2009 Toyota Corolla fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Corolla:

2009 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Mar 132010

I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla with a serial number starting with a "J". Toyota told me my car isn't part of the recall. I have experienced two occasions where the accelerator pedal has been stuck. Once when the car was in park about two months ago and I though it was the floor mat so I switched out floor mats since my car was not part of the recall. Then on sat, 3/13/10 I was merging on to the highway and I pressed down hard on the gas pedal to speed up because a car was beside me. All of the sudden the pedal was stuck and I continued to speed up when I let pressure off the gas pedal. I put my foot on the brake and the car wasn't stopping. Thinking I wasn't pressing hard enough I put both feet on the petal still not even slowing down. Finally, I shifted the car into neutral and could still hear the engine revving but the car slowed down quickly. Thinking that I was imaging it when the car slowed enough I shifted it back to drive and it took off again without pressing the gas pedal. I quickly shifted it back into neutral and was wondering what I was going to do and I heard a loud pop or snap with the gas pedal and then the car was fine. It stopped accelerating on it's own without me turning off the car. I checked the floor mat and it wasn't stuck. I called the Toyota dealership and they are looking at the problem but said they have been instructed not to fix anything if they can't replicate the problem because it's not part of the recall as the car I have was made in Japan. I also called the Toyota general line and reported the problem. My concern is that my car won't be fixed as the warranty runs out at 30,000 miles and I have 29,000 miles on my car and the recall doesn't cover my model. I am nearly certain that Toyota hasn't recalled all of the car affected because it's not the specific gas pedal that's the problem as my car doesn't have the identified gas pedal. The problem isn't related to the gas pedal. I don't think they know what the problem is.

- Ham Lake, MN, USA