Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2007 Corolla. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2007 Corolla is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models have an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where now the NHTSA data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention. typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to to report your Toyota acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2007 Corolla, our data for the Corolla is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Corolla's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2007 Toyota Corolla electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Corolla:

2007 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Apr 152010

My 2007 Corolla le had 59.5K miles when check engine light lit. While driving to work my check engine light came on. I stopped by autozone and they read the code it stated replace the ECU. I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the ECU. This is very disappointing since I previously owned a 1992 Toyota pesao and from 24K to 250K miles I never once had any issues with the engine or the electronics. Now this car is blowing up computers at 60K? last time I buy a Toyota!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 012010

Our 2007 Toyota Corolla's engine light had been on for a few days and then while my husband and daughter were going 60 mph down the road the car just shut off and would not start. Thank god he was on a country road and not in heavy traffic! had to tow the car to a shop to find out a few days later that the ECM is out!!! talking to Toyota right now to see if they will pay to replace. I see this has been an issue for Toyota Corollas. Why is there not a recall yet? someone could be hurt or even killed with this problem! please help before this happens to someone. Toyota needs to get on this asap!

- Crivitz, WI, USA

Apr 292010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. He was able to restart the vehicle; however, it became difficult to shift gears. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where he was advised that the ECM needed to be replaced. The contact was referred to the dealer where the vehicle was waiting to be repaired. The contact stated that the safety related defect could potentially cause a crash to occur. The failure mileage was 100,002. Updated 6/19/10 updated 07/19/10.

- Stewarts Town, PA, USA

Apr 222010

Driving my 2007 Toyota Corolla on a 4 lane highway, I was in the left lane to turn and the car just shut down. Coasted into a parking lot, and tried to restart the car and it was fine. Arrived home in the driveway, my husband opened the hood and asked me to turn the car on, left it running and it shut down in about 3 minutes. This happened on several occasions. Called the nearest Toyota dealer and scheduled an appointment. Had the car towed and was told by the dealer that the computer needed to be replaced. This was under warranty.

- Little River, SC, USA

Apr 112010

I own a 2007 Toyota Corolla which I bought in November 2006. Since that time I have had nothing but problems out of my vehicle, from cosmetics, to vibrating steering wheel, air conditioning issues, leaking struts, alignment issues, and most recently the ECM. I was driving to the store, and right before I turned into a busy intersection my car shook, and then the engine shut off. All of the lights and service indicators came on, and then shut off leaving only the check engine light on. I tried to start my vehicle again, but nothing. My friend had to help me to push the vehicle into a nearby parking lot. There, I was able to start the car again, and so I headed home. Just as I got to my house, the car shut off again, and right before it shut off, it wouldn't even give gas. I had my car towed to a nearby shop, and after checking the entire car and doing a diagnostic, I was told it was the ECM and that it would cost 650 to repair (and that's for a used/rebuilt one). I called Toyota, and they said that it was covered under warranty up to 80,000 miles. I am just under 80,000 miles thank god. The guy I spoke with sounded as if he wasn't surprised of the issue. I am having my vehicle towed to Toyota today, and I guess will see how this all pans out. The bad part about it all is, what if they fix the problem and it happens again" and what other issues are there that they know about and their consumers don't. plus, who is going to pay for peoples time off work for these repairs, and their inconveniences" at this point I am very disappointed in Toyota! I wanted to purchase the 2010 Toyota Corolla next, or the Lexus RX320, but I will definitely pass on that now!

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Apr 132010

While getting on the freeway my car lost almost all acceleration in heavy traffic. Pulled off the freeway turned off car, restated it and it sounded, felt normal. I drove 11 miles home. Next day: Driving to Toyota 2miles away, engine light comes on, car shuts down at intersection in traffic, blocks from Toyota dealership. Car stalls 4 more times to dealership.

- La Verne, CA, USA

Apr 092010

Yesterday our 2007 Toyota Corolla(13,000) stopped dead in flow of traffic on a highway-luckily we merged to shoulder narrowly missing being hit by traffic. The car was fixed w/ a new computer system. Checking if others had this problem it turns out that diagnostic code P0607 has a very bad & significant history with 2007 Corolla-cars just die!!! but no recall. We almost died and similar situations have been reported.

- New York, NY, USA

Apr 072010

My 2007 Toyota Corolla's engine shut off as I was getting off the entrance ramp to a busy highway. I was able to glide the car to the side of the rode. I restarted the car and pressed down the accelerator and the car would not go (even when I pressed the accelerator to the floor). The car shut off again. I restarted it, it lurched forward and immediately shut off again. I could not restart it again. The check engine, oil light, and battery light all came on but only the check engine light remained on. I had the car towed to the local Toyota dealer and they determined the problem was the ECU.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 062010

My 2007 Toyota Corolla sport just shut itself off without any warning while driving up a hill. It has done this several times since this first incident and my father-in-law who it a mechanic diagnosed the problem as a faulty ECM. According to him there are a lot of shops in our area that have had to replace them. The dealer even has the new updated part in stock, which means they know it is a problem. Do I have any recourse with all of Toyota's electrical problems?

- Hydesville, CA, USA

Mar 122010

On Friday, March 12, 2010, I was driving my 2007 Toyota Corolla home on my lunch hour and my car stalled twice on a sharp turn. I nearly lost control on the turn because the steering became (quite unexpectedly) very difficult. At first I didn't realize the car had stalled, causing the steering problem. That was the first time the car stalled. I immediately took it to my local Toyota dealership. They said it could be a computer problem, battery, alternator, etc., and they'd run diagnostics on it. After being there over four hours, all they said was that the battery was "marginal" but it took a charge. I asked about putting in a new battery and the service rep said he didn't want to do that. I wasn't charged for the diagnostic or battery charge. I believe, now that I've heard about the stall issue today in the news, that this problem is why I wasn't charged for the diagnostic test; however, I was not informed there have been problems with stalling.

- Sebring, FL, USA

Feb 272010

I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla. Twice the check engine light came on for a period of 24 hours and then went off for a week. I took the car to the Toyota dealer and they replaced the computer. I am reporting this as I know there is serious concern about the computer electronic system in the Toyota. I thought this piece of information might be helpful to you.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Jan 012009

2007 Toyota Corolla experiencing throttle surging. The consumer stated the vehicle took off suddenly. He applied the brake as hard as he could, but before the vehicle stopped it crashed into a heavy tool box and some other containers and into the back wall of the garage. The bumper was damaged. The second time, while backing out of the garage, the vehicle suddenly took off again. He immediately applied the brake forcefully, but the vehicle did not stop before he reached the street. There was no damage. The third time, the vehicle suddenly surged forward in the midst of stop and go traffic. Fortunately, there was space between it and the car ahead, so he was able to stop before contact. The consumer also stated he had problems with the door and ignition. He had four different batteries in the vehicle since it was purchased. He was told that the first two had bad cells in them.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 232008

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While the contact was driving 25mph the contact attempted to accelerate and noticed that the vehicle would not travel higher than a speed of 25mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact had the ECU replaced. The current and failure mileages were 25000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 032010

While driving my 2007 Corolla I lost power to the engine on a busy intersection. Thankfully I was not hit by oncoming traffic. Got towed to a garage. Received the code P0607. Researched and found a tsb on this issue tsb EG042-07. My car is at 94000 miles and the tsb only covers up to 80,000. This is a known issue with 2006 and 2007 Toyota's. I called Toyota corporate and a ticket was generated for my case. The district manager said she would do nothing to replace this part. So much for helping a (former) reliable Toyota owner. A recall was never done. I now need to replace a computer for $900 on a 3 year old car. This is a major safety issue. I see many others have had this same issue. I see that the NHTSA has begun an investigation on this. I hope that Toyota does not get away with this!

- Lewiston, ME, USA

Feb 202010

I was driving in a parking lot and my engine suddenly died, for no apparent reason. I tried to restart the engine but it wouldn't start. I coasted into a spot, and then I restarted the car. This time it started fine. The engine revved loudly. I attempted to move the car forward, but it stalled again after a few feet. When I reported it to the dealer, they told me that the ECM was bad, but they could not identify what had caused the defect.

- Durham, NC, USA

Feb 172010

While driving on a crowded 4 lane street in wadsworth Ohio, my car suddenly lost acceleration, it did not stall but the check engine light came on and the speed reduced to 5 to 10 miles instantly with busy traffic all around me, I put my hazard lights on right away because there were cars coming behind me at normal speed, I slowly moved my car cautiously to the furthest right lane, where I was able to go into a parking lot. This has happened on several occasions, I was able to get the car to my mechanic where he hooked it up to a computer analyzer, the result showed that the control module performance code P0607, which is a computer malfunction, we have contacted a Toyota dealer, we have an appointment for them to do there own diagnosis, and hopefully fix the problem, in the mean time I cannot drive car and not worry about my safety on the road.

- Wadsworth, OH, USA

Jul 242009

Have a 2007 Toyota carolla.this is what happened, me and my wife were out shopping. We went all over the place that day, we pulled in to the local walmart and the car just died. Tried to change the battery, but nothing. Had it towed to the shop. 1 week later they said it was a fusible link. (it just burnt in half). If this had happened on the way to work on the freeway I would have been killed. Had to pay around $600 to have this fixed was over the warranty by 4000 miles.

- Rougemont, NC, USA

Feb 182010

Engine stalling - ECM failure on a 2007 Toyota Corolla. Dealer replaced the computer right away free of charge. Part # is 89661-02K22 the car was running 40mph when it stopped and it almost got hit by the car behind.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Jan 292010

Driving on 210 fwy. Going East, speed was approx. 70, when car stalled, aka died. The car turned off and slowed down, making us slam on hazards and brakes. This same problem has happened twice in the past week. We took it to crown Toyota and found out the ECU is bad. But they then proceed to tell us its only covered for up to 80,000 miles. They then proceed to tell us its a problem on some Corollas, but not all. So there is no recalls, so we would have to pay to fix the problem.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Dec 312009

Rust on all wheels getting worse after 2 yrs. Had to have the ECU reset system replaced at 16,912 miles.

- Bradenton, FL, USA