CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2007 Corolla. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2007 Corolla is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models have an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where now the NHTSA data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Toyota acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2007 Corolla, our data for the Corolla is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Corolla's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2007 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Corolla:

2007 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Mar 182010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While the contact was driving 15 mph pressure was applied to the brake pedal with a sudden acceleration and caused a crash to occur. A police report was not mentioned. There were no injuries, and the vehicle sustained damages. The manufacturer was notified, and requested taht vehicle not be repaired before an inspection was performed. The contact waited for more than two weeks without a response from the manufacturer, although several messages were left regarding the inspection date. The current failure and current mileages were 38,000.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Aug 152008

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph and making a turn, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into a ditch. The contact sustained a broken wrist and the vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle had not been inspected and the contact had not called the manufacturer when the complaint was filed. The VIN was unavailable at the time of the complaint. The failure and current mileages were 1,100.

- De Soto, TX, USA

Mar 232010

Corolla

I took my 2007 Corolla to the dealership on 1/18/2010 in bakersfield, California because of throttle surges, and at one point, loss of throttle capability. They replaced 1 part related to the throttle that cost over 1100 dollars. It continued to do the same things, and I returned it on 3/23/10, only to find out a computer board and oxygen sensor now need to be replaced at a cost of 1,000 additional dollars. I am very disappointed in Toyota's lack of ownership regarding these issues. If I choose to have the repairs made, I will then drive it over to the Honda dealership, to purchase a comparable replacement.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Mar 232010

Corolla 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Corolla. Consumer states repeated sudden acceleration. The consumer stated the sudden acceleration was random and intermittent. The consumer stated he was braking from normal roadway speeds of 30-60 mph and just when the vehicle was almost stopped, the engine would race and the vehicle would try to accelerate against the brakes. Fortunately, the brakes held its position and the consumer was bale to turn the engine off. The first two times, the engine racing occurred, he tried to shift the gear into park to prevent the vehicle from moving, however that resulted in the engine rpms acting erratically, so he then turned the engine off and back on again and everything went back to normal.

- Cedar Creek, TX, USA

Mar 102010

Corolla

The car accelerated instead of stopping when I applied the brakes to stop. The car sped off on its own and crashed against the fence on March 10, 2010. The acceleration of the car on its own is not new, but has not resulted in an accident.

- New Carrollton, MD, USA

Mar 032010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While driving 2 mph attempting to park and when the brakes were applied, the vehicle suddenly surged forward without warning. In order to stop the acceleration, the contact had to apply extreme pressure to the brakes. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. Three people drive the vehicle and all of them have experienced the unintended acceleration at different times. The VIN was not available. The approximate current and failure mileages were 40,000. Updated 04/22/10 updated 05/05/10.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Nov 182009

Corolla

2007 Toyota Corolla: When coming to a stop car will spontaneously accelerate and lurch forward. We have been spared any accidents but it is happening at least twice a day now and will do it when coming to a stop, and backing up. We have come close to hitting our garage and other cars because of this spontaneous acceleration problem. Failure started around 38,000 miles and is still continuing now at about 49,000 miles. Car has been to a trusted mechanic once and the Toyota dealership three times. Both said they found no problem and because we never know when the problem will occur, could not get the car to replicate it. Talked with dealership mechanics several times and all say there is nothing they can do until they can replicate the problem. Car does not fall under most recent Toyota recall, but is exhibiting similar problems to those listed in the recall.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Nov 102009

Corolla

We have a 2007 Toyota Corolla. We had been on the highway using our cruise control. When we came to the exit, my husband stepped on the brake and disengaged the cruise control and we stopped at the light. We were sitting there with the engine idling, my husband's foot was on the brake, when all of a sudden the motor roared and the car began to surge forward. He stepped hard on the brake and it stopped. Scared us to say the least. It has not occurred again, but sometimes when we are on the highway, with the cruise control on and it accelerates, it will not back off and the car will continue to accelerate until we step on the brake. If you step on the brake and disengage the cruise control the acceleration will stop. In light of the recent incidents we felt we should report these incidents. We read the report on the runaway prius and that you could not duplicate the incident. I am convinced, based on our experience that you will not be able to duplicate the incident. We feel strongly, based on the performance of our own vehicle that it is a computer/electrical problem of some sort and that it could be connected to the cruise control. As I said it has not happened again, but I wonder if it will at some point. We were very fortunate that no one was in front of us or we would have hit them.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Feb 122010

Corolla

Approximately Jan 26, 2010 2007 Toyota Corolla engine accelerated up to approximately 7000 rpms while my wife's foot was on brake only, car waiting for about two minutes at traffic light. Car was turned off. Car towed to Toyota dealer, dealer found nothing wrong, nothing done. Feb 12, 2010 again the car was idling, waiting for traffic to clear, to make right turn. This time engine started wildly accelerating as soon as my wife gave car a little gas, the car lurched forward rapidly, she hit another car, caused damage to both cars, no injuries. Car engine raced very fast again just after accident. Car towed to repair shop for body work only. Feb 24 just after car picked up at body shop, car was waiting in traffic to make left turn, foot on brake, engine accelerated up to 7000 RPM again, car turned off, towed back to Toyota dealer. It still sits there today, March 15. Dealer will not look at car, national Toyota tech team says they will call to set up appointment to look at car, maybe call this coming week, may not even start looking at car for several more weeks. We have not had use of car for one month, Toyota is convinced nothing is wrong, car is not recalled, Toyota seems determined to prove car problem did not cause accident, show no concern for what is causing problem. We have extended warrenty, but car is not getting fixed, we can not get rental car while car is in shop because Toyota is not being fixed. Car seems to be excellent canidate for studies, since it has had 3 sudden accelerations in a short time, two of them involving foot on brake, not accelerator, points to software problem. Toyota acts like they do not want software problem to be found.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jan 012009

Corolla

2007 Toyota Corolla experiencing throttle surging. The consumer stated the vehicle took off suddenly. He applied the brake as hard as he could, but before the vehicle stopped it crashed into a heavy tool box and some other containers and into the back wall of the garage. The bumper was damaged. The second time, while backing out of the garage, the vehicle suddenly took off again. He immediately applied the brake forcefully, but the vehicle did not stop before he reached the street. There was no damage. The third time, the vehicle suddenly surged forward in the midst of stop and go traffic. Fortunately, there was space between it and the car ahead, so he was able to stop before contact. The consumer also stated he had problems with the door and ignition. He had four different batteries in the vehicle since it was purchased. He was told that the first two had bad cells in them.

- Katy, TX, USA

Sep 012007

Corolla

I have been having two separate problems with the acceleration of my 2007 Toyota Corolla le. The first problem is with my gas pedal. I noticed that over the last several months my gas pedal has been becoming harder to press down. When I am pressing down the gas pedal I also experience the problem of the vehicle "jumping" and suddenly accelerating quicker instead of smooth acceleration as Toyota has said vehicles should have. This problem began about 8 months ago and has only been getting worse the second issue is with my cruise control. My mother actually noticed this problem before I did when she was driving my car but I have seen it happen a few times when I've been driving on the freeway. When I set my cruise control and there is any type of hill my car naturally decelerates slightly before my cruise control steps in and compensates for the incline. When I return to flat ground however, I would expect my car to return to the speed that I had set my cruise control to. Most of the time it does but on more than one occasion instead of picking back up to the set speed my vehicle has actually accelerated faster than the speed I had set. This problem first occurred within 6 months of the purchase of my vehicle. I didn't notice these as a problem because I had already checked to make sure my Toyota wasn't under any current recalls and it wasn't. my mother however pointed out that both of these things are abnormal and I needed to take them in to Toyota and file a report with you. I have a scheduled an appointment with Toyota for 10/22/10 but was told if they find a problem with either of these things it may not be covered because my vehicle isn't under the recall.

- Cypress, CA, USA

May 182008

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While the contact was driving 25 mph the vehicle suddenly surged forward without warning. The contact was able to stop the vehicle by applying pressure to the brakes. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact was informed that the failure could not be reproduced. There were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 2000.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Oct 012009

Corolla

My 2007 Toyota Corolla accelerated dangerously three times. I put on brakes with all my might, put it in parked position. No damage to anything, or anyone, but the sudden acceleration was scary. It's not among the recalled models. I removed the Toyota floor mat from the driver's side. I will go back to dealer : I want them to look at the car's computer.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Mar 152009

Corolla

Something is wrong with my car's acceleration and cruise control mechanisms. Sometimes, if I've been using my cruise control, and I'm coasting, the throttle will suddenly engage on its own and rev as if the gas was floored. In seconds the tachometer will climb toward the redline. Every time this has happened (about 5 times) I've hit the clutch and it has stopped immediately. I've never been in any danger yet, and it usually just leaves me scratching my head.

- Eugene, Or, OR, USA

Feb 052010

Corolla

The Corolla 2007 "S model" stopped or died on the road while driving. The check engine light came on and could not drive the vehicle when accelerator was pressed.

- New Richmond, WI, USA

Feb 212010

Corolla

The contact rented a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The driver stated that the rental company told him that there was no need to worry since they recently had the accelerator pedal recall repair performed. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 17,800.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Feb 272010

Corolla

We have two Toyota, a 2006 Camry le and a 2007 Corolla. In both cases in the last month we have experienced sudden surges while the cars were in gear but completely stopped. In the first, the 2006 Camry made a sudden surge ahead while waiting at an intersection. It lasted only a brief moment but it was quite noticeable. I reported it to our Toyota dealer right away and was told that it was not one of the recalled vehicles. The car was out of warranty and the service dept. Seemed unconcerned even though I insisted on the seriousness of it. The second occurred this last week and was far more serious. While awaiting at a stop sign the car began to rev tremendously and the rpms shot into the red zone. I had my foot firmly on the brake and immediately put the car into neutral before shutting off the engine entirely. I re started the engine shortly and no further problems resulted that day. I immediately called the same dealer and detailed the event to the service dept.. I was told to bring it in immediately, which I did.this one was under warranty and they did a code check on it and found nothing amiss. I know there is something wrong! I wrote to Toyota's website but have not received any response other than they would look into the first report filed after the incident with the 2007 Camry.

- Norton, MA, USA

Sep 122008

Corolla

An increase in acceleration with my foot off the accelerator pedal.

- Bowling Green, OH, USA

Dec 182009

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While driving approximately 10 mph when the brake pedal was engaged, the vehicle accelerated, crashed into a curb and nearly hit the passenger the driver stated that the vehicle came to a complete stop prior to shifting into park gear when it accelerated. The driver was forced to apply pressure to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle from accelerating. The failure has also previously occurred. The current mileage is 57,645. Updated 4/13/10 the consumer pulled to a stop in a parking space at a curb where she was meeting a freind who waiting on the sidewalk. She braked to stop at the curb but had not shifted into park, when suddenly the vehicle accelerated with no warning. Updated 07/01/10.

- Custer, SD, USA

Oct 022008

Corolla

The contact owns 2007 Toyota Corolla. In October of 2008 while driving approximately 45 mph on the right side of the road the vehicle suddenly accelerated up to 80 mph without warning. He collided into a tree and the driver frontal air bag did not deploy. The insurance company did not investigate the sudden acceleration, or the air bag failure. The police report number was not available. The failure and current mileages were 10,000.

- Winton, CA, USA