CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2007 Corolla. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2007 Corolla is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models have an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where now the NHTSA data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Toyota acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2007 Corolla, our data for the Corolla is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Corolla's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2007 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Corolla:

2007 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Sep 102007

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph when the vehicle suddenly accelerated independently. The contact depressed the brake pedal but the vehicle would not stop. The vehicle then independently decelerated. The contact stated that the failure recurred approximately nine different times and would also occur when the vehicle was completely stopped. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician advised that the failure could be related to the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V384000 (engine and engine cooling). The recall repairs were performed on the vehicle. After the recall repairs were performed, the vehicle continued to experience sudden acceleration. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 10.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Dec 042010

Corolla 4-cyl

After pulling along side of parked vehicles and coming to a complete stop, while attempting to steer the vehicle back into a street parking space the vehicle self accelerated backwards and sideswiped a parked vehicle, crossed the sidewalk hitting a pedestrian traveled approximately 30 feet crashed through an iron fence and slammed into a building. This all occurred in less than 15 seconds.

- Landover, MD, USA

Apr 012009

Corolla 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Corolla. Consumer states that the vehicle's engine began to speed up by itself while driving. The consumer also stated the engine light illuminated. The consumer stated he was involved in a car accident while waiting at a light. When the light turned green, he removed his foot from the brake pedal when suddenly the vehicle accelerated and the consumer hit the vehicle in front of him, and then another vehicle rear ended him. The vehicle was taken to the repair shop to have the necessary repairs made and to see why the vehicle was accelerating on its own. A few months later, the engine light illuminated again. The dealer informed the consumer the ECU needed to be replaced. Also, the air bag light illuminated and there was a knocking noise coming from the engine.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Oct 292010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact had come to a complete stop and was attempting to shift into park when the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle went over a curb, through bushed and hit the front of a building. The rpms decreased after a few minutes. The vehicle was towed to a local dealer where it was awaiting inspection by an investigator sent by the manufacturer. The VIN was unavailable. The current and failure mileages were approximately 36,000.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Oct 302010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While driving 5 mph, the engine raced while the brake pedal was being depressed. The contact turned the vehicle off and restarted it; the engine continued to race and the rpms increased. When the contact turned the vehicle off and back on again, it performed correctly. The contact called the manufacturer who stated that the vehicle should be taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The failure mileage was approximately 25,000.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Sep 282010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While driving a very low speed with pressure being applied to the brake pedal the accelerator pedal involuntarily depressed and the vehicle surged forward. She applied heavy pressure to the brake pedal but the vehicle continued to lunge forward causing a crash. A police report was filed. The driver was injured and taken by ambulance to a hospital. The vehicle was destroyed and was towed to a salvage lot. The vehicle was not examined for the cause of failure. The failure and current mileages were 60,500....updated 02/11/15 updated 10/2/2015

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Sep 132010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The vehicle suddenly accelerated while driving 15 mph. The vehicle began pulling to the right forcing the contact to crash into some shrubs in order to bring the vehicle to a stop which caused damage to the front end. The contact sustained injuries to her back. The vehicle was towed to the body shop and repaired. The failure was not investigated. The manufacturer will be contacted. The failure and current mileages were 39,000. Updated 1/19/2010 the consumer stated as she neared a curve, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. To avoid crashing into a bank of trees, she quickly veered to the right of a field. The vehicle came to rest after she ran into some shrubs, damaging mostly the front drivers side of the vehicle. Updated 04/20/11 the consumer stated she received a class action check for $157 as compensation. The consumer believed her vehicle was part of a cover-up. Updated 04/02/14

- Matthews , NC, USA

Aug 292010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while at a stop sign, the vehicle suddenly began to lunge forward. The contact pushed harder on the brake pedal than usual but the vehicle continued to accelerate. He was able to control the vehicle by depressing the brake pedal with extreme force. The contact called the manufacturer who stated that there were no recalls related to the failure and offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The current and failure mileages were approximately 50,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Aug 132010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact was traveling 65 mph when the vehicle and the steering wheel began to shake abnormally. The failure caused the contact to crash into a truck. The contact was unable to maintain control and the vehicle crashed into a road sign and then into the shoulder of the road. The contact continuously depressed the brakes with no response and was able to stop the vehicle by applying the emergency brakes. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage lot. A police report was available. The contact sustained unknown injuries as a result of the crash. The vehicle was being inspected by the contact's insurance company however, the cause of the failure was not determined. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 32,000.

- Saratoga, CA, USA

Aug 112010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving 2 mph when the vehicle stalled. The contact stated that the vehicle independently restarted. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was contacted in regards to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact stated that prior the failure, there were repairs made to the vehicle control module to correct a hard shifting issue. The failure mileage was 48,000 and the current mileage was 48,800.

- Northridge , CA, USA

Jul 072010

Corolla

2007 Toyota Corolla was pulled into a parking spot when the car suddenly accelerated for no reason. This auto was taken to the dealer prior to accident for accelerator speeding up. The Toyota dealer was supposed to fix the accelerator problem and it happened again. This time the auto had come to a stop in parking spot, then started to accelerate - jumping the curb and hitting a tree. This is a Toyota known problem with this auto. It was not on the recall list but this problem has occurred before and should have been repaired.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jun 252010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while attempting to park with the brake depressed, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact was able to stop the unintended acceleration and when parking the vehicle, the check engine warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where the contact was informed that the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure but advised the unintended acceleration was caused by the throttle body control motor. The vehicle was not repaired. The very next day, the contact was driving at unknown speeds when the vehicle abnormally accelerated approximately twelve feet into a tree and continued to accelerate thereafter. The contact sustained injuries to the neck. A police report was available. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was contacted where he was awaiting assistance. The current and failure mileages were 29,272....updated 02/11/15

- Cary, NC, USA

Dec 252007

Corolla

I am writing to you because I was involved in a car accident in the first year of purchasing my car on December 25, 2007. I purchased a Toyota Corolla ce 2007 from denbigh Toyota (newport news va) on January 25, 2007. I believe my car accelerated into an electrical pole. I was only trying to park my car. It hit so hard, that the repairs to my car were in excess of $2600, and there was damages done to the electrical pole. It was a very frightening experience. The officers that helped me from the car asked what had happen. I told him that I really didn't know. I just wanted to park my car. The pole was directly in front of me, and there were thick shrubs between my car and the pole as well. My car accelerated so unbelievably fast, that I hit the pole the first time really hard. Then, I backed up away from the pole and the shrubs and stopped. I attempted to pull into the parking space again, the car accelerated and I slammed into the pole again. It was not the first major issue that I had with the car. Within 6 months of the purchase date, the vehicle stopped in the middle of the road, and locked up. I had it towed back to the dealership, to have them tell me that the computer system was faulty and on recall. So, I allowed them to replace it. Today, I don't know what caused my car to do what it did on 12/25, because it could have been anything. I just don't want this car anymore, and am a little afraid. I don't know what to do with it. I have many issues with the car, but am used to driving it. I can not afford an expert to look at my car. It can be sold, or I can trade it as I have only two years left on my contract. But, it is not the right thing to do. I don?T want what happened to me to happen to someone else. But, I don't want it to happen again to me. My model car is not currently on recall. My lawyer referred me to you. If you can help me in any way with my situation, I would greatly appreciate it. I need peace of mind for me and my family.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Oct 142008

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while pulling out of a driveway on a small incline, the contact depressed the brakes and the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact was able to stop the vehicle by applying both feet to the brake pedal and placing the vehicle into neutral. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The current is 18,080. Updated 08/17/10. The consumer stated she also had the same problem with a 2005 Toyota Corolla. She traded the 2005 and purchased a 2007 model. The consumer stated on four occasions, she experienced sudden acceleration. The dealer inspected the vehicle and stated there was nothing wrong. Updated evoq 08/25/10.

- Spooner, WI, USA

May 032010

Corolla

Three times, my 2007 Toyota Corolla suddenly slowed down on the highway while driving it. After the check engine light came on. I pulled off the road and turned off the car. When I started it a again, the car drove fine. This is a defect. I took care of the car. Please help!

- Homestead, FL, USA

Apr 262010

Corolla

I had just started my 2007 Toyota Corolla in a parking lot, I backed out of a my parking space, and put the transmission in drive. I was traveling approximately 3-4 mph, when I applied the brake to stop. The car continued to lurch forward. Even though my foot was on the brake. I applied more pressure to the brake, but the car continued to move. I had to shift the transmission into park, in order to stop the car. I then looked down at the brake and accelerator pedals. My foot was firmly on the brake and the accelerator was not depressed in anyway, however the engine RPM's continued to increased. I had to turn the engine off to stop the engine speed from increasing. I took the car to Toyota dealership immediately, but they found nothing wrong with the car.

- Grayslake, IL, USA

Jun 152008

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While driving at approximately 25 mph, the contact took her foot off the accelerator pedal but the vehicle surged forward which resulted in a crash. There were no injuries but a police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop but the mechanic stated that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The failure had not occurred since the first. The failure mileage was approximately 7,500. The current mileage was approximately 12,750.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 172007

Corolla 4-cyl

I purchased a Toyota Corolla in April of 2007 and returned it for service in may of 2007 or one month later as state on the service report, "customer state the car feels like the car wants to keep going after let of the gas takes more effort to slow the car". the dealer stated that no problems were found and sent me on my way. However, I haven't been informed of any recalls or corrective actions. I reported this 3 years ago. I will still at times get the brakes fighting the acceleration problem. I have original documentation from the dealer on the claim. Updated 09/15/10

- Grandview, MO, USA

Apr 052010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While driving, the vehicle suddenly accelerated, side swiped another vehicle, crashed into an embankment, while it was airborne it also hit a sign and crashed into a building. The vehicle also fell 3.5 feet from a retaining wall, crashed into a fence, down an embankment into a creek and stopped after crashing into a tree. Two passengers were injured and a police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The current and failure mileages were 53,103.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Apr 112010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated the rpms would race up and down followed by the vehicle suddenly stalling. The contact was informed by an independent mechanic that the vehicle needed a new computer after the vehicle was inspected. The contact planned to take the vehicle to an authorized dealership so that the dealer could look at it at the time of the complaint. The current and failure mileages were approximately 33,000.

- Carlstadt, NJ, USA