CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2008 Corolla. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2008 Corolla is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models have an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where now the NHTSA data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Toyota acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2008 Corolla, our data for the Corolla is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Corolla's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2008 Toyota Corolla miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Corolla:

2008 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Jan 052015

Corolla

I purchased my car as the first owner in 2008 paid cash. Within a few years an engine light came on and they said it was the transmission. I kept up with all maintenance. I had purchased an extended warrantee of which was still valid and because the dealership could not find what was exactly wrong - my warrantee would not cover no replace and I was charged over $1500. I took this to bueru of automotive and they ruled in my favor so now I will be suing your company for monies owed on top of other things due to the company not being willing to give me my money back or fixing my vehicle. I have been a loyal driver of Toyota vehicles forever and a transmission should never go out in first 5 years - my car is still on the road but does not go backward - so there is something obviously wrong with this model amongst other things. The dealership manage to break my hood and the stick of which you put your car into drive with. I don't know if it is just clovis Toyota or what - but I am truly disappointed as to you how your company has handled my situation. Not only has your company robbed my family of a christmas, hard earned money as a single parent but also put us in danger. My air bags are bad as well and I never received notification and when I put my VIN in way back when- it said nothing was wrong. Ridiculous. My car is just a mess and unfortunately - I love my car. It has been most faithful and god is good to me and my family - but your company has not!

- Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 212012

Corolla 4-cyl

I had my Toyota Corolla 08 serviced on 4/5/11 due to a recall for the engine control module. After the Toyota dealer looked at they determined it did not need to be replaced according to "lot #7238" and on 8-21-2012 my wife was driving on the highway going 55 mph when all of the sudden the vehicle's electrical system just cut off. Luckily there were no cars in front of her at a distance and it started to slow down until she was able to control it and manage to park at the median. She said that the breaks did not work and the power steering did not work. She was terrified at that moment and feared for her life. The next day I took the car to the dealer and explained what had happened. They just told me that there was a recall and it should be fixed immediately. I asked the representative why this recall was not taken care of the first time I went to the dealer. He had told me that at that time it was not necessary to change the part which affected the electrical system. Well they should not have wasted my time, but looking back they were negligent on their part. I could have lost my loved one or one of my beloved children which could have devastating for me.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Feb 062010

Corolla

On Saturday February 6, 2010, my Toyota Corolla skid on the road was hit by another vehicle and crashed into a telephone pole.

- Darien, IL, USA

Aug 252008

Corolla

New vehicle for body and engine noise and various other noises not standard for a new vehicle.

- Nylstroom, 00, USA