Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2007 Corolla. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2007 Corolla is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models have an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where now the NHTSA data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention. typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to to report your Toyota acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2007 Corolla, our data for the Corolla is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Corolla's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2007 Toyota Corolla electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Corolla:

2007 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Apr 012009

Corolla 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Corolla. Consumer states that the vehicle's engine began to speed up by itself while driving. The consumer also stated the engine light illuminated. The consumer stated he was involved in a car accident while waiting at a light. When the light turned green, he removed his foot from the brake pedal when suddenly the vehicle accelerated and the consumer hit the vehicle in front of him, and then another vehicle rear ended him. The vehicle was taken to the repair shop to have the necessary repairs made and to see why the vehicle was accelerating on its own. A few months later, the engine light illuminated again. The dealer informed the consumer the ECU needed to be replaced. Also, the air bag light illuminated and there was a knocking noise coming from the engine.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Nov 142010

Check engine light came on 11/14/10 and car started slam shifting, and died on freeway. The car started again, and I took it to xx in moreno valley next day. Dealer said faulty ECU (dtc P2716) and the part must be ordered. I asked if they could provide a loaner car because I don't feel safe driving the car with a faulty ECM. I was told part will most likely be in Tuesday or Wednesday. The dealer said a loaner car would not be provided unless the car totally stop operating. I live in san bernardino and work in moreno valley, approx 26 miles one way. I have aaa towing basic for 6 miles. I would usually purchase aaa southern ca automobile club towing for up to 100 miles, but because I bought a new reliable Toyota, I just got the basic towing in case the battery died. I don't have towing to get the car to moreno valley in case it completely stops running. I'm worried about safety and logistics! I don't trust this Toyota Corolla. Dealer will not keep the car and give me a loaner until the part arrives. Will Toyota be responsible if this car stalls again in traffic and causes an accident" will Toyota be responsible if this car needs to be towed to the dealer? will Toyota be responsible if the transmission becomes damaged from the hard shifting? will Toyota be responsible if the car catches fire from faulty electrical wiring" this Corolla has had brake and steering problems. Brake fluid always low, although brakes verified as repaired and okay by technician. The wheel bearing on the front driver's side wheel is going bad and the tire will not hold air. The tire has been examined and is good. I smell electrical burning once in awhile. The belt tensioner pulley bearing bad. Occasionally, smell antifreeze, which indicates a leaking head gasket. Wind noise, windows creak when moved up/down. The locks squeak. The interior rattles. The paint job is runny, weld points are sloppy. Car stalling, slam shifting, then cutting off. The car has a little over 50,000 miles.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Oct 192010

1. pulled up to a red traffic light and stopped 2. car stalled and would not restart. Called a wrecker to tow car to Toyota dealership. Traffic was blocked for around 30 minutes. We were in danger of being rear ended the entire time. 3. Toyota dealership said the ECU had failed and they installed a new one.

- Pineville, LA, USA

Aug 292010

My daughter's 2007 Corolla "check engine light" illuminated while driving back to college on 8/29/10. She stated that the car started to jerk periodically also. She was able to drive home safely the following day and I took it to my mechanic on 8/30/10. He said that there was a bulletin released regarding a recall on the ECM and to take it to the dealer for repair. I took it to Toyota mall of Georgia and handed the service rep the printout of the bulletin and explained what had happened. I asked him if this had to do with the recent recall - he said that this wasn't recent since the date on the bulletin was 2007. He said probably the ECM needed to be replaced and would call when he knew for sure. A few hours later he said that the ECM was replaced at no charge. In the interim, I had done some research and found that there was a recall bulletin issued on 8/26/10 so when I picked up the car later that evening, I questioned a different service rep and he said he didn't know about any recall! huh" didn't the other rep tell me that this was from 2007? I said why did you replace the ECM then, he said because there is a start up issue with the ECM. I told him we weren't having start up trouble, but that the engine light came on and the car started to jerk. I told him what I had learned about the engine stalling while driving and asked him if these issues were fixed with this replacement and he said no, just the start up issue!! he said since there wasn't a recall on the stalling issue, they couldn't fix this. I was totally confused and did not feel safe putting my daughter back in that car. Now I see all these complaints going back to 2007 regarding this. Toyota has known about this for 3 years and has done nothing to inform the public. Meanwhile my daughter has basically been driving a time bomb for the past 3 years!! I don't feel that the replacement has corrected the problem, so now what is my recourse" please help!

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Aug 072010

My check engine light came on a few months ago, and then turned off. My transmission started shifting rough and jerking between gears - particularly going in and out of reverse. A few weeks later my dash light went out, and my tail lights stopped working. I called Toyota, and they had me come in to the dealership to have my ECU re-calibrated. Rather than re-calibrating it, I was told after the appointment that they had replaced the ECU. The replacement ECU was installed on August 7, 2010. They were unable to help me with the lighting problem because they said it was a fuse problem. None of my fuses are blown. The car does not have as hard of a time shifting between gears as it did before the ECU replacement, but now I am hardly able to accelerate up the hill to my house. My engine revs up to almost 4000rpm just trying to get up to 30mph. The engine is working hard and is loud, the car has been vibrating during acceleration, and it takes a lot of pressure on the brakes to stop the car. There was a recall announced on my car, and I went to to check my VIN. It is involved in the recall, but I already had the new part they say I need installed and the problem persists. I want to return this car.

- Lynnwood, WA, USA

Aug 082009

Car stalled on highway at ~55 mph, and successfully restarted once. Stalled out again on highway later that day and needed tow to dealership. Dealership noted engine stalling below 1000 RPM, and could not communicate with computer (ECM). Dealership replaced ECM (89661-02K21) for free under warranty, and Toyota Corp. Reimbursed for towing.

- Farmingville, NY, USA

Jul 122010

We own a 2007 Toyota Corolla four-door with a 1.8 liter DOHC engine. Since purchasing this car, we bought it used with low miles, we have had four engine control modules in this car. The first one was in the car when we bought it. The second was replaced free of charge by Toyota in may or June of 2009 under tsb TC015-07. The third one was replaced in columbus, ga., by Toyota on July 12, 2010 which we had to pay for and the fourth one was replaced on July 14, 2010 by Toyota in mobile, al., free of charge under warranty...two days later. The second and third ECM problem caused the car to stall.

- Fairhope, AL, USA

Aug 022010

When I was backing out my 2007 Toyota Corolla the engine stalled (had the airconditioner at full blast as it was a hot day). Fortunately, I successfully restarted it and promptly drove it to the Toyota dealership (brought it first to Firestone autocare but they advised me to bring it to Toyota). They found out that the car was jumpy specifically when backing out. It was running funny even when moving forward. Before they fixed the car, they asked me if my car was still under warranty - (3 years or 36000 miles whichever comes first) and I told them that it was not. They told me afterwards that they had to replace the ECU unit and that I don't have to pay anything because it was still under warranty which I found strange as I was given the impression that the car was not under warranty.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Aug 072010

Read a story in usa today about the stalling problem with the 2007 Toyota Corolla. Asked my dealer about the problem, they didn't hear about it. Two months later while heading on vacation to Canada on Aug. 7, 2010, car stalled infront of mall in victor New York. After a few minutes, car started. Went to fill up gas tank (was at 1/4 tank). Couldn't start the car again. Called aaa. When tow truck came, we were able to start again. He followed me to parts store, it was closed. Followed him to his home to do some checking. Wouldn't start. Towed to lebrun Toyota in canadadequa New York. They replace ECU Monday morning. Lebrun was great at fixing the problem quick.

- Aurora, OH, USA

Aug 232010

1. 08/23/2010- left for work car stalled, hard knocking in gear. Car inoperable I had it towed to the dealer where I purchased it. 2. engine control module was replaced 04/23/2009, part # 89661-02K21, vehicle was still under warranty. This incident 08/23/2010 the service department advised the vehicle has the same issue, the engine control module which was replaced 04/23/2009, the engine control module at a cost of approximately $1000 to repair, plus the cost of a rental car. The mileage at this time is 83,419. So I am advised it is not under warranty. This same issue has occurred twice in two years. Not to mention the cost of this repair but will it happen in the next two months? it is obvious to me this vehicle has a defect. Thank goodness the car behind me was paying attention to fact I was having difficulties or an accident could have easily occurred.

- Charlestown, WV, USA

May 312010

I planned a 200-mile (one way) vacation over memorial day weekend, May 28 - 31, 2010. I had no signs of car troubles at the start of my vacation on May 28 and no car troubles during my vacation. However, as I was getting ready to drive the 200 miles back home on May 31, I started my car, but it died. I started it again, and it died. I made sure the accessories were off and that nothing was draining the battery. I then started the car again, and the engine ran for 30 seconds and then died. Since the car was still covered by the manufacturer's warranty, I called Toyota roadside assistance and the Toyota dealership, but the dealership's service department was closed for the holiday. With no way to get back home, I had no choice but to request a day off from work the next day, June 1, and contacted Toyota roadside assistance again. They towed my car to the dealership for inspection and repair. After they had a chance to review, they told me the computer/ECM (electronic control module)/ECU (electronic control unit) failed, and it was causing an electrical short to the entire car's electrical system. They replaced the ECM free of charge. While I am very thankful I was parked and in a safe location (not driving on the highway), this should not happen to a fairly new car with under 36,000 miles. I searched complaints, and it appears others have had the same issue with their 2005 - 2007 Corollas. Toyota issued a tsb but did not mail it to all their potentially affected customers. Toyota should be required to fix these cars instead of waiting for their customers to complain and tow it to the dealership when their cars break down!

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Aug 152010

I was driving in the rain one day and my vehicle just stalled out. I had not driven through high water, or had any brake issues, but the car stalled. Went to turn the next corner after I had restarted it, and it stalled again. This happened 4 times in a row. I took it into the shop and they could not find a problem with my vehicle. The problem still occurs about once a week.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 032010

Car failed state inspection once (emissions) because car's computer would not communicate with the testing equipment. Dealer retested and got it to pass / work. Two weeks later, the car, which never had any engine light indications stopped in city driving. The engine light came on and 3 seconds later the engine stopped. Had to drift over to the side of the road and have car towed. Engine would restart but not stay on for more than 1 minute. Dealer replaced the car's computer module (ECU).

- Sharon, MA, USA

May 052010

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While driving 70 mph the engine stalled and the check engine light came on. The contact drove onto the emergency lane and turned the vehicle off. He waited two minutes and restarted the vehicle and it began to function normally. The failure was intermittent and had become progressively worse over time. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the computer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000. The current mileage was 82,000.

- San Dego, CA, USA

Jul 262009

My 2007 Toyota Corolla with approximately 68,000 miles is suddenly having harsh to violent transmission shifts after the check engine light came on. I had a shop identify or diagnose the check engine light code. They said it was code P2716. I conducted an internet investigation and discovered several people also experiencing identical issues. Also, the same investigation revealed Toyota was aware of the issue and released a technical service bulletin. To me, the problem is not an issue of wear and tear. Instead, it's clear there's a defect in a part of the car which can potentially lead to an accident.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Jun 292010

I was driving my 2007 Toyota Corolla and pulled out into traffic and the engine just shut off causing the vehicle to stop. Several vehicles had to swerve and or slam on their brakes to avoid me. I had the vehicle towed to the local dealer where they replaced the ECM. I have read of other Toyota vehicles having this very dangerous problem. I could have been injured or killed because of this ECM failure, please see that Toyota repairs all these vehicles.

- Shenandoah Jct., WV, USA

Jul 092010

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While the contact was driving approximately 50 mph, the check engine warning light indicator illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle began to stall. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken an independent mechanic where they were unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic twice where the contact was informed that the failure was related to the computerized system. The diagnostic test was being performed on the vehicle when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage was approximately 54,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Jun 082010

2007 Corolla engine light came on and within a couple of minutes, engine totally died. Corolla would not restart. Car was towed to dealer where engine computer was replaced.

- Rising Sun, MD, USA

May 272010

My 2007 Corolla stalled at an intersection. I was waiting at a stop light and then all of a sudden the engine stalled and would not start again. I called a friend who helped me push my car to the side of the road. I then called aaa and they came and towed my car to a car service. This happened at 8:30pm today and so the car service was already closed and I will have to wait till Friday morning to understand what caused this. It was a harrowing and terrifying experience and I feared for my safety.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 032010

2007 Corolla le, auto transmission began to shift violently. Engine check light came on and the car became sluggish. Brought the vehicle into service and was informed that the ECU was bad and replacement was needed. I was told that this is a very common issue and Toyota released a tsb in 2007. The technician replaced the ECU only to find out that the replacement was bad as well.

- Aviston, IL, USA