2009 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Corolla:

2009 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

May 152008

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. She stated that while driving at 65 mph, the vehicle accelerated on its own. She lost control of the steering. She was able to pullover to the side of the road, but she noticed that the vehicle wanted to still take off on its own. She turned off the vehicle and turned it back on. After a couple of minutes the vehicle operated normally and she took the vehicle to the dealer and the dealer reset the computer. The acceleration problem with the vehicle was not repaired and had occurred once again. This had occurred three additional times. There were repairs done to the vehicle and she is still experiencing the problem. The failure mileage was unknown and current mileage was 30000.

- Hempton, TX, USA

Mar 082010

Corolla

2009 Toyota Corolla car suddenly lurched the consumer stated while pulling into a vacant parking space, the vehicle suddenly lurched forward at full throttle pushing him back into the seat from the sudden acceleration. Even though, he tried to react quickly, the vehicle hit a curb then went over the curb and traveled 3 feet beyond before he was able to stop the vehicle by putting the gear into neutral and hard braking. The consumer exited the vehicle to check for damage, but there wasn't any. He noticed that the revved engine was idling at a normal speed. The consumer didn't believe what he experienced was an accelerator issue, rather a problem with the mpu and control circuit for the fuel and air mixture.

- Mount Plymouth, FL, USA

Feb 192010

Corolla

I own a 2009 Toyota Corolla. On 2/19/10 the car accelerated and I was ultimately collided with another vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 222009

Corolla

Purchased a 2009 Toyota Corolla on Jan. 31, 2009. Immediately noticed "unwanted acceleration", the car wanted to go when stopped unless the brake was applied hard and did not slow down immediately when foot was taken off the gas pedal. Gas pedal did not always come all the way up when foot taken off, but would pop up if brakes applied hard. Cruise control did not work properly. Mentioned concern several times to Toyota service dept. They told me that what I was describing was normal for those cars. The car was in an accident on 12/22/09. Hit another car from behind. I think that the "not slowing down immediately when foot taken off gas pedal" was a contributing factor to the accident. There were no injuries but the car was badly damaged. Toyota sent recall notice but said VIN#'s beginning in J not affected. Our car begins with J. recently send letters to Toyota and waiting for reply.

- Pacific Palisades, CA, USA

Mar 012009

Corolla

On 2/26/10 I brought my 2009 Toyota Corolla le to North hills Toyota/Scion service center at 711 browns lane pgh pa 15237 to have the recall work performed. As per the work order #tocs162571, the work performed was: Installing accelerator pedal reinforcement bar, brake inspection, installing intake air tube connector kit. Up until that time, I had not experienced any problems. On 3/1/10 at 10:25am, the 2009 Toyota Corolla abruptly accelerated to over 7,000 rpms while my foot was applied to brake as I was coming to a stop at a red light. The car continued to move despite applying extra pressure to the brake with my foot. I then turned the car off with the key, put it in park, waited approx. 1 minute, and restarted the car. The acceleration was much worse than the first time and the needle on the tachometer again went to over 7,000 rpms and the engine sounded like a "jet engine". I immediately turned to engine off again. The police were then called as the car was blocking traffic. The officer and myself pushed the car to side of road without starting it. Aaa eventually towed the car to North hills Toyota/Scion service center. On 3/2/10, deana hicks of the service dept. Called to say, upon inspection, they found nothing wrong with the car. I asked them to examine the car further and a service tech. Took it home over night in an attempt to replicate the problem and could not. At this point we were told we could take the car back.

- Wexford, PA, USA

Jun 232009

Corolla

Driver was coming out of driveway slowly. All of a sudden, car was in the middle of the road and was hit in the driver's door. 2009 Corolla was totaled.

- Oakton, VA, USA

Mar 022010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated after the vehicle had been repaired for the sticky pedal recall. The contact continued to experience the unintended acceleration failure with the vehicle. The current and failure miles were 4,000.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Corolla

On 2/25/10, I experienced the Toyota sudden acceleration problem with my 2009 Toyota Corolla le. I was on the way home from work in the late afternoon and depressed the accelerator to gain speed and change lanes. I was traveling I71 North in cincinnati, Ohio. The car downshifted and immediately ran full throttle. The brake system is also affected by this problem as I was unable to totally stop the car. The engine ran up over 7500 RPM, so I placed the car in neutral as I was instructed through the media. I was losing speed and I still needed to get over 3 lanes of traffic to a safe spot on the berm. I placed the car back in gear and was rapidly going over 80 mph. I was able to get over and when I tried to slow the car while in gear, I couldn't get it below 45 mph with both feet pushing hard on the brake pedal. I again put the car in neutral and was able to get off the road. The engine was again running at full throttle while I was in park. I turned on the 4 way flashers and turned off the engine. I waited and tried to start the car again so my wife could hear it on the phone and again it ran full throttle. About 15 minutes later the tow truck driver started the car and it ran normally. The kings Toyota dealer informed me that my car was not on the gas pedal recall list. After having a Toyota field engr. Look at my car it was determined that no problem could be found, that the computer health report showed no problem in the history file and the was released back to me on 3/2/10 with a no problem found diagnosis. They assured me that my car was safe to drive and put my family in. Bunk!!!! I no longer want this car, I would like to be released from the remaining 13 months of my lease and I will look for another car and not a Toyota. I was fortunate that I never was injured or that I injured some else. I have been experiencing harsh pain in my neck, shoulders and arms since the incident due to fighting to control the vehicle. I am going to see my doctor.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Feb 262010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated he put the vehicle in reverse and it took off with unintended acceleration. The recall repair was done on the accelerator pedal by installing a chip, however the acceleration failure had happened again. The dealer was called and the dealer instructed the contact to bring the vehicle back so the vehicle can be inspected. The Toyota manufacture had not been called. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 092010

Corolla

I had a car accident. I was driving a 2009 Toyota Corolla. My gas feed stuck causing me to collide with to other cars. I had the repairs done at Toyota.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 182010

Corolla

Vehicle was exiting the Washington grand complex. Due to there being no damage to the exit gate it appears the driver or the vehicle accelerated crossing ridgewood rd and for an unknown reason was not able to come to a stop striking 71 ridgewood rd causing structural damage.

- Rivervale, NJ, USA

Feb 262010

Car was surging.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Jan 182010

Corolla

Complete brake failure (14 months worth) and acceleration over 85-95 mph (with complete brake failure). I was injured at the time of the acceleration incident and the brakes failed completely. It occurred on January 18th, 2010. The car accelerated to 85-95 mph, and the pedal stuck. I had complete brake failure. I did not know what to do, and called my work. They told me to stick the car into neutral, and they connected me to 911. I was injured as my chest hit the steering wheel several times. I am resubmitting this complaint on the 2009 Corolla I owned as it looks like the brake failure issue I filed with your Agency was never investigated. I looked up the ODI number today, and nothing was reported on it for followup.

- Enosburg Falls, VT, USA

Corolla

I've had two recalls done on my 209 Corolla. The accelerator and the brakes. I've noticed that my gas pedal makes this whistle every time I accelerate. Shortly, after the brake recall I've noticed a difference in my brakes. The brake was mushy, I had to press harder on the brake just to come to a complete stop, and when step on the brakes, its not smooth and my car would pull forward. I went back to Toyota services to recheck my brakes only 4-6 days after I had the brake recall done. They said, they could not find anything wrong with my brakes. Its been 5 days since the last visit and I just recently reared ended someone. Luckily it was just a fender bender but I was lucky enough that it was nothing serious. The lady who I had reared ended had a 8-11 month child with her. I knew my brakes felt different, I knew there was something wrong but Toyota failed to see that. I am really upset with Toyota. I could of lost my life along with the lady and her infant.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 302009

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. While driving at various speeds of 5 mph and up, the vehicle would drive very "bouncy, " similar to driving a rocking chair, as described by the contact. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they could not duplicate the failure. Also, upon barely depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would abnormally accelerate as if she had slammed her foot on the accelerator pedal. While traveling around a curve or making a left or right turn, the vehicle would momentarily accelerate and feel as though the driver might lose control. The manufacturer was contacted, however they would not assist. No repairs were made to the vehicle to date. The contact was unaware if her vehicle was under recall. The failure mileage was 1,925 and the current was 88,050.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Corolla

Since purchasing my 2009 Corolla I had to have a belt change, I had an issue with the accelerator pedal they stated was my floor mat, and then my accelerator pedal would stick. The problem with the accelerator pedal would include times of low acceleration to the pedal sticking in the depressed position even if my foot was off the accelerator. In addition, since the snow is greater this year giving me a better idea how it handles in the snow I have encountered a dangerous problem that scares me. I wrote to Toyota about it on 2/24/10 and today 2/26/10. Below is my last E-mail to them. "driving in the snow 2/25/10 I encountered several times when the traction control kicked in and I had power loss to the vehicle. It happened even on the highways. The car would slow to almost a stop. I pressed and pressed on the accelerator picking up my foot and putting down at times to see if it would help but it would continue to slow or have total power loss where I could not go. It was as if I had no power to the accelerator. The pedal was limp. It is very dangerous, especially on a highway! driving and having the car then slow or stop or almost stop to where I can't go is dangerous, please help!!!!! again, in the drop down menu below for the sub-type of vehicle Corolla is not listed as a category. My car is a 2009 Corolla". the date selected below as incident date: I selected the incident date as the date of the last time the incident occurred even though the problem has also occurred before this date.

- Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA

Feb 022010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. While the contact was driving 30 mph the vehicle suddenly accelerated causing him to crash into an object which destroyed the vehicle. The contact injured his shoulder during the crash and a police report was filed. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 15000.

- Beachwood, OH, USA

Jan 152010

Corolla

Cruise control throws you back in your seat as soon as it kicks in going up a small incline. We've never had a cruise control that throws you violently back in your seat. It only happens when the cruise control is on - we feel it is an electronic problem. The Toyota dealer says they haven't had any complaints; we don't use our cruise control anymore just in case one day the brakes won't make the cruise kick out. This is the first new car we purchased in thirty years and now it's been recalled and the safety of this car is now in question. Very disappointing!

- Ontonagon, MI, USA

Oct 162008

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving at 65 mph. The contact was switching into the left lane when the vehicle started to accelerate excessively without warning. The contact also stated that power steering malfunctioned and caused the vehicle to pull to the right when she pulled the wheel to the left. The contact also stated that she heard a small tapping noise under the hood. The dealer was notified; however, an appointment has not been scheduled. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 8,000.

- Strathmere, NJ, USA

Dec 202008

Corolla

I was driving my 2009 Toyota Corolla in Dec. 2008. My car had 3000 miles on it at the time of my going off the road in my car. My daughter and I were traveling home in some very cold weather after christmas shopping. I was being careful due to the road being icy in places. We had went up this small incline and as we topped out I went to slow down by lightly pressing on the brake before we got to the icy stretch of highway, I had plenty of time to slow down but before I knew it we were on top of the icy highway spinning out of control. We spun out of control at least a couple times on the road with no control. We went off of the road, missing the mile marker by inches with my side mirror. We continued to go down a small incline and the car came to a rest at a large rock and rabbit brush. We were only a few feet away from going into a barb wire fence when we came to rest. I now have damage to my car. The 2009 Corolla is amazing how the ice and snow builds up on the undercarriage of the car. I know there is a recall for the vacuum assist also. I do not under stand why this recall is only for certain states that a Toyota is registered in. The way the car ices up underneath I can see how things could possibly ice up and not work correctly. We have some very cold weather in our state of nm and we are not under the recall. I do not understand the thinking here by Toyota. We did not make a report of this because I thought maybe it was something I did. I have played this experience in my head several times over and over and I know that I was driving with caution and was not on ice when I applied my brake. Now that we hear of all these recalls we have concern that the car may be under a number of recalls. We do not feel comfortable in the vehicle anymore but I cant just park my car. I did make a call to my insurance company when I got home but did not make a claim/report thinking it would be cheaper to fix than go through the insurance company.

- Quemado, NM, USA