car almost every 1 year and a half because you could here something wrong with the brakes like they are metal to metal. Also have in side dome light problems the light will not come on when the doors are open the switch works when the doors are closed and on all the time. Clock has a short comes on for 10 minutes then goes out for months then maybe come on the off for months. Very up happy with Toyota Corolla le 2006 should not have problems with a car that is 6 years old now I had it 8 years and still have problems with the 0-2 sensors.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Sep 242014

Corolla 4-cyl

I was pulling into a parking spot at work (California state university East bay in hayward ca) at approximately 5 mph. I applied the brake pedal to stop the vehicle, but instead of stopping, it went over the curb, crossed the walkway, broke through and knocked over a large bush, rolled down an incline for 3-4 yards, and stopped when it struck a tree. I believe the incident appears similar to the current investigation under NHTSA action number DP14003.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Sep 022012

Corolla 4-cyl

After driving about an hour on a highway late on a very humid evening, I experienced momentary loss of braking capability while traveling over an uneven road surface (through construction area). This experience occurred repeatedly as I continued my ride along main Suburban roads and eventually into a residential area (at least 4 more times during a 20-minute period). I took the car to the dealer and Toyota corporate, who said that since they couldn't (didn't) replicate the problem, it was as if it never happened. What?!! they won't even look any deeper into my car (even if I'm willing to pay the cost) to see if there are any non-obvious problems for fear of legal liability. I was told that it would cost too much (~$650), and they couldn't guarantee the problem would be corrected. I told them $650 was a small price to pay in comparison to someone's life being put at risk. I am soo concerned that I'm risking my life (and/or others') by driving the car, but I feel that I'm at a loss to get help from those best poised to help me (the manufacturer & dealer). Has anyone else had this problem" can anyone suggest help, or another avenue I should pursue" I am scared to drive the car.

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Jun 022012

Corolla 4-cyl

I was pulling into a parking lot, applied the brakes, and it suddenly accelerated. I hit the brakes hard and it stopped. Later, I put it in reverse, and it accelerated forward. I hit the brakes hard and it stopped. I was driving around steep hills, which I don't do a lot. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

- Berkeley, CA, USA