CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2008 Corolla. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2008 Corolla is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models have an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where now the NHTSA data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Toyota acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2008 Corolla, our data for the Corolla is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Corolla's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2.6

2008 Toyota Corolla drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Corolla:

2008 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Jun 012016

Corolla

The driver side axle shaft assembly unexpectedly snapped when I went to shift the car into first gear when a light for which I was stopped turned green. There was enough of a connection for me to get off the busy rush hour road before being struck and killed or hurt by other vehicles. It was towed to a local Toyota dealer where they indicated the shaft had snapped and replaced it. They did not find any problems with the clutch or transmission (5 speed manual). The service rep identified the cause as a cut boot (shaft seal) which allowed grease to come out and dirt to get into the joint causing the failure. The rep noted this was "common". I asked if there were any warning for the condition. He noted there is none. The car is regularly serviced (this was noted by the rep); no abnormal conditions with the shaft seal were noted in any service visit. A catastrophic failure of a axle shaft assembly that renders the car immovable without warning is extremely unsafe and is not common. It risks the lives of anyone in the car or on the road near it when the shaft fails. I have never had a axle shaft fail on any other car I have owned and driven. I believe there is a defect and/or flaw with design, material specification, manufacturing process, and/or the quality of this component. I contacted Toyota to report the issue. They said to work with the dealer on inspections; I noted I have. They did not acknowledge the inherent large safety concern with such a failure. I had the car inspected by a independent mechanic a few days following return of the vehicle on 6jun2016; no issues were noted at this time. I question the safety and reliability of this car given the nature and significance of this failure. Toyota needs to review design and manufacturing to ensure such a unsafe failure is anything but common. Unsafe, unreliable cars should not be accepted as common.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Oct 052014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the engine warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission was overheating. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 012015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle's speed abruptly downshifted without warning. The contact stated that the failure recurred on several occasions while driving approximately 40 mph and down hills. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V384000 (engine and engine cooling). The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Aug 302013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the engine warning indicator illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and an authorized dealer for diagnosis and they both informed the contact that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 61,522.

- Torrance, CA, USA

May 312013

Corolla

Since, I bought this car brand new it would make noise rattle like something was loose. Every time I would take the vehicle in they would keep it the whole day for days and I was without transportation. They refused to lend me a vehicle. And at the end stated there was nothing wrong. Making it look like I was hearing things. The 2nd issue is when I put in reverse for example I want to parallel park and put it in reverse it gets stuck and reverses super fast. When I took back they said they heard it then they did not. Now the reverse part and rattle noise is worse. This has been happening and I go in to leave the car to complain about the same issues but on the paper they would always change the complaint to a new one. This is what has happened since I bought the car. At first they were nice but once I was out they were helpless. Then I had to return various times for a letter I got in the mail that the vehicle was on "recall". ever since buying a brand new car from Toyota has been a bad experience because I was with a new car but with the conditions of a used car. And to top it off they charge me to inspect the vehicle. Sadly to say these people don't car once they get you hooked on the car. Once you're out your alone and they won't back up their vehicles. And another issue the batteries died fast and I had to pay for a new one. And since they know one needs a car their is nothing to do but to suck it up this sucks!! warning!!

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 072009

Corolla

My 2008 4dr Toyota Corolla suddenly stalled while driving to work in the morning on October 7, 2009 without any early warning signs. Car was towed to the longo Toyota dealer in el monte, California. The diagnosis was ECM logic error. The ECM module was replaced under part number 89661-02R00.

- Rosemead, CA, USA

Jul 152008

Corolla

A run away full throttle engine in a 2008 Toyota Corolla (purchased in fall of 2007). I accidentally backed up into a tree at 2 to 3 mph. The rear bumper of the car hit the tree squarely causing no visible damage to car. The engine of the car did not die out after the impact. Upon shifting from reverse to drive -- the car lurched full speed forward (with full acceleration) despite full application of the foot brake and no application of the accelerator. I quickly placed the car in neutral and shut off the engine to avoid running into pedestrians, building and trees. After inspecting the car for damage and any carefully placing the car in park with parking brake and foot brake engage I restarted the engine. The car has run normally since this incident which took place July of 2008.

- Marlborough, MA, USA