CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2007 Corolla. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2007 Corolla is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models have an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where now the NHTSA data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Toyota acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2007 Corolla, our data for the Corolla is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Corolla's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2007 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Corolla:

2007 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Aug 222008

Corolla

I was driving coming from my sister in laws house at grandview, Washington leaving around 7:40 am heading home to seattle going West to interstate-82 on Friday, August 22, 2008 with my three kids. I was using my cruise control and stayed on the left lane for about 20 to 30 minutes. We just left yakima city and headed to the fred redmon memorial bridge at around 8:30 am going up hill, in which I saw two tractor-trailer far in advance and both were driving on the right lane. The left lane was open as I drove in to the bridge but then the other tractor-trailer made a change to go to the left lane. I was probably 50 feet away when the other tractor-trailer made the change to the left lane. I was cruising about 50 to 60 mph in which I have to put my right foot on the brake pedal. At first, I thought I step on my gas pedal because the car did not slowdown a bit. I pressed the button to turn off the cruise control and hit the foot brake again and again. I then realized that my brakes did not work. As I was getting too closed to the left lane truck, I panicked and made a change to go to right and rear-ended the Volvo tractor-trailer.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

May 052008

Corolla 4-cyl

When I took my foot off the gas pedal the car continued forward as though my foot was still feeding gas. As a result I hit a parked car next to the slot I was trying to pull into. No damage to the car I hit but $2500 estimate for body repair to the car I was driving. I have had infrequent similar experiences with this car, but always in the past it has been momentary and inconsequential car will be repaired and is being taken in to service for correction of the problem described above.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 162007

Corolla

2007 Toyota Corolla unintended acceleration. Consumer states that engine accelerated at high speed, unable to control car or brake effectively. The consumer stated since purchasing the vehicle, there was some hesitancy in starting the vehicle during summer months and jerky acceleration.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Sep 112007

Corolla 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While attempting to park the vehicle, it surged forward and caused a minor crash. One year later, while attempting to drive uphill with the accelerator pedal slightly depressed, the failure recurred. The contact struck a metal post. There were no prior warnings before the failures occurred. She is currently in the process of having the vehicle inspected. The speed was unknown. The failure mileage was 1,500 and current mileage was 2,700. *additional information: The vehicle was in an independent mechanic shop getting an oil change. The mechanic asked the contact to drive onto platform and the contact states the vehicle over accelerated and hit a post.*smch

- Pasenda, CA, USA