2009 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Corolla:

2009 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 7 of 9)

Mar 302009

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. He stated that while driving at 45 mph on a rainy day the vehicle surged forward while having his foot on the brake and applying a lot of pressure. The vehicle was very hard to control, the steering turned very loosely and then he crashed. He sustained lower back injuries and the vehicle was destroyed. Toyota will be contacted to report the crash. Prior to this crash he had experienced this issue 2 additional times. The failure and current mileage was 22172.

- Thurmond, NC, USA

Feb 082010

Corolla

Our 2009 Corolla was taken to melody Toyota dealership for recall - accelerator pedal reinforcement bar installation on 2-8-10. Four days after the repair, my husband took the vehicle back to the dealership because he heard a whine noise from engine. After the car was being examined, service advisor verified this is a normal noise - no repair needed. My husband feel very uncomfortable with the annoying noise. He states that he never heard such a noise before the recall. Right now whenever he step on the gas pedal, the noise occurred. We would be happy if you would like to schedule an inspection in our area.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 182009

Corolla

Please I need somebody to help me with my case with Toyota. I had an accident back to July in my Toyota Corolla 2009. I hit someone house with my Toyota because (accelerator and pedal were stuck and I lost the control of the car. I didn't know what went wrong not only I'm a woman and I don't know anything about "mechanic, pedal... etc. When police came I tried to explain to them what cause the accident they told me that if I don't stop lying I can end up to jail. So the house owner sued me I went to a lot of procedure of lawsuit. I never knew that could happened to me. Three days after court, I received the recall letter from Toyota. I drove my car to Toyota I found out my car has 2 recalls ( accelerator and pedal). Please help me. At least Toyota can pay the woman that sued me and my medical expenses.

- Willingboro, NJ, USA

Jun 012009

Corolla

This is a follow up to a previous complaint. I felt compelled to do so after reading other issues people were having with there Toyota Corollas (s). I purchased this car June 1st 2009. Three weeks after purchase I noticed something was wrong with the paint. I took it to the dealers, the service dept manager looked at it and said it was due to the environment, the sales guy told me it was due to tree sap and the third time I took it the sales manager said it was from bird crap ( it's garaged most of the time). Weeks later I was hit by a concrete truck, at first thought it was the trucks fault but not real sure now because of the difficult steering with this car. At the time of the accident there was no air bag deployment. I had the car repaired by a private shop, they couldn't understand why the airbag did not deploy. While my car was there they looked at the paint. I have a black car with large white spots and was told there was a problem with the clear coat and it would cost around 4,000 to fix it. I again went to the dealership and was told this time that's what happens when you buy a black car. I have filed a complaint with Toyota and we all know where that has got me. I filed a complaint with the consumer complaint Agency and Toyota failed to respond. Boy, for a reliable care the only thing I can rely on is poor quality and a death trap. I have a Dodge and will drive it before this death trap. Good luck trying to do a lane change and looking into the blind spots. I have almost hit cars on my right while attempting to do a lane change more times than I can count.

- Gloucester, VA, USA

Feb 062010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Corolla. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle acclerated, crashed into another vehicle and was impacted on the passenger side. The air bags deployed and the vehicle was destroyed. The contact was taken to the hospital but did not sustain major injuries. The contact stated that the vehicle made a left turn own it's own and caused the crash to occur and that the power steering was faulty. The failure mileage was 36,000. Updated 05/10/10

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Dec 192009

Corolla

Driving my 2009 Toyota Corolla westbound and was approaching an intersection where the light was red. I slowed down on my approach to the traffic light and applied the brakes to stop car for the red light. The car slowed but would not stop. The light was still red and in the intersection was a man making a left hand turn to travel eastbound in his SUV. He saw me coming sped up his vehicle (also giving me the finger) I swerved to my right to avoid an accident. I had driven through the red light because the car would not stop. I took my foot off the brake and immediately the car accelerated without me touching the gas pedal. I applied pressure to the brake again and brought the car back to the speed limit. This incident occurred shortly after Toyota made the announcement about problems with their floor mats. I stopped the car and checked my floor mat and it was not in the way at all of the accelerator pedal.

- Holland, OH, USA

May 172009

Corolla

Gas pedal in my 2009 Toyota Corolla stuck while my daughter was backing up and caused her to go into a tree causing $7,000 in damages to my car, which my insurance paid for and she is paying higher insurance from the accident. Also my car does have steering problems driving over 50 mph.

- North Attleboro, MA, USA

Jul 012009

Corolla

I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla that is part of the gas pedal recall. I believe it may also have the steering issue as well. I have noticed that my steering is all over the place, it takes 2 hands to generally run smoothly. My husband complains about it more, I just love my car so I defended it but now that I have heard there may be a problem, I think it should be looked at alittle closer. My other issue is that when we called the dealership back in jaunary in regards to the gas pedal they very nicely informed us that they were repairing the more expensive vehicles first and then would schedule me an appointment. Is that allowed? no offense, but my life is just as valuable as a Camry, 4 runner, or other vehicle that they consider more expensive. I wanted a Toyota Corolla so bad and now I would do anything to get rid of it.

- Millsboro, DE, USA

Oct 252009

Corolla

As I approached a stoplight the car started accelerating. I quickly put the car in neutral and watched the tach slowly keep going up. I reached down and pulled up on the gas pedal and got no reaction so I turned the ignition off. When I turned it back on it was ok then.

- Buckhannon, WV, USA

May 092008

Corolla

The contact previously owned a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the vehicle is a 5 speed and it had acceleration problems with a manual transmission. The vehicle was involved in a crash because even though the vehicle was not in gear the vehicle kept accelerating. The contact no longer owns the vehicle. The VIN was unavailable.the current and failure mileages were18000.

- Fall Church, VA, USA

Nov 162009

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated as he was driving at 60-70mph the vehicle accelerated. As he depressed the brakes the vehicle slowed down. The contact called the dealer and was told his vehicle was not included in the recall and does not have any failures because his VIN number starts with a "J'". the VIN number was unknown at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Newbury Park, CA, USA

Feb 112010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while driving at 50 mph the accelerator pedal became stuck and the vehicle accelerated up 75 mph while entering the highway. The contact put the vehicle into neutral and applied the brakes but the vehicle would not slow down. The contact had to apply more pressure to the brake pedal in order to slow down the vehicle. The contact was able to slow the vehicle down and bring it to a complete stop and shut the vehicle off. The contact check the pedals to see if the floor mat may have caught the pedal but the floor mat was in place. The contact then had the vehicle towed home and soon after called the manufacturer. The manufacturer towed the vehicle to a dealer to have a diagnostic test done. The vehicle is currently at the dealer. The contact feels the accelerator pedal stuck and caused the vehicle to rapidly accelerate. Failure mileage was 24,000.

- Wise, VA, USA

Feb 152009

Corolla

The description I am sending in may or may not be connected to the Toyota recalls for brakes or gas pedal sticking. My experience is that everytime I step on the brake pedal I feel something move under my feet. Sometimes it feels like something is rolling under the carpet. My floor mats are snapped into place so I know that they are not moving. I plan on taking my car to a Toyota dealer on Thursday Feb. 18, 2010. This feeling has been there since I bought the car back in August of 2009. My car is a 2009 Toyota Corolla le. They say because it was made in Japan I do not have anything to worry about. We will see.

- Plymouth, ME, USA

Nov 282009

Corolla

My daughter and son-in-law while driving in their 09 Toyota Corolla, experienced uncontrolled acceleration; on a straight piece of dry pavement, causing the vehicle to shoot into the oncoming lane (a condition known as torsional steering by some) on a 2 way traffic road striking a car in the oncoming lane and thus causing a major accident. There were only slight injuries. Though the wheels were pointed straight ahead, the car veered left as the car uncontrollably sped up. My son-in-law states that his foot was not on the pedal. The action initiated after he depressed the pedal to accelerate along with other traffic. The car was repair by the insurance but still has the original problem. It has only done it the time that the car was involved in the accident and my daughter and son in law have been reluctant to use it since the accident so thus we have not had the experience recur. Yes the original part is available and still on the vehicle, though Toyota is scheduled to either repair it or replace it soon.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Jun 162009

Corolla

The 2009 Toyota Corolla that was purchased in 2009 accelerated, on it's on Accord while pulling out of the garage. This caused the car to increase in speed so quickly that the car hit the natural gas meter located next to the house.the force of this impact combined with the acceleration caused major damage. The gas meter began to leak and the force of impact and continuing acceleration of the vehicle, literally ripped a gash in the side of the car, approx 5 feet long. This gash was caused by the regular on the gas meter. (the meter is well out of the way of the path and has never been a problem. It has been in this location for decades. The vehicle only stopped because it was forced to, as the small section of the gas meter which impacted the car was unable to continue ripping into the car. As it finally came to a point where the door ended and the passenger side front quarter panel began. This was not reported to the police, as this happened on our private property. In addition, we saw no point in reporting it to NHTSA as we could not fathom that it was even the cars fault. As perplexed as we were that this happened, until recently, we have never been able to explain why such damage would be caused by pulling out of the driveway at such a slow speed, or even how we managed to hit the gas meter. With the given news of the sudden acceleration recall, we now have a very clear picture as to what happened. The vehicle was never repaired as the cost of this repair is going to be more than we can afford at the moment. Additionally, the gas meter began to leak and had to immediately be turned off and an emergency repair call to the gas company was made. The regulator on the meter was replaced, but we were without gas in the house for a short period. Thankfully, the house did not explode. We are very concerned about this as this car is driven 80 miles a day to go to work and return daily.

- Lansing, IL, USA

Sep 232009

Corolla

I purchased my 09 Corolla in August of 09. Since then when driving on highway, the gas pedal gets stuck at about 60mph then accelerates on its own to about 70 mph. It has happened about 10 times and I am concerned about it.

- York, PA, USA

Jul 212009

Corolla

This description is correcting my description I just filed with you. As soon as I started driving my car upon leaving the dealership after purchasing the car, I noticed it moved forward as if being bumped from behind as I let up on the accelerator. Also, if I removed my foot quickly from the pedal and waited a few seconds before placing my foot on the brake, the car would make jerky motions and the tachometer (RPM) would jump wildly. I didn't know if the problem was in the accelerator or in the electrical system. I brought it to the twice for the problem but they couldn't find anything showing up on the diagnostic computer check the first time. The service tech did have to re-set the original setting on something and he told me to bring it back if that didn't fix it. The problem still existed so I brought it back the second time and the tech rode with me and he also felt what I was experiencing. He tried to explain it away but I couldn't believe that it was the car getting used to a new driver as he said it was because it is still having the problem and I have driven the car for 1,225.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jul 212009

Corolla

Car moving forward as I let up on the accelerator. It also jerks when I quickly remove my foot from the pedal for a few seconds and before I place my foot on the brake and the altimeter goes up and down several times when I do this as if it is stalling out. It has done this every time I drive the car and I had it to the dealership twice but they couldn't find anything wrong according to the diagnostic machine so I still have the problem.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jan 052010

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. While driving 60 mph and various speeds the cruise control failed to disengage when the brake pedal was applied. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The failure mileage was 900 and the current mileage was 12,403.

- Clarksville, IN, USA

Feb 042010

Corolla

About 5:30pm on Thursday evening (2/4/10), I was driving home N on silver lake blvd & 36 St. It was lightly snowing, the streets were wet and slippery, and I was driving under 15/mph going downhill. As I pressed the brakes, the car went faster, and did not stop until I badly hit the car in front of me and went over the curb. My car is a 2009 Toyota Corolla. About 2-3 months ago, Toyota sent me a recall notice for the brakes, much before the nationwide Toyota recall hit the media. And now, even after I did recall a few months ago, this is the second time that such a brake-related incident has happened to me ever since the recall. I feel that this accident is related to another brake defect of the newly-replaced/altered brakes, and would kindly ask for it to be further investigated.

- St. Anthony, MN, USA