2009 Toyota Corolla electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Corolla:

2009 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Dec 222009

Corolla

Purchased a 2009 Toyota Corolla on Jan. 31, 2009. Immediately noticed "unwanted acceleration", the car wanted to go when stopped unless the brake was applied hard and did not slow down immediately when foot was taken off the gas pedal. Gas pedal did not always come all the way up when foot taken off, but would pop up if brakes applied hard. Cruise control did not work properly. Mentioned concern several times to Toyota service dept. They told me that what I was describing was normal for those cars. The car was in an accident on 12/22/09. Hit another car from behind. I think that the "not slowing down immediately when foot taken off gas pedal" was a contributing factor to the accident. There were no injuries but the car was badly damaged. Toyota sent recall notice but said VIN#'s beginning in J not affected. Our car begins with J. recently send letters to Toyota and waiting for reply.

- Pacific Palisades, CA, USA

Feb 212000

Corolla

Both my wife and I have had a failure of the ignition switch in our 2009 Corolla to shut off when releasing the key on trying to start the vehicle.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Nov 272009

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The vehicle alarm would not operate on the vehicle and all of the interior lights failed. The dealer made repairs to the vehicle unknown to the contact. After the repairs were made to the vehicle, she noticed that the horn would not operate. She attempted to contact the dealer to make another appointment, to no avail. The dealer would not honor her request to inspect the vehicle. The manufacturer had not been contacted. The failure and current mileages were 1,652. Updated 04/16/10. Updated 05/10/10

- Kearny, NJ, USA

Dec 092008

Corolla

- the contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact started the ignition. Suddenly, the anti-lock brake system and brake warning light indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The traction control system warning indicator began to blink. The warning indicators remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was able to continue operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician cleaned ice and snow from the speed sensor connection. In addition, the electrical wires exhibited corrosion which were cleaned. The front brakes were replaced on three separate occasions as a result of premature wear. The failure mileage was 15,979.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Oct 102009

Corolla

2009 Corolla devoled a shuddering or stalling when depressing clutch coming to a stop which also drops rpms from 900 to a little under 800 when car stops causing the car to run rough and this drop happens all the time but it may drop slow or fast not the same every time this problem started at 5000 miles with oil consumption problem associated by Toyota reflashing ECM per tcb which one week later check engine light comes on #3cly cde showing miss fire tech erased code missing any diagnosis care still acting up gulf state Toyota tech says erase ECM still not changed dealer cant find code don't know how to fix. Last visit to dealer was 2-10-2010 dealer champion Toyota houston T713-943-7780 service mgr and gen mgr car ran fine until oilconsumption and reflashing ECM car has 7139 miles on it I am not pleased and wonder if you know what you are doing!!!!!!

- Pearland, TX, USA

Jan 012009

Corolla

In the past year, I have experienced sudden ┐jerks┐ during acceleration on at least two occasions, and had the vehicle inspected twice, in August 2009 and in December 2009. In both instances, Toyota mechanics advised they could not identify a problem. Additionally, throughout the past year, I have experienced noticeable problems with the electrical system, which raise concerns about the overall integrity of the electrics. There has been very frequent loss of power to the power door locks and manufacturer's radio. During the inspections, Toyota mechanics could not identify a problem in this area either.

- Islamorada, FL, USA

Dec 152009

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. While driving approximately 5 mph out of her driveway, suddenly, the "malfunction" indicator lamp illuminated on the instrument panel. The rear end of the vehicle began to vibrate. The warning indicator light remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The contact was able to continue driving normally. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The technician stated that the failure was contributed to rodents eating the soy based wiring. The vehicle was repaired for the identical failure on three separate occasions. The failure continues with no resolutions. The failure mileage was 21,837 and the current mileage was 22,200.

- Diboll, TX, USA

Mar 092009

Corolla

Battery went dead after only 9,693 miles. Car was stationery in a garage and lights were turned off. Dealer replaced the battery under warranty.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 142009

Corolla

2009 Toyota Corolla, "S" automatic transmission. The problem was initially identified by me when my car would not catch while on a slope in drive. The transmission would roll back. The dealership said this was normal due to a loss of pressure, however it would do it even if I barley stopped on a gradual incline for a few seconds. This has caused me to roll back unless I had one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas while to keep me steady to start. This happened at from the time I purchased the car. Recently, I my engine has been running really rough and winding at a high pitch while driving. It now intermittently goes between gears and downshifts automatically into gears that are not appropriate for the speeds traveling. This causes a drastic down speed, and example is I will be on the freeway traveling speeds between 50-65 and it will downshift and reduce my speed to 40 mph or less, then I will try to accelerate and it will redline out, as if I am in neutral and I will have no control to regain speed until it automatically pushes itself back into gear, and then increases my speed at a rapid pace, without me putting my foot on the gas. At this point, I am required to place my foot on the brake to control my speeds. The dealership has taken my car back twice and claimed to have fixed it twice based on the reads, but I have had the same problem. The reads on the computer will say that it is an electrical malfunction... however they can not identify where the malfunction is coming from. Parts have not been replaced and no repairs have been made to fix this at this time. Toyota is not assisting with the recall and I am left with lots of shop hours. Thinking about registering for the lemon law about my car, I drive apx. 1000 miles week and my car is not saving, consistent, and is a safety issue since have no control while my car malfunctions. I can only react to what is happening. It also makes a loud clunking sound, and a high winding sound when redlining.

- Wilsonville, OR, USA

Jun 162009

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. During inclement weather conditions, the vehicle completely stalled without warning. Five minutes later, the contact took the vehicle to a local technician and was informed that the lighting and excessive rain caused the vehicle to fail. The failure has not been formally diagnosed and the vehicle has not been repaired. The speed was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 18,000. Updated 07/17/09. Updated 07/20/09

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 172009

Corolla

Check engine light came on. Took to dealership for repair on Apr. 18, 2009. Mechanic determined it was a computer failure. Computer replaced. Check engine light back on the same day computer was replaced. Mechanic placed call to Toyota technical assistance. He was advised to try replacing wiring harness. Check engine still on after repair. Tech. Assistance then said to try replacing fuel injector. Light still on. Toyota has called in a field rep to assess the situation. Vehicle has been at the dealership for 12 days now and they do not know what is wrong. The computer is not registering any error codes.

- Greenville, NC, USA