2006 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Corolla:

2006 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jun 282016

Corolla

Manufacturing defect with odometers in Toyota 2006. It is the federal law that mandate functional odometer. It appears that digital gauge in some Toyota cars was programmed to disconnect odometer at 299999 millage. Not only the replacement of odometer cost $600 but the new odometer will have to be set at 0 zero millage which is incorrect and fraudulent. Toyota odometer for whatever and unknown reason don't go pass 300000 miles. How otherwise the owner should keep a track of millage. Toyota doesn't seems to recognize this defect as a reason for recall and/or reimbursement. So far vehicle is in operation with millage stacked at 299999.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

May 242016

Corolla

The car was in reverse with foot on the brake when it suddenly accelerated out of control. The cause was definitely unintended acceleration and is the second such incident with this car since it was purchased used in December 2015.

- Richfield, MN, USA

Nov 132015

Corolla

I had my brake applied and was stopping on city street and engine started racing and it hit the van ahead. With my foot on the brake I shifted the car into the park position hoping to stop the racing engine, but, it didn't stop. I am seeking possible source of problem as I would like to keep the vehicle it has only been driven 34,000 miles. Car has been repaired but I want to be sure I can have it fixed so I don't injure or kill anyone,

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 222015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. While attempting to park, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into a beam on the sidewalk. The windshield cracked, but there were no injuries. A police report was not filed. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was towed, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,500. MA 10/15/2015

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Sep 052014

Corolla 4-cyl

The date and mileage I list are approximate. At first we thought this was an issue related to brakes not releasing, now we see it is related to a gas pedal/throttle issue. What happens is when taking off the car would fall flat, like brakes sticking. Now the problem is worsening, and it is apparent that the engine is not responding, that is, no RPM's building. It is not the behavior of an engine hesitating. It is running fine, just unresponsive. Now a few days ago Monday May 27, 2015 I had an issue and the car would not climb over 15 mph for about 1/2 mile. No missfire, no signs of anything wrong with the engine running. I had the gas pedal down about 1/2 way for the car to even move. The car was recently at midas. They seen no problem with the brakes.

- Elsmere, KY, USA

Oct 192014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate over 40 mph. The vehicle was restarted and all the warning lights illuminated. In addition, the vehicle failed to reverse and moved forward. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the shifter cable needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. On a separate occasion, while attempting to park, the vehicle accelerated without warning while the brake pedal was depressed. As a result, the contact crashed into a light post. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. MA 07/30/15

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jan 222015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the vehicle abruptly accelerated and crashed into a median, two trees and came to a stop after crashing into a residential garage. The contact mentioned that the brake pedal was depressed but the brakes failed to respond. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The contact mentioned the vehicle had three flat tires. The vehicle was towed by a flat bed but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 17,715.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

Nov 122014

Corolla 4-cyl

I noticed that my steering wheel was very difficult to turn so that "12" would go farther right than "2" or left than "10". I found that even within that "10" to "2" range, the car was not following my steering fast enough to make turns and curves as quickly as it usually does. I had to slow down sharply to stay on the road. Ten minutes later, I had to come to a complete stop in the road in order to direct the wheels into my driveway. During all of this, it seemed that both acceleration and brakes were less responsive than usual. Preceding the entire event, the engine had made some clacking/clanging/banging noises and the heat began to blow only cold air.

- Prospect, KY, USA

Dec 182013

Corolla 4-cyl

2006 Toyota Corolla. Consumer writes in regards to sudden acceleration issue.* ld the consumer stated she was pulling into a parking lot, with her foot on the brake. The vehicle revved twice and then accelerated and crashed into a store. Also, the air bag did not deploy. The vehicle totaled.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Sep 242014

Corolla 4-cyl

I was pulling into a parking spot at work (California state university East bay in hayward ca) at approximately 5 mph. I applied the brake pedal to stop the vehicle, but instead of stopping, it went over the curb, crossed the walkway, broke through and knocked over a large bush, rolled down an incline for 3-4 yards, and stopped when it struck a tree. I believe the incident appears similar to the current investigation under NHTSA action number DP14003.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Jun 132007

Corolla

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while stopped, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact did not sustain any injuries but the driver and front passenger from the other vehicle sustained injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed at an unknown location and was repaired. The repairs were unknown. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,572.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 152014

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while at a complete stop, the vehicle erroneously accelerated and the contact crashed into a pole followed by another vehicle. There were no injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. Updated 3/28/14 update: The consumer was stopped at a red light, and shifted to park, when the light changed green, she shifted to drive, and the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The consumer stated the police report indicated she was rear ended and then crashed into a pole. Updated 04/24/14

- Vista, CA, USA

Jan 272014

Corolla

I was backing up out of a parking space, stopped and put car in drive position, and 2006 Toyota Corolla accelerated to a high speed, engine roared. I put my foot on brake immediately, shut off engine and pulled emergency brake. Lights on dashboard were lit, and I had no power steering. Car bolted forward and hit the back of a parked truck which stopped my vehicle. My daughter was in the passenger side and experienced this horrible event. I was bringing her home from an operation on her arm. Needless to say, we were both terrified. Had car towed to the Toyota garage. The service manager said he couldn't touch the car due to protocol, and gave me the 800 # for Toyota. That was on a Monday and on Friday I had to get my own rental car as I had not heard from Toyota in regard to a rental car.

- N.Easham, MA, USA

Sep 012006

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated the vehicle experienced sudden acceleration and caused the contact to crash into the proceeding vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the front fender was replaced; however, there was no part replaced for the acceleration failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 250 and the current mileage was 53,000. Updated 11/13/13 the consumer stated it took a total of four (4) trips to the dealer in order to repair the acceleration issue. The paint on the fender began to peel after being repainted due to the accident caused by the acceleration failure. Updated 11/18/2013

- Baltimore , MD, USA

Aug 132013

Corolla 4-cyl

I was parking in my tandem parking spot behind my husband's car. I tapped the accelerator and then stepped on the brake to finish parking. When my foot was on the brake, the car continued to accelerate. I pressed harder on the brake but the car continued to accelerate, and stopped when it hit my husband's car. The hood, bumper, grill, and front fenders on my car were damaged. The bumper on his car was cracked. I am certain I was pressing the brake and not the accelerator. I filed a complaint with Toyota. They did an edr investigation on my car but could not replicate the problem or find evidence of sua. The person who did the inspection told me he deemed it was safe to drive. Toyota takes about 3-4 weeks to close the case from the time of inspection. I was still concerned from background information I had read about sua (that often it cannot be detected or replicated) and did not want to drive the car anymore. I traded in the car and purchased a new car (a Honda this time), and was up front with them about the incident.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 092013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph into a parking space, the vehicle unexpectedly increased acceleration. The vehicle failed to decelerate and traveled over a concrete parking barrier before crashing into the front end of an unoccupied vehicle. The driver's side frontal air bag deployed, which caused burns to the contact's left arm, bruised ribs and injuries to the chest area. A police report was filed and the vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was towed in an authorized dealer but was not inspected to determine the cause of the acceleration failure. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 86,500.

- Oreland, PA, USA

May 012013

Corolla 4-cyl

2006 Toyota Corolla. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle sudden acceleration. The consumer stated on two separate occasions, after he started the vehicle, and placed it in drive, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The dealer was unable to find any problems, and concluded it was due to driver pedal misapplication.

- Litchfield, NH, USA

Jan 262010

Corolla 4-cyl

I backed my 2006 Toyota Corolla into a friend's driveway, and then put the car into drive to straighten it a bit. The car suddenly without warning shot across the street (perhaps at 45-50 mph), went over a 6" high cement retaining curbing, and across a lawn into another driveway. All the while I had my foot firmly on the brake (not the gas pedal). I swerved the wheel to avoid hitting a telephone pole, and the house. I finally got the car into neutral, and at last the brakes engaged, and I was able to stop the car avoiding a pick-up truck in the driveway and a tree. During this entire time the engine was loudly revving. Other than 3 shredded tires and 2 ruined rims, the car seems to be intact. I have contacted Toyota and hope for a successful resolution. The service manager at the dealership where this vehicle was purchased, however, said that since it is not under recall there is nothing they can do. Meanwhile I will be fearful every time I get behind the wheel, which I have yet to do! 3 new tires and 2 new rims is a small price to pay - it could have been my life! had cars been passing by on this normally busy street, or children walking on the sidewalk on their way home from school - other lives as well could have been taken..this was a terrifying event! judging from all of the similar stories written regarding this make, model and year, Toyota needs to do a recall to solve this problem once and for all.

- Danvers, MA, USA

Oct 012007

Corolla

The contact owned a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 70 mph and making a turn, the floor mat became lodged between the floorboard and the accelerator pedal, causing the vehicle to erroneously accelerate. The vehicle crashed through a fenced, fell off a cliff and landed in a creek. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact sustained lacerations to the leg, a concussion and a shattered collar bone. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable. The VIN was not available.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Dec 022012

Corolla

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 to 50 mph the accelerator pedal jammed. The contact attempted to depress the brakes, but it failed to slow the vehicle down. He immediately placed the vehicle in neutral and pressed the accelerator pedal, which deactivated the sudden acceleration. The vehicle resumed normal function. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised him to take the vehicle to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was approximately 203,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Oak Hills, CA, USA