2006 Toyota Corolla electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Corolla:

2006 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Oct 062009

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. While driving in a parking lot the vehicle shut down without any prior warnings. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the engines computer was replaced under warranty. Updated 11/17/09 the failure mileage was 32336. The current mileage was 32340. The dealer found a code for an ECM malfunction. Updated 11/18/09

- Holland, PA, USA

Jun 152009

2006 Toyota Corolla with approx. 36,125 miles starts but soon stalls within a time span of 15 seconds to 5 minutes. Efforts to restart the vehicle immediately fail posing a safety risk if the vehicle is in traffic (which ours was). After waiting approximately 10 minutes, the vehicle is able to restart but stalls again within the same time span of 15 seconds to 5 minutes. The battery is working as evidenced by interior and exterior lights. Gas is at or above 3/4 tank full. Car recently passed (April 2009) Pennsylvania standards for emissions and inspection.

- Mt. Pleasant, PA, USA

Apr 212009

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. While driving approximately 35 mph, the engine shut down and the engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that the electronic control module (ECM) failed. The parts for the repair are currently on backorder; therefore, the vehicle has not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 32,000. Updated 6/4/09 updated 06/09/09.

- Montgomery Village, MD, USA

May 042009

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. While driving between 10-15 mph on normal road conditions, the vehicle exhibited an erratic hard shift during acceleration. The check engine warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel and remained lit until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection and the failure was labeled as the pressure control solenoid. The component was replaced, but the failure recurred. The dealer performed diagnostic testing and they recommended that the engine computerized system be replaced under warranty. The vehicle has not been repaired due to the massive national back order for the part. The failure mileage was 69,500 and current mileage was 70,029.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Apr 042008

There were no deaths or injuries for this complaint. I'm guessing that these two incorrect entries will get this complaint reviewed by a NHTSA employee sooner rather than later. As noted by several other complaints, the 2006 Toyota Corolla's PCM appears to have a serious failure mode (I.e. control module turns off fuel relay causing engine stall). It also appears that the failure mode has a high occurrence. As of 4/6/2009 there was a two week national back order of PCM for this vehicle. I spoke with Toyota national customer service, there were 4 vehicles at a small Toyota dealership in grand blanc Michigan waiting for this service part. If these 4 vehicles are taken as a data sampling, there may be as many as 4 * 1400 dealerships or 5600 vehicles currently awaiting this service part and have failed in the field. Accounting for individual dealership business volume, my estimation is that there may be as many at 8000 field failures of this relatively serious failure mode just over the last 3-4 weeks. You NHTSA folks might want to give a call over to Toyota na corporate headquarters before some young people have there lives destroyed by a engine stall in high speed commuter traffic. Thanks. Cm. again, there were no deaths of injuries for this complaint.

- Inkster, MI, USA

Dec 102008

When I drive my car it feels like there is something wrong with the transmission when this started happening the engine light came on, so I took the care in to the dealership and they are telling me it's a computer problem that affects the transmission and that I need a new computer.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Nov 102008

My 2006 Toyota Corolla (le) randomly shut off in the middle of the road. After the vehicle shut off, it had trouble restarting. As it happened, we were driving on a side street and no accident resulted. I am concerned however, that if this happens to someone else on a highway, this could be a life threatening issue. At the dealership, I was told that there was a recall on the computer of the car. However after reporting the incident to Toyota customer service, learned that there was only a service bulletin regarding the computer and starting issues. No incident had been reported where the vehicle randomly cut off in the middle of the road. My computer has been replaced, but I still worry about the safety of the vehicle.

- Somerville, MA, USA

Nov 112008

Driving during rush hour, going home from work, car stalled, engine light came on. I was able to pull over, looked in owner's manual and for that "malfunction" failure, states to take to dealer. Had to have it towed. They replaced the "bad computer" "in warranty" (the next day, today) w/ an "updated one", just happened to have one in stock "for our customers" "we've seen this before, the nice man stated.

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

Jan 292008

Corolla 4-cyl

The computer quits and car stopped running as I was driving. I was almost broadsided. The lights turn off, the steering locks and everything just shut down. According to the service department at david maus Toyota, the computers are having a problem in the 2003-2006 Corollas. There is no recall on these items.

- Geneva, FL, USA

Feb 052007

I purchased a 2006 Toyota Corolla ce on 06-26-06. On 02-05-07 vehicle would not start. After several attempts it still didn't start. I called the local Toyota dealership and he told me to get a jump off because it was the battery due to the cold weather. I got a jump off and it still would start. I called the dealership back and he told me to call a tow truck. I did that and it was towed to the dealership. We needed all keys to see if it was the keys and it wasn't. he thought it was bad gas and it wasn't. then he said it was the computer. The computer was replaced and I still have trouble cranking it now. I would turn the key and it wouldn't do anything. After several attempts, it would crank. Before this incidence, in July 2006, not even a month after getting the vehicle, my brakes started squealing and they still do now. The rotor was defective and replaced. Each time I take it for servicing, I'm told there's nothing wrong with the brakes. I filed a complaint with Toyota customer relations with no response. Now I've filed a complaint with the national center for dispute settlement.

- Macon, GA, USA

Oct 312006

: the contact stated while driving various speeds and releasing the accelerator pedal the vehicle only slowed to 30 mph. Also, when depressing the brake pedal there was a extended stopping distance. Furthermore, the odometer had become inoperable. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where the cause of the problems could not be determined. Updated 11/30/2006 -

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 032006

Corolla 4WD 4-cyl

I purchased a 2006 Toyota Corolla le, and brought it home Jan. 2. next morning, Jan. 3, vehicle would not start. After about 7 attempts it finally started. I took it back to dealership, they checked it and advised no problem found. I drove it to restaurant for lunch, went out later, vehicle would not start. Called dealership and advised them of the same. Needless to say, I was very upset. Dealership advised me to call tow truck. I called tow truck and waited 45 minutes. I then attempted to try to start vehicle and it started. I drove vehicle to dealership and advised them I did not want a new vehicle that was not going to start. They advised they would check it again and to leave it. They did furnish me with a car to drive in the meantime. They called me Wednesday, Jan. 4 to advise me they had reprogrammed the keys and that the vehicle was ready for me to pick up. They went out to start it and it would not start. The called me back to advise me of same and they would check it further. They called me Friday, Jan. 5 and said they had put a new computer in the car and I could pick it up. I drove to the dealership, they went out to get the vehicle. The service personnel came back and said it would not start. I was so upset and wanted to speak with the service manager. I advised him I did not want this car, I just purchased it on January 2, and I requested they put me in another vehicle. That, all I want is a vehicle that will start and run. They advised they would not do that because I had already signed the contract. Well, I did not know the vehicle had a problem such as this. I was so upset and asked to speak with the sales manager. He basically told me the same. I told him I do not want the vehicle, it is brand new and I should not have these types of problems. He advised I had only 2 options; leave the vehicle there and they would try to repair it or they would call the company representative regarding the lemon law.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA