2009 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Corolla:

2009 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Mar 052010

The car experienced sudden unintended acceleration that resulted in car damage and personal injuries.

- Bloomfield, CT, USA

Apr 152010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. When starting the vehicle in the park position, the engine began idling extremely high and exhibiting an unusual increase in engine rpms. The vehicle was not taken to an authorized dealer or repair shop for a diagnosis of the failure. The failure has not recurred. The failure and current mileages were 22,000. Updated 05/19/2010.

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Oct 082009

I pushed on the gas pedal to pass another car. When I did the gas pedal started accelerating to a higher and higher speed. I kept patting on the gas pedal with rapid hits, until it finally un stuck. It finally released but it took some effort. My next step would have been to turn off the key. The RPM's on the motor went very high. I new if I put the car in neutral I would have blown the motor. The RPM's would have red lined for sure. It hasn't done it since but it is frightening to say the least. I know for a fact, the floor matt had nothing to do with it !!!! period!

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Apr 132010

Unintended acceleration on my 2009 Corolla. It happened once. I called Toyota to report incident.

- Maspeth, NY, USA

Feb 152010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving approximately 40 mph slight pressure was applied to the accelerator pedal which caused the speed rate to increase rapidly; and upon release of the accelerator pedal a rapid decrease occurred. There was prior recall repair performed on the vehicle before the failure. The NHTSA campaign id number was unknown. Additionally, a loud grinding noise came from the front end of the vehicle when the brake pedal was engaged. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and informed that there was no problem with the vehicle and to increase the sound of the radio louder while driving to avoid the grinding noise. The failure mileage was 34,000. The current mileage was 35,800.

- Bayshore, NY, USA

Apr 112010

I own 2 2009 Toyota Corollas, 2 months ago I took both of them in for the recall. I was just made aware of the floor mat with accelerator pedal safety recall campaign.. Toyota, failed to inform consumers that this was an issue they have know about it for months. Not only did they keep this information from trusted consumers, they are also participating in deceptive practices. I received 2 notification of the recalls for both of my cars. I noticed that on none of the documents I received or on the envelope is any indication of a date. There is no date on the letter. So it leaves us as consumers at the vulnerability of the company, because we cannot show proof of when we received the notification. Toyota must stop this type of practice. This is not human.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Nov 272009

Driving North bound on I-90 in lane 2 from the right side, approaching near the North cumberland ave over pass at approximately 50 mph, when it appeared the auto in front was slowing down I applied the brakes and they did not engage or slow the vehicle down. With vehicle 1 rapidly gaining on the auto in front of it, I switched over to lane 1 quickly to avoid striking the vehicle from behind, when the brakes did not stop the vehicle, the speed continued to increase, when it appeared I was going to hit the wall to the right of the safety lane, I cut back into lane 1 and the car, now going at an uncontrollable higher rate of speed, made almost a complete left across all 3 lanes striking vehicle 2 in the 3rd lane on the right rear door, when spinning off of vehicle 2 the left rear of vehicle 1 struck the wall making the vehicle come to a complete stop.

- Harwood Heights, IL, USA

Nov 152009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while utilizing the cruise control at speeds of 65 mph, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer but the failure could not be duplicated. The were no repairs made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 16,000 and the current mileage was 18,500.

- Richfield Springs, NY, USA

Jan 072010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. While the contact was driving approximately 20 mph coming to a complete stop, there was a rough and extremely low engine idle. The failure was sporadic. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure and stated that there was no remedy for the experienced failure. The failure mileage was 10,021. Updated 05/25/10 the consumer stated the check engine light illuminated and the oxygen sensor had to be replaced. Updated 05/27/10. Updated 07/14/2010. Updated 07/14/10

- Parma, OH, USA

Dec 172008

We have a 2009 Corolla. The vehicle has been jumping right from the time of purchase when we mention to dealership they have told us there is nothing wrong with the vehicle several times. They don't even document it unless we are demanding it. We have not had an accident as of yet but the spring has been put under the pedal and it still wants to take off at times. It is not consistent but frequent enough to be concerned. Towne Toyota refuses to own up to this problem, the date is the first date we experienced it.

- Hackettstown , NJ, USA

Apr 022010

While driving at speeds between 55 and 60 mph, the car- without my foot near the accelerator- experienced a surge in acceleration. This happened at a time after I was using cruise control but had turned it off because I was coming too close to the car in front of me and needed to slow down. As I released my foot off the accelerator and moved it to the break, the engine revved dramatically. Once speeds reached over 65 (within one or two seconds) I broke and was able to slow the vehicle down and keep it in control. The accelerator pedal reinforcement bar recall was performed on 2/17/10. Took it to dealer, the found no problem and was unable to replicate the situation.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Apr 012010

Vehicle continues to have acceleration problem after recall performed. When slowing down - without gas or braking - at 20-25mph it speeds up to maintain that speed (maybe more) and becomes difficult to brake - as though it wants to continue at speed. This happens frequently and is easy to recreate - just slow down and watch it go.... it's dangerous - I have almost rear-ended other cars on a few occasions. Have appt with Toyota of winter haven fl today.

- Lake Wales, FL, USA

Mar 202010

I had been driving on the highway for about half an hour, and I was on flat road (the area was not even remotely hilly) with cruise control set at 70. The engine began making a whirling sound and RPM went from 3 to almost 6. my foot was not on or touching the gas pedal, and I was driving on flat road. I braked firmly and took the car off of cruise control. Toyota dealership did not find any problems.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 172010

I had a recall repair performed to my 2009 Toyota Corolla on 3/17/10 to install a reinforcement bar in the accelerator pedal. Since then, I have experienced problems with the car accelerating and/or not slowing down when I take my foot off of the accelerator pedal. Rather than correct a problem, the recall repair created a serious safety problem.

- Little Neck, NY, USA

May 092009

The contact rented a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph in reverse down his driveway when the vehicle suddenly accelerated into a building. The contact suffered a concussion and a stiff neck but did not go to the hospital. A police report was filed.the vehicle was returned to the rental Agency. The contact assumed that the rental Agency took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostics test and repairs. The current and failure mileages were 3,958.

- Pleasant Ville, CA, USA

Jan 212010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving at speeds of 65 mph, the accelerator pedal became stuck in the open throttle position. He was unable to stop the vehicle by depressing the brake pedal. He then put the vehicle in neutral and was able to stop the unintended acceleration. The dealer installed a reinforcement bar in order to prevent the failure from occurring again. The contact stated that the failure occurred three times after it was repaired. There were no further repairs made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 35,371 and the current mileage was 38,372.

- Hogansfield, GA, USA

Mar 192010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. While the vehicle was stopped at a stop light the vehicle suddenly began to accelerate without warning. To stop the acceleration the contact had to turn the vehicle off. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 17000.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Mar 182010

On 3/18/10 my son was driving our 2009 Toyota Corolla. He accelerated onto the interstate and drove for nearly a mile. He was using the blue tooth phone that is built in to the car. He hung up from the call and within seconds the cars RPM quickly increased for at least 10 -20 seconds. The vsc, ck engine, and trac lights all came on at the same time. He took his foot off the gas pedal and it felt like it was all the way back, not sticking but the RPM's were racing.- and going about 70 mph. He put the car in neutral- it is a manual and pulled over. The RPM was still racing. He shut the vehicle off. When he turned it back on the RPM was normal but the warning lights stayed on. The car had the recall repairs completed on Feb. 19, 2010. He contacted the local Toyota dealer and they asked him to drive it in, which he did. They checked his floor mats and there was not an issue with them. They have opened a service repair with Toyota Corp. The car is at the dealer at this time. This is the first time the car has done this.

- Windsor, CO, USA

Mar 172010

On my 2009 Corolla, I have continued to have an issue with slight acceleration and sudden RPM increase while the accelerator is not being applied, and usually when the brake is being engaged. This mainly happens while going downhill and it causes a forward motion jerk in the car that is felt by all passengers. I have had the recall regarding the metal accelerator patch, fixed. I have also taken my car into the dealership since the recall fix to address this problem and I was informed that all Toyota cars do 'this' and that it is normal. They did hook my car up for a health diagnostic which showed nothing abnormal. I have driven a large number of cars which include other Toyota, and I have never experienced this phenomena. I have also had multiple third parties in my car and they have shown surprise and concern when the car exhibited this behavior. I do need to say that I have never felt like I have lost control of my car while this occurs. However, based on recent accounts from other people that own Toyota, and Corollas specifically, I am not inclined to take a 'wait and see' approach to this matter. This problem happens on an almost daily basis, sometimes multiple instances in one day with 8-10 separate instances being the most counted in a 24 hour period of time. The mechanic that ran the health diagnostics (3/18/10) told me that given the number of computers that 'run my car' there could be a number of things going on that would cause this to happen but that any abnormalities would come up on their computer system, once the tests were run. Nothing apparently showed up. Approximate incident date below shows the date that this last occurred in my vehicle, but since there is not an option for date range, it is not going to accurately reflect the amount of time this has been going on (which has been almost the whole time I have owned the car, 2 years in July 2010).

- Cary, NC, USA

Jan 222010

S10 appropriate handling re Toyota vehicle problems fwd copy of police report documenting an accident involving braking failure and believe Toyota dealerships are still selling defective vehicles. 2009 Toyota Corolla. The consumer stated the brakes failed which caused her to crash into two guardrails.

- Lancaster, OH, USA